How to load routes from a map into a GPS unit?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
Hi guys,

I wonder if one of you knows a link on the net where I could learn about loading points and routes from a map, in an etrex Garmin GPS unit?
I finally managed to buy an etrex, I went for the most basic unit and would like to scan in my maps into my PC. There I want to mark out some waypoints and upload these positions into my gps unit. What do I need, software/hardware, to pull that off? How do I mark out the waypoints/routes I like to travel and synchronize the maps and positions?

I tried to find some WebPages but I am getting more and more confused.
I even found some very good memory maps to buy but they are stating that the maps would only work with the etrex legend, I am a bit confused about this as it is clear for me that one cant expect to download a map into an etrex unit which doesn’t support maps to show up. But I thought it must be possible to extract waypoints and routes and export these points from the PC into the etrex?

I am a total beginner in the gps world sorry to put down these stupid questions.

cheers
Abbe

Surveyor

Sep 28, 2005
London
Abbe,
There are two ways to enter Waypoints into Etrex GPS, both require the use of the uplink cable.

The first method is to read off a map, and compile a list that is sent to the unit.
The second is to scan a map, register the scan (so that 4 points plus the centre, are given coordinate values of the same points on the map just scanned), and then the cursor picks up points to be sent to the unit as a route.

I suspect that you want the second, so do a search for 'freeware GPS software' on the web, looking for software that will allow you to register maps that you have scanned in. You can also be more adventurous, and 'stitch' scans together to create bigger scanned maps.

I'd like to be more specific, but right now I am sailing into Kristiansund to beat the weather, and my seat is moving around the Bridge with the motion of the ocean!

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
Surveyor said:
Abbe,
There are two ways to enter Waypoints into Etrex GPS, both require the use of the uplink cable.

The first method is to read off a map, and compile a list that is sent to the unit.
The second is to scan a map, register the scan (so that 4 points plus the centre, are given coordinate values of the same points on the map just scanned), and then the cursor picks up points to be sent to the unit as a route.

I suspect that you want the second, so do a search for 'freeware GPS software' on the web, looking for software that will allow you to register maps that you have scanned in. You can also be more adventurous, and 'stitch' scans together to create bigger scanned maps.

I'd like to be more specific, but right now I am sailing into Kristiansund to beat the weather, and my seat is moving around the Bridge with the motion of the ocean!

stay save mate,
thanks
Abbe

Abbe,

I use This software and I can definately recommend it.

It works with a huge range of GPS units and is easy to use. My GPS is a Garmin Etrex Venture, this does not allow maps to be uploaded but will take hundreds of waypoints, loads of routes, either manually entered or automatically via Memory-Map or similar software.

There are several freeware programs, such as EasyGPS , or you can even write your own macro in MS Excel to do this.

Regards
Platypus

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
If someone is wondering about the same things as I, here I found another good software to grab the routes from a map and upload them to the gps.

the software its called: OziExplorer

cheers
Abbe

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE