How to make an onion string

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
having had fun with mystery photos today, I thought it was only fair to show the whole process of using two nails to make an onion string!

Around this time of year we end up with an excess of onions

Now in order to keep, the leaves and stems must be thoroughly dried. We use mesh topped drying racks for this

Onions and garlic drying by British Red, on Flickr

When the onion tops have no "green" or juice left in, we are left with the problem of how to store them. They like to be stored in a cool and airy place...but that can lead to vermin getting at them.

1) Dried onions by British Red, on Flickr

Hung from a traditional "string" in a shed, garage or outbuiding they are fairly safe from most crittrers - and easy to inspect and use.

In many old barns and sheds, you will find a couple of nails driven into the top of a door frame a foot apart. These were used for making onion strings. Its like many things - simple when you know how.

Drive two nails about a foot apart into the top of a door frame

2) Nails by British Red, on Flickr

Tie a loop of string and hang it over the two nails so that it hangs to about waist height

3) String Loop by British Red, on Flickr

Now, take your first onion. Put the dried leaves through the middle of the loop until the bulb nearly touches the string. Hold the leaves tight with your left hand and the bulb with your right hand. Now you just move the bulb. Pass the bulb around the outside of the right hand string and pass it back through the loop. Then around the left hand string and then back through the loop. The bulb will end up back where it started but you will have woven a "figure of eight" around the string with the leaves

4) First onion by British Red, on Flickr

This is a bit blurred but you can see how it works better

5) Figure 8 by British Red, on Flickr

Next put a second onion in from the other side of the loop and repeat the procedure. Then a third from the first side but hanging a bit off to one side.

6) Three Onions by British Red, on Flickr

At this point use a pair of scissors or pocket knife to trim off excess stalk and roots. Continue to add onions on top of each other, putting each onion into any obvious "gaps" in the string and always alternating the side you insert through

7) Full string by British Red, on Flickr

DOn't make your strings too large - they get heavy.

When you are happy with the size, hang the string from a beam in a cool spot. Vermin can't get at them easily and they stay well aired.

8) Onion Strings by British Red, on Flickr

Strings can be moved into the kitchen one at a time as needed

Red

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
My daughters mates - in their twenties - had never seen onion strings. They had also never heard of a "Johnny Onion" (French onion sellers on push bikes). Weird the things that are disappearing even in my lifetime :(

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Errr...that must be an American thing? What on earth is a sweet onion??

Genuinely - been growing onions for a few decades...shallots, welsh onions, heritage onions, raising sets from seed, leeks, ramsoms, hard and soft necked garlic, walking onions, potato onions, and more.

Never heard of a sweet onion?

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Errr...that must be an American thing? What on earth is a sweet onion??

Genuinely - been growing onions for a few decades...shallots, welsh onions, heritage onions, raising sets from seed, leeks, ramsoms, hard and soft necked garlic, walking onions, potato onions, and more.

Never heard of a sweet onion?

The same as a stoerage onion only with a higher sugar and moisture content basicly; but they are a bit flatter shaped. The favorite over here (in the South anyway) is the Vidalia onion. Since they don'te store long, you can only eat them in season or import them from somewhere with a different growing season (such as South American countries)

Here's a couple of links, at least one of which will have pix: www.vidaliaonion.org and www.food.com

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Aaah - I suspect we don't grow them (or sell them) here. Might not have the climate for them

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
My daughters mates - in their twenties - had never seen onion strings. They had also never heard of a "Johnny Onion" (French onion sellers on push bikes). Weird the things that are disappearing even in my lifetime :(

Great post, thanks.

Disappearing, yes, but they'll make a come back soon enough I reckon. :)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
That's a clear illustration of how to do the job BR :approve:

I think the onions that santaman2000 mentions must be like the little boretanne ones. They're roasted and jarred in oil to keep them for use out of season. They like heat to grow and they go mushy all to easily.

cheers,
M

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
Nice one that looks cool.

I'm happy as I've just harvested some onions from my allotment doubt I'll get round to making a string, maybe next time :)

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Ahhh Jack - great guy. I know he did "out of town" and....another similar show.....forget the name?

I'm sure a lot of it was stuff he looked up or investigated or heard about....but none the worse for all that

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
That's a clear illustration of how to do the job BR :approve:

I think the onions that santaman2000 mentions must be like the little boretanne ones. They're roasted and jarred in oil to keep them for use out of season. They like heat to grow and they go mushy all to easily.

cheers,
M

I suppose it's possible Mary. I really don't know what ther borretane ones are though. The only onions we ever see jarred over here are picled onions (small baby ones at that) The sweet onion varieties are all full sized onions and usually prized for their sweet, mild taste when raw; although we do cook with them also. And in the last 15 years are so salad dressings and steak sauses based on them have become popular.

And yeah, they only keep fresh about 10 days (3 weeks at the most) before molding and/or going mushy.

Last edited:

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
When you said onion string - I was thinking of the way you platt the leaves together and hang them by that. Rather intertiwned with proper string

I do that with garlic Ed. but find too many onions are over heavy for their skins - this way the string supports the weight

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
We have pickled onions too Santaman2000, but the boretanne ones are milder, sweetish and are used for antepasta or salads or for cooking.
I suppose our nearest home grown ones are shallots or syboes.

cheers,
M

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE