How to prepare and cook Rabbit.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

NetFrog

Forager
Jul 17, 2011
Scotland
There are a million and one ways of cooking a rabbit. When I was a kid we used to gut, skin and BBQ straight up and I loved it. The livers are perfectly palatable too, just check for spots as this can be a sign of disease. Stews, braised, BBQ etc. It is meat and can be cooked like all meats and is probably one of my favourite foods. As for soaking, the need for this is only if you want to follow a particular recipie, it is NOT a requirement.

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
There are a million and one ways of cooking a rabbit. When I was a kid we used to gut, skin and BBQ straight up and I loved it. The livers are perfectly palatable too, just check for spots as this can be a sign of disease. Stews, braised, BBQ etc. It is meat and can be cooked like all meats and is probably one of my favourite foods. As for soaking, the need for this is only if you want to follow a particular recipie, it is NOT a requirement.

I see exactly what your saying mate, I got told the other day that if its butcher bought you cant be 100% that the bladder had been drained (im assuming if you dont it taints the meat) then boiling it is best then using the meat for pies etc, but if its very fresh and you can drain it yourself then you dont need to boil it. Does that sound about right/ or am I talking complete tosh lol?
My own view, and im certainly no expert, surly its like any other meat in that how it tastes depend on how its cooked/what its cooked with? Even if its just bbq then it will take on a smoky flavour!!
For me the idea of boiled rabbit doesnt sound too nice!! But then again Iv never tried it!!
Cheers
Steve

Grendel

Settler
Mar 20, 2011
Southampton
Slow boiled rabbit in salt water is the only way i have tried it myself and it was rank. So i'm interested in the responsed of how to cook it better since if i ever get around to bunny hunting i'll need some idea of how to use the meat.

On another note i presume you can dry it and make rabbit jerky???

NetFrog

Forager
Jul 17, 2011
Scotland
I see exactly what your saying mate, I got told the other day that if its butcher bought you cant be 100% that the bladder had been drained (im assuming if you dont it taints the meat) then boiling it is best then using the meat for pies etc, but if its very fresh and you can drain it yourself then you dont need to boil it. Does that sound about right/ or am I talking complete tosh lol?
My own view, and im certainly no expert, surly its like any other meat in that how it tastes depend on how its cooked/what its cooked with? Even if its just bbq then it will take on a smoky flavour!!
For me the idea of boiled rabbit doesnt sound too nice!! But then again Iv never tried it!!
Cheers
Steve

I trust my local butchers here and a bit of Rabbit pee aint going to do you too much harm once washed and cooked :-D However the gall bladder is located within the liver and contains concentrated bile which is fairly nasty stuff, if that bursts then yeargh.

As for boiling, yeah boiled wabbit doesn't sound too appetising, roast, stewed or BBQ wabbit is looovery though!

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
Slow boiled rabbit in salt water is the only way i have tried it myself and it was rank. So i'm interested in the responsed of how to cook it better since if i ever get around to bunny hunting i'll need some idea of how to use the meat.

On another note i presume you can dry it and make rabbit jerky???

Thats exactly my interest mate!!! Im tring to get back into shooting, although Iv dispatched my fair share for some reason Iv never actually tried them!!
But this time Im going to fill my boots lol

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE