How to make a stash

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

paul gammer

Banned
Jan 4, 2010
South of Spain, Malaga
Have you ever had to stash something in the woods? Share it here, I am going to the woods now and I am travelling very light, I got a stove hidden in a tree stump that I emptied on the underside, it is a very reliable stash with lots of extras, I've got a pouch for my tea and a seperate one for my herb mix, the best of it all is that I can hide anything that fits, and I can always be sure that nobody will discover it.

gowersponger

Settler
Oct 28, 2009
swansea
found a full bottle of vodka and some beers deep in the woods the outher day along with some tent pegs and a tarp ,left them all where they were. came across a massive net rolled up a few months ago and there is a big pond with fish in near by think some tinkers was going to dredge it and get the carp:rolleyes:

Martin1

Dec 29, 2009
E. Yorks. UK
Just remember exactly where you stash your stuff.
35 years ago me and my mate stashed out home made wood catapults in a tree hollow and forgot which tree!:rolleyes:

fred gordon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
Just remember exactly where you stash your stuff.
35 years ago me and my mate stashed out home made wood catapults in a tree hollow and forgot which tree!:rolleyes:

I did that a few years ago with some fishing gear I buried in a box. Was my best reel too!!!:)
At the moment I don't have anything but might try a snow shovel if this weather keeps up. I now have three feet of snow on top of my upturned canoe at the moment and its snowing as I type this.:eek:

Nigel

Forager
Dec 6, 2003
Carmarthenshire
I used to cache food, cooking utensils, sleeping bag and few other items all placed in a plastic dust bin which was buried in a woods not too far from me.

spiritwalker

Native
Jun 22, 2009
wirral
i would say im not keen on the idea as it could be classed as litter if you forget or can't be bothered to retrieve it and also stashing food and nets etc could also harm wildlife. Not saying anyone here would not cover it well enough but someone might find your tins open them eat then chuck them on the ground. I am more of a take in take out person...

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
How to make a stash? I was thinking more along the lines of a bit of tin foil and a zip lock bag until I read the thread. :rolleyes:

I often leave a tin of food for the next camper who comes along; an old tradition taught to me by a School teacher on climbing trips.

Many many many many years ago (when the Green Goddess's rolled out for the first firemans strike) I did a kind of time capsule stash, you know, back in the day when Blue Peter, How and John Craven were essential viewing after school.

This was at RAF Catterick, when it had the roundabout on the A1, I buried the stash nearby, pretty good as well, using good bearings and pacings from nearby structures. Several postings later I was back there, and the roundabout had gone, replaced by a huge flyover, the embankment was right on top of my stash :)

Wouldn't it be a pisser to know that some quality kit had been lost, never mind a couple of boxes of compo thrown out by Rockapes and pics of a younger Felicity Kendall.

Hmm, I'm off to have a jolly good think about her again.

filcon

"Neo-eisimeileachd ALBA"
Dec 1, 2005
Strathclyde
I go to the bothies and very often stash the extra fuel,coal.etc for the time.
A wee story and tips for stashin.

My pal wee Sanny told me a story about them burying a barrel and filling it with tins everytime they went to a bothy.Unfortunately all the labels fell off, so they started to play lucky dippin.

Whatever they picked they had to eat, peaches and macaroni, tomato soup and mixed fruit.Mixed with booze it was a right recipe for destruction.

If you do stash cans use a permanent marker on top or bottom.Mice will eat or knaw anthing that is not metal. Use fence stabs as markers, pace out birthday dates if burying.

If you find a stash use only what you need and trade if possible.

Phil

helixpteron

Native
Mar 16, 2008
UK
Wouldn't it be a pisser to know that some quality kit had been lost, never mind a couple of boxes of compo thrown out by Rockapes and pics of a younger Felicity Kendall.

Hmm, I'm off to have a jolly good think about her again.

Sorry to hear about your loss, perhaps these will help....

Felicity-Kendal_62382.jpg
Felicity-Kendal-.jpg

Chinkapin

Settler
Jan 5, 2009
Kansas USA
We have a rat in parts of this country called a "pack rat." They are very large compared to a normal Norway Rat. I have had canned goods stored in what we refer to as a "fruit house" that they gnawed through the can enough that the liquid in the can ran out. I still wonder how they knew there was food in there. If you have this rat in your country, be advised, a heavy metal container is essential.

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
We have a rat in parts of this country called a "pack rat." They are very large compared to a normal Norway Rat. I have had canned goods stored in what we refer to as a "fruit house" that they gnawed through the can enough that the liquid in the can ran out. I still wonder how they knew there was food in there. If you have this rat in your country, be advised, a heavy metal container is essential.

Eeek, don't want to coat my food in lead....:eek:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE