How to move stones alone for a distance?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tjurved

Nomad
Mar 13, 2009
Sweden
Hello I'm thinking about moving some stones about 100 kg in weight for a distance of 100-200 meter to make a strong bench. No powertools and I am not worlds strongest man! Guess I could handle the weight but a stone isn't easy to secure on a backpack... how would you solve this problem? I'm thinking about some sort of sled and drag them on it on the ground. Rolling the stones on the ground would be very hard work!

Chance

Nomad
May 10, 2006
Aberdeenshire
Lever, sled, car, rolling, hand-winch, cargo strap, truckers' hitch using a garden fork as an anchor... I've tried them all. Mostly, I've used rolling and patience for all but the most awkward or the worst terrain. Having said that, 200m is a bit further than I'm used to.
Can you get hold of a wheelbarrow? If you can push drunkards around in one, it should handle the weight; and it's better suited to rough ground than a pallet truck, engine hoist or supermarket trolley.

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Hi Tjurved, If out in the bush, id go for the sled and just drag the stone.
The best way would be a wheel barrow with a pneumatic tyre for a bit of suspension and bounce over the lumps and bumps. Watch out for thorns though !

Good luck.

slammer187

Nomad
Jul 11, 2009
Ireland
Wayland has an article about Mors Kochanski's flip flop winch on his website somewhere of you want to check that out :)

ged

Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Hello I'm thinking about moving some stones about 100 kg in weight for a distance of 100-200 meter ... I'm thinking about some sort of sled...

You haven't really given enough information. The distance might not seem far on a level, metalled road but if it's up a 30% incline in a field that's different. I'm with the wheels brigade (car trailer, or wheelbarrow) unless you tell us the territory makes that unsuitable. I carried this house about 50 metres up the garden in my wheelbarrow, about 100kilos at a time. It took a while. I had to carry the garage a little further. :)

Of course if it's reasonably level ground, then as you're in Sweden if you wait until the winter then a sled might work well. :)

Have you considered learning to weld? :)

Eric_Methven

Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
Lever the stone onto a sheet of plywood, place log rollers underneath and use a SPANISH WINDLASS to pull the plywood along with very little physical effort. You then just need to keep moving the used rollers to the front until you get to where you want to be. This method will probably allow you to move two or three large stones at a time.

Eric

forestwalker

I did someting like this (probably a bit heavier than 100 kg, but only one fairly flat slab) a few years back. Uneven ground, but fairly flat. Used round pieces of firewood as rollers and simply pulled it along by hand after attaching a rope to it (no great effort, and rigging a windlass would have eaten much more time, in particular since I had to navigate a dense aspen stand.

The wheelbarrow plan fell down on one thing; there was no way to get the rock into it; way too heavy for me to lift, and alone there was no way to "lever" it into the wheelbarrow. A friend and a sufficiently strong handcart (the kind used to move boxes) might have done it.

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
Lever the stone onto a sheet of plywood, place log rollers underneath and use a SPANISH WINDLASS to pull the plywood along with very little physical effort. You then just need to keep moving the used rollers to the front until you get to where you want to be. This method will probably allow you to move two or three large stones at a time.

Eric

I am with eric on that one, that would be the easiest way to so this.

I read somewhere once some advice from an american farmer...

If you have to move a large heavy object, roll it, if you can't roll it, drag it, if you can't drag it, push it, if you can't push it: burn it.

Obviously no burning the stone but could there be another solution to this.... create a bench with some wooden plank.

Sorry not to be of more useful help....

Grtz Johan

Tjurved

Nomad
Mar 13, 2009
Sweden
Thanks, some clever thinking going on in this thread I gotta say :). Half the way is a clearcut and the other half is a moss. The reason I wanna use stones are because they don't rotten and they are sturdy. They also keep the heat from the fire. On the stones I might use some wood...

ged

Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
I use these quite a lot, I have five of them rated at 1.5 tonnes, but the chain is only about two metres long. These are useful for longer distances. In a pinch you can use an ordinary chain block to drag things around, they have longer chains than the pull-lifts but they are less convenient to use horizontally.

Stone makes sense if you want your bench to hold some heat. I didn't realize that you wanted it to be hot -- I'm always trying to stop things on and around mine from catching fire! :campfire: :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE