How to keep warm in a hammock?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Jinsin456

Settler
Nov 14, 2010
Maybole, Scotland
Interesting. I slept in a hammock in -7 degrees, without the protection of a tarp, using just a closed cell foam mat inside a summer synthetic sleeping bag as an undermat, and then lying in a winter weeight down bag. No underquilt. I was toasty warm.

I think that what works for one person may not work for another. My companion that trip used a down underquilt and was cold.

It really does depend on the person, my mate I hammock with usually only uses a mat and says he is fine whereas I was using an old synthetic sleeping bag as an underblanket and I was feeling the cold. It could also be psycological as I think of that cold night every time I get into my hammock and I suppose it cold be something deep down telling me I'm going to be cold that's actually making me cold.

K

Katesdad0

If it's real cold, Softie top and trousers over themals, dry wool socks and a wool hat.

Might shove a folded pocho liner under me for good measure.

Why spend a fortune, and carry extra kit that only has one purpose ?

bushytoo

Forager
Feb 15, 2012
london
If it's real cold, Softie top and trousers over themals, dry wool socks and a wool hat.

Might shove a folded pocho liner under me for good measure.

Why spend a fortune, and carry extra kit that only has one purpose ?

Very true and a very good idea, I am going to buy the Keela advance belay jacket, I've heard nothing but good things about it.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
The problem is that the bottom of the sleeping bag is squashed against the bottom of the hammock so losing its loft and insulative qualities...

When I first read this concept (and this post isn't the first time) it seemed to make sense, but when O thought it through I don't understand why the hammock would make it compress any more than the groung would? And before you ask, yes I have usually slept on the ground without a pad; not always (sometimes I have used an air mattrese) but usually. Even in deer camp above 6000 ft. on Mt. Wheeler in November.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
When I first read this concept (and this post isn't the first time) it seemed to make sense, but when O thought it through I don't understand why the hammock would make it compress any more than the groung would? And before you ask, yes I have usually slept on the ground without a pad; not always (sometimes I have used an air mattrese) but usually. Even in deer camp above 6000 ft. on Mt. Wheeler in November.

Once you've lost that insulation from compression there's nothing to stop draughts and cold chills getting to you, on the deck your limited by how cold the ground is.

salad

Sep 24, 2008
In the Mountains
has any one tried covering themselves in deep heat and then sleeping naked in there hammock to see if that gets rid of the need for insulation ?

zarkwon

Nomad
Mar 23, 2010
West Riding, Yorkshire
I find my thermarest does me just fine for 3 season use. It is more versatile as it forms the spine of my pack and I can use it on the ground if needs be. Make sure you let out enough air for it to conform to your body shape. It'll require more deflation than you expect.

Hammock_man

May 15, 2008
kent
Regarding trials of deep heat .....

No go I am sorry to report. Found friend in hammock following morning feeling like, and very sorry to say, looking like frozen prawn!!!

Junglist

May 30, 2011
Kent
I've been in -10 early this year, I use the british army arctic bag in the winter and I've not had to use an underblanket or mat with it, I find I end up too hot in that though, mainly the feet and end up taking my socks off, they're great in the middle of winter but far too hot for the summer.

Johnnyboy1971

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
Wwoooaahhhh thats a lot of money for an UQ. Try looking at some of the manufacturers over here, UKhammocks can set you up with one custom made for less than that or snugpak UQ for around 80quid. Your Jervans will set you back another 200 squid.

Personally i would suggest the Snugpak UQ and a decent bag, if that dont work you will get most of your dosh back for the UQ

dean4442

Nov 11, 2004
Wokingham UK
I'm going to get an underquilt from these people http://www.enlightenedequipment.com/revelation.html#infomenu with delivery it will cost me 221 pounds but I think it's worth the hit. I also plan to use a king size Jevern bag inside the hammock.
I think that would be an extremely solid set up.
Ouch that's nice but certainly not cheap! One of the guys on here "Unsponsored" was making underquilts and they looked pretty good and not as much as that.
Colin

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE