How To Make Cotton Clothes Flameproof

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
I seem to remember reading in a book owned by a mate thet Powdered Alum can be used to fireproof cloth but I don't have the foggiest notion if thats applicable to clothes:confused:

I would bet that Toddy will know cos she knows just about every thing else about cloth, dyes and so on.

I have never tried it so you would do well to find out off someone that knows more about it.

KIMBOKO

Nomad
Nov 26, 2003
Suffolk
Borax (available as a washing additive from Boots) has a fire repellant propertie. I have used it with success on paper that I decorated and fastened round a home made candle lantern for halloween.

crazyclimber

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 20, 2007
UK / Qatar
No experience with it, but I read a thread recently on another forum about increasing the flame retardent properties of nomex flightsuits.
The following is a direct copy-paste from that:

"Borax and Boracilic Acid. You can get it from some chemists. Can't remember the proportions, but I can probably find out for you if you want.

It will flameproof your clothes (or re-flameproof your flying suit after washing). It really works! The only after affects of 1 minute's exposure to flame of some thin cotton that had been treated was that it was brittle. No burning though."

Not sure if that helps - I can only suggests some serious googling to find the proportions or someone who knows more! :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE