How to make non expensive char cloth?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
I use new dusters
£1 for 5 or 10 depending on where you get them from
The fibers are very thin so take a spark very well

Whatever you do don't make any charcloth when Mad Dave and Dr Jones are anywhere near you.

As Drew found out once the perfectly formed charcloth that he made miraculously changed back into pristine dusters whilst cooling in the tin and he was accused of buying fire retardant dusters... :lmao:

Neanderthal

Dec 2, 2004
Cheshire
Char Pith

Elder pith chars really well if you want to try something free and a bit more bushcrafty. A bit on the fragile side though so wrap it for transport.

Stu

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

georann

Feb 13, 2010
Warwickshire
www.slice-of-fire.co.uk
+1 to the dusters! And I find a boiled sweet tin is amply big enough. Less space in the tin seems to help and takes less room on the fire (which also makes it easier to control the heat). You'd be surprised how far it goes so don't feel like you have to make a ton of it!

Posted by carrier pigeon

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Boiled sweetie tin works well :D and if you're making a big batch then one of those tall, skinny redondo biscuit tins are very good.

We just use a blow torch.
No stink in the kitchen, and very controllable.

Old well washed jeans, old well washed dishtowels, old well washed tshirts....common theme, washed and no fabric conditioner left in them, and it all works well.
Knitted cotton dusters are very good too though.

For natural stuff, pack the tin with offcuts of fomes, the tubular inner bits, or slices of piptoporus or the inner pith of the reedmace or similar. The latter's a bit messy since it can be full of water, but if you used dried it's not so bad. Punk wood is very good too.

M

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
I have an issue with making charcloth in large batches - any more than a few days in this weather and I find it gets damp and becomes difficult to ignite rather than being the fire-lighters friend that it ought to be.

So I carry cloth ready to char and a short length of copper pipe. The pipe is bashed flat at one end all bar a tiny hole the other end is left round and smooth.
I use freshly made stuff to light a fire - and then make more as and when I need it - take a strip of cloth and roll it and stuff it into the pipe. When your fire is going, plunge the prepared pipe into the ground close to the fire - open end downwards so it sticks into the earth - scrape some embers around it and allow the cloth cooks away, smoking merrily. When the smoke stops you take a stick and knock the pipe out of the fire - a wad of soil & ash plugs the open end of the pipe and you allow it to cool away from the fire, covering with ash if you think it might burn away.
When it is cool, take a ranger band (piece of inner tube) and wrap it over the ends of the pipe to seal it until needed.

Freshly made charcloth every few days, minimising any moisture ingress.

ATB

Ogri the trog

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
i find old jeans best, i like the fact the strands are a bit bigger and can be spread out at the edge to take a spark, its just what i like....

as for the char its self, any tin will do, but a screw top air rifle pellet tin is big enough, does not need a hole, can be carried in your pocket with a bit of flint and steel inside too, just put some cotton wool on top to stop it damaging the char cloth...

jobs a gooden...;)

regards

chris.

Mar 15, 2011
on the heather
I remember I got caught out once , I had to use the last of my char cloth to light a fire and had to make a new batch before the fire went out so l tore the white cotton out of my pocket and folded it into the tinfoil I use as a wind brake for my tranger , folded it envelope style and just chucked it on the fire , it puffed up a bit and billowed smoke from the seams for a while and as soon as it stopped smoking I flicked off fire, it worked just fine the nex day.

Last edited:

Jonbodthethird

Settler
Sep 5, 2013
Kettering/Stilton
I have an issue with making charcloth in large batches - any more than a few days in this weather and I find it gets damp and becomes difficult to ignite rather than being the fire-lighters friend that it ought to be.

So I carry cloth ready to char and a short length of copper pipe. The pipe is bashed flat at one end all bar a tiny hole the other end is left round and smooth.
I use freshly made stuff to light a fire - and then make more as and when I need it - take a strip of cloth and roll it and stuff it into the pipe. When your fire is going, plunge the prepared pipe into the ground close to the fire - open end downwards so it sticks into the earth - scrape some embers around it and allow the cloth cooks away, smoking merrily. When the smoke stops you take a stick and knock the pipe out of the fire - a wad of soil & ash plugs the open end of the pipe and you allow it to cool away from the fire, covering with ash if you think it might burn away.
When it is cool, take a ranger band (piece of inner tube) and wrap it over the ends of the pipe to seal it until needed.

Freshly made charcloth every few days, minimising any moisture ingress.

ATB

Ogri the trog

That's a Good plan. Will try that when I get some odd cut from my plumbing friend.

Jonbodthethird

Settler
Sep 5, 2013
Kettering/Stilton
I've just been thinking while laying in my hammock thinking how amazing this stuff is and how it's became quite forgotten outside the world of bushcraft.

Balloonatic

Tenderfoot
Aug 27, 2013
Hertfordshire
Jon, next stop flint and steel! I find great satisfaction in building a fire using only flint and steel, I practice as often as I can even if it's only to light the stove in my shed. Well done on the char cloth, I tend to carry an altoid type tin with me and a stash of scraps of fabric, once the fire is built the first job is to replenish my tinder box with char etc.

Jonbodthethird

Settler
Sep 5, 2013
Kettering/Stilton
Jon, next stop flint and steel! I find great satisfaction in building a fire using only flint and steel, I practice as often as I can even if it's only to light the stove in my shed. Well done on the char cloth, I tend to carry an altoid type tin with me and a stash of scraps of fabric, once the fire is built the first job is to replenish my tinder box with char etc.

I've already bought one :) can't wait to go out next and make a good fire with it all.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE