How to make a sheath for a pocket knife?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mantic

Nomad
May 9, 2006
UK
I'm going to make a sheath for my bushknife fairly soon but thought I would start with a smaller, more urgent project - a pouch for a pocket knife.

Does anyone have any suggestions, links, advice? The knife is a 1944 MOD pocket knife and the sheath would be made of leather. I am uncertain as to how to secure the top flap (press stud, velcro (yuck), etc) so all ideas will be welcome.

Cheers!

Mantic

Nomad
May 9, 2006
UK
Thanks for replying.

Yup, they're both good tutorials but I'm after a pouch for a penknife. The principals of sheath and pouch construction are of course the same but the design is not...

Anyone else?

Riven

Dec 23, 2006
England
Press studs are available in packs from Yoemans or Outdoor shops and are easy to fit.All you really need then is some leather,sharp knife and a needle and thread.If you make a template out of cardboard (cereal box) then you can adapt as you go along.Hope this helps.Riven.

singteck

Settler
Oct 15, 2005
Malaysia
www.flickr.com
Don't think you need a flap for pocket carry.... that will just make it thicker. Friction fit should be good enough.

Something like this maybe?

472575632_b66ade4762.jpg

singteck

Mantic

Nomad
May 9, 2006
UK
That's a nice sheath, but same problem : I'm after ideas as to how to make a pouch for a penknife / SAK / pocket knife not a bushknife.

Think, leather utility pouch that you wear on a belt.

I've got the materials (save for the press studs, if I choose to use them) so no probs there, just wondered if anyone had made such an item and if so, how I might save some time / leather by following their advice.

Cheers!

singteck

Settler
Oct 15, 2005
Malaysia
www.flickr.com
Mantic said:
That's a nice sheath, but same problem : I'm after ideas as to how to make a pouch for a penknife / SAK / pocket knife not a bushknife.

Think, leather utility pouch that you wear on a belt.

I've got the materials (save for the press studs, if I choose to use them) so no probs there, just wondered if anyone had made such an item and if so, how I might save some time / leather by following their advice.

Cheers!

Opps sorry :D I thought you were going to carry it in your pocket.

Looking for one of these then?

241485598_3b8b941fac.jpg

singteck

tommy the cat

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
That is just the thing that I would like for my sak. Looked at the genuine ones but always like something a little different wish I could do something that nice! :You_Rock_ D

Mantic

Nomad
May 9, 2006
UK
Aha! Now that's what I'm talking about Singteck.

It's rather pleasant in both form and function. Now I just need to work out how to make the sucka :)

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Heres mine for my SAK- made by our own topknot

455616502_14e7d702c5.jpg

455616518_e89835deac.jpg

I'm sure he can explain the process better than me - just thought you might like to see another pattern

Red

Jul 15, 2006
Nil
Hi Mantic,

As per my PM to you, that one is one of two that Longstrider made for me.

It's made to sit horizontally on my belt, rather than the usual vertical hang.

Mine is set for me to wear on my left side, but he can make them to sit either way. I have it set horizontally as I like to wear it on the front of my belt rather than my hip or back, but I'm sure he'd do it with a vertical hang if you wanted.

If you PM me your email address, I'll send you some more pictures.

Cheers

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE