How to prepare and cook Rabbit.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
Anyone tried rabbit cooked in a pressure cooker (or dutch oven ) with chopped onions, sliced carrots, button mushrooms & prunes, not forgetting a generous sprinkling of port. ?..... Cook for around 20 minutes (until the carrots are soft) & served with sautéed potatoes..............you'll never eat rabbit in any other way again

Last edited:

BillyBlade

Settler
Jul 27, 2011
Lanarkshire
I love rabbit, and where I live the place is teeming with the little furry friends. Wifey even feeds a couple of them with leftover fruits etc. Not unuaual to see 5 or 6 at a time having a play around on the driveway at dusk. They are even getting bold enough to appear late afternoon in the daylight.

However, you've guessed it, should I decide to take one for the pot, out would come 'the mental' in short order. I'd be in it so deep I'd need a stepladder to climb out. she had them as pets as a kid, and still has a massive soft spot for them.

Hence, I leave that to when out in the woods, no female influence :rolleyes:

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
One of the reasons for giving it a salt soak is to get rid of the urine taste, as even if it's had it's bladder drained immediately on shooting it still tends to hang about in larger rabbits - and of course with shop-bought stuff you don't know if thats been done. Some people think it's "gamey" and desirable, but I don't!

I'm with you there. I hate that rabbity smell and taste. Salt water and some vinegar as a soak for me.
I'm sure I've said it before but the sex and size of rabbit makes a hell of a lot of difference.

Full size buck - scent glands and tough as bullets - not for me, that's ferret food.
1/2 - 3/4 size buck - not bad as a fryer, muscles haven't been worked enough to toughen them up.
Milky doe - that's the money shot right there, if only you could get them every time.

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
Last time I cooked rabbit I didn't have a clue what I was doing. Gutted and skinned a couple of rabbits, then just jointed it and put joints in stewpan (bones and all). Onions, carrots, red wine, herbs etc. Slow simmered until meat was falling off the bones, then lifted out the meat and removed the bones.

Served it at a party - it vanished so fast I only got a taste - so I must have got something right.

You can cook rabbits in the same way that you would make any slow cook chicken dish.
Stew
Casserole
Braised

I find that white wine and garlic go very well and if you make a tagine using North African spices - heaven!

Not a massive fan of salt water soaking, but then I use little to no salt during cooking. My last rabbit was jointed and braised in white wine and garlic with rosemary, then the meat taken off the bone and added to some cannalline beans that had soaked overnight and been cooked in chicken stock with chorizo...... I'm off out again this weekend!! Having just made myself hungry again.

little_leaf177

Tenderfoot
Oct 24, 2011
Liverpeewwll
hi, new to te whole bushcraft forum thing but would consider myself as someone who spends alot of time using bushcraft kit
as f the rabbits what i would say is any rabbit is edible as long as.. A) its dead.. that always helps, otherwise its hard to pin down with your fork B) the liver is clean of white spots C) the rabbit looks healthy and generally doesnt have warts, lumps tumors etc D) its cooked!
apparantly even rabbis with myxi are edible.. but after whats i've seen/heard i wouldnt touch the buggers..best bet is if ya see a bunny with myxi... do it a favour n put it out its misery. it'l only be eaten alive by birds...

n always save the skins and heads... split the skull, uae the brain for the tanning solution n save yaself a fiva for a soft rabbt skin.. aka a nie cheap glove warmer

cheers

Dec 16, 2007
Interesting.
Only cooked Rabbit once which I got from the butcher and just put it in slow cooker in salted water for 6 hours and it was vile. Now I know where I’m going wrong I need to soak over night then boil several times. D’Oh!

Seems a lot of hassle for such little amount of meat?

Well you could cook it with hot rocks throw away the rabbit and eat the rocks. Should taste better. Thats what we do with the bush turkeys out here. LOL

awarner

Nomad
Apr 14, 2012
Southampton, Hampshire
Digging up an old topic rather than create a new one to discuss all over again.

I prefer the meat to be as fresh as possible, apart from a very quick wash it's normally skin and in the pot. I would never soak it for hours on end, cook it properly and away you go.
Pressure cooker is my normal preferred method but tempted to do a stir fry paella type stir fry at my next camp with the scouts.
I generally try to use a simple gravy/stock with virtually no herbs etc just to let the meat speak for itself, I find that too often in food that adding wine, herbs etc mask the true flavour.

Colin.W

Nomad
May 3, 2009
Weston Super Mare Somerset UK
I didnt get the chance to taste mine, I went out with a friend shooting when I came home I dropped the rabbit by the path in the back garden to urgently answer the call of nature, in the mean time my wife let the dog out and she must have thought it was her birthday. by the time I realised what was happening cut my business short and ran downstairs there wasn't enough rabbit left to make a rabbits foot keyring

320ccc

Jan 25, 2012
USA
you can make it as hard or as simple as you want.

to my palate a rabbit is the only thing that actually tastes like chicken (though rattlesnake tastes like chicken-flavored art gum eraser).

any recipe you have for chicken will work for rabbit.

breaded and panfried is my favorite.

or braise it in oil with garlic, whatever spices you like and serve with pasta.

rabbit parmesan is simple and easy.

dumplings and rabbit stew.

the real trick to most small game is cleaning it as soon as you can.
the warmer the temp outside the sooner you should clean it.
since it's tender and not "gamey" don't bother aging (hanging) it.
if you aren't going to eat immediately, rinse any hair or dirt off, pat the carcass dry, cover it and stick it in the refrigerator or freezer, it will taste better.

a lot of the recipes for rabbit stem from eating spoiled meat (i think). hassenpfeffer for instance. it's good but why cover up the mild rabbit flavor unless it wasn't.

our season for bunnies doesn't start until autumn and conventional wisdom says wait for the first frost. supposedly to prevent picking up rabbit fever.
i wait until it's good and cold because i don't like fleas, ticks and spoiled meat.

as i understand it some of you in the uk run sighthounds and lurchers against rabbits. our greyhound and wolfhound wouild go stark raving nuts chasing bunnies but they just broke the critters' necks. almost as cleanly as shooting them. my terrier however would shred the poor guys if she cornered them before i could pop them.

like any animal if the innards are damaged too badly before or during butchering the meat is going to taste bad. the only thing you can do then is the brine soak or even milk works. rinse it well and use a pretty aggressive spicy recipe, mexican, indian or even thai. something hot and strong.

that's about all i know about cooking bunnies.

addendum: the rabbits we take locally are cottontails. they eat grass and the vegetables in my garden.
a couple hundred miles west of here you get jackrabbits as well. they eat sage and bushes, etc.
their flavor is very strong. for them i just skip right to the spicy recipes. the meat is stringier. some
folks pressure cook it, i just braise some good flavor into it, then cook it on low until it's tender.

Last edited:

JoshS

Nov 16, 2010
Outside
320cc is right, gut them quick.

The other good advice I read in "Countryman's Cooking" by W.M.W. Fowler is when you joint it remove the pelvis, as this is where the strange rabbit taste comes from. After removing back legs slice down close to the pelvis bone from the saddle on each side, then twist off. BTW that book is hilarious and I would highly recommend it to anybody, just read the reviews on Amazon.

Last edited:

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
320cc is right, gut them quick.

The other good advice I read in "Countryman's Cooking" by W.M.W. Fowler is when you joint it remove the pelvis, as this is where the strange rabbit taste comes from. After removing back legs slice down close to the pelvis bone from the saddle on each side, then twist off. BTW that book is hilarious and I would highly recommend it to anybody, just read the reviews on Amazon.

It's the anal glands in the pelvis area that you want to remove.

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
Sorry guys but Im a bit confused, would love to try rabbit, but do you soak it or not? I fear this is another marmite jobby lol
Cheers
Steve

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE