How to make a copper 'bopper' for flint knapping.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
I can't claim any credit for the design, but here are some pictures of how I made a copper bopper (soft hammer) for flint knapping. Antler would have been used traditionally for this purpose, but if you can't get hold of antler, this is a quick and easy way to get something that you can start working with.

To start with, go to the annual Bushmoot, find one of the native Spamels :You_Rock_ and ask him nicely to let you have a bit of old lead pipe. He may well throw in a couple of copper end caps. Allow the lead and copper to mature for nearly three months then get off your behind and start doing something.

You will need a small ball-peen hammer, and another hammer.

bopper_01.jpg

Beat the copper end cap over the round end of the ball-peen hammer until you have moulded int into a roughly hemispherical shape.

bopper_02.jpg

Cut up some lead into small pieces...

bopper_03.jpg

...and put them into the rounded end cap. You could use a pan to melt the lead, but the end cap forms a nice crucible and you don't then need to pour the lead.

bopper_04.jpg

Melt the lead using a blowtorch (remembering to avoid breathing any fumes), and leave it to cool down. The remnants of a bow-drill hearth board form a good cup to support the cap while it cools down.

bopper_05.jpg

Whittle a piece of wood into a suitable handle so that the end cap is a nice tight fit over the end of it...

bopper_06.jpg

...and glue the cap onto the end of the wood using epoxy or other strong glue and voila you have a copper soft hammer.

bopper_07.jpg

I'm still waiting for the glue to set, so I haven't tried it out yet, and the handle will need a little bit of sanding. I used a 22mm end cap, but for finer work a 15mm cap would probably be more suitable.

Thanks for looking.

Geoff

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
That's really good Geoff! Nice and simple, even a strategically shaved orang utang like myself could follow that. I have a bit more lead by now too!

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
Thanks Bernie, Spam and Aaron for the comments.

One thing I forgot to say was that I've just finished reading Flintknapping by Whittaker. A very good book indeed. It includes both technique and a lot of historical and archaeological detail. I still think you probably need to see someone knapping but as a companion book for when you are by yourself, I'd thoroughly recommend it.

Geoff

mick miller

Jan 4, 2008
Herts.
Brilliant...I'd been wondering how I could add one of these to my deer antler hammers. Thanks for the photos, I'll give it a try, just need to find a little lead, maybe I could use some old fishing weights I have lying around?

Thanks for sharing.

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Great thread, thanks for posting. Going to make a couple of these I think for knapping glass arrow heads, then move up to flint.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE