How to keep warm in a hammock?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Davidn

Forager
Jan 19, 2009
Sussex
Being fully clothed was part of the problem. Your body needs to heat up the space in the bag and the insulation keeps that warm and hence you warm.
Whoops! Didn't know that. Will try wearing less next time.
Thanks for the advice.
David.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Whoops! Didn't know that. Will try wearing less next time.
Thanks for the advice.
David.
Clean dry clothing, put on just to sleep in will add insulation.
Clothing you have worn all day will be damp from insensible perspiration if not liquid sweat and will take body heat to dry out and therefor chill you.
There is a reason that folk wear Pyjamas ....

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Clothing you have worn all day will be damp from insensible perspiration if not liquid sweat and will take body heat to dry out and therefor chill you.

:approve:

Well said that man :)

Davidn

Forager
Jan 19, 2009
Sussex
Why was i cold in the early hours of the morning? went to the hammock @10. 30 wasn't cold till @ 3am apart from my face which was cold all night?

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Your body temperature dips at about that time (circadian rhythm) plus the heat from the sun would have gone from your surroundings. I bought a better sleeping bag & was too hot the last time I camped out - what have you got?

Davidn

Forager
Jan 19, 2009
Sussex
Your body temperature dips at about that time (circadian rhythm) plus the heat from the sun woghuld have gone from your surroundings. I bought a better sleeping bag & was too hot the last time I camped out - what have you got?
I think what ive got sleeping bag wise may be the issue, dont know which make, 20 years old, origionally bought to travel the southern hemisphere (the warmer parts).
wasn't aware of the change of clothes thing though.
What sleeping bag did you get?

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
I originally bought a Lidl bag. It's actually not bad but for cold weather it's not thick enough. I've just bought a Dutch sleep system which comprises of two bags. The outer one is centre zipped which is useful in a hammock. I had them both undone in March but it wasn't too cold then. I've slept out in freezing weather & was warm. They are a bit bulky but I car camp generally

Davidn

Forager
Jan 19, 2009
Sussex
Best i get some jimjams then.:)

Davidn

Forager
Jan 19, 2009
Sussex
I originally bought a Lidl bag. It's actually not bad but for cold weather it's not thick enough. I've just bought a Dutch sleep system which comprises of two bags. The outer one is centre zipped which is useful in a hammock. I had them both undone in March but it wasn't too cold then. I've slept out in freezing weather & was warm. They are a bit bulky but I car camp generally
Thanks, your Lidl bag is probably better than my 20 year old one!

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Why was i cold in the early hours of the morning? went to the hammock @10. 30 wasn't cold till @ 3am apart from my face which was cold all night?

Very difficult for anyone to say without being there with you, there are so many factors involved. What was the temperature? how wide was your mat? Are you a cold sleeper? Had you eaten? Properly hydrated? Were you damp? Alcohol drunk? Windy? Large meal before bed?

FWIW, I'm cold sleeping at home with a wool blanket underneath me in the hammock, let alone outside.

An obvious over simplification though is that your insulation wasn't sufficient. If its lower than about 5c, I need more than one foam mat. A 3 season sleeping bag does next to nothing to stop heat conducting away from underneath you in a hammock. You need more non compressible or suspended insulation to deal with that

Cold faces can be cured with a balaclava. You'll probably find that the more nights you do in the hammock, the less noticable your cold face will be anyway.

As an example, I bivvied at under -16c this february, the first night out in a month or so at the time and my face felt uncomfortably cold. (my beard was stuck to my sleeping bag with ice)

Fast forward2 weeks to the Arctic where I spent 10 days sleeping out in the snow, it probably got down to nearly that temp on a couple of occasions and wasn't uncomfortable at all because I was then used to it, after steadily dropping temps through the week.

Davidn

Forager
Jan 19, 2009
Sussex
Very difficult for anyone to say without being there with you, there are so many factors involved. What was the temperature? how wide was your mat? Are you a cold sleeper? Had you eaten? Properly hydrated? Were you damp? Alcohol drunk? Windy? Large meal before bed?

FWIW, I'm cold sleeping at home with a wool blanket underneath me in the hammock, let alone outside.

An obvious over simplification though is that your insulation wasn't sufficient. If its lower than about 5c, I need more than one foam mat. A 3 season sleeping bag does next to nothing to stop heat conducting away from underneath you in a hammock. You need more non compressible or suspended insulation to deal with that

Cold faces can be cured with a balaclava. You'll probably find that the more nights you do in the hammock, the less noticable your cold face will be anyway.

As an example, I bivvied at under -16c this february, the first night out in a month or so at the time and my face felt uncomfortably cold. (my beard was stuck to my sleeping bag with ice)

Fast forward2 weeks to the Arctic where I spent 10 days sleeping out in the snow, it probably got down to nearly that temp on a couple of occasions and wasn't uncomfortable at all because I was then used to it, after steadily dropping temps through the week.
Blimey, pajamas AND a beard!
Seriously though, i am going to get a new sleeping bag, take a change of clothes for sleeping including a balaclava, didn't think i needed to as was 3 mins from my front door and was going to go home if i got too cold,which i didn't do, and see how i get on.

Hopefully it will warm up a bit and i can get some more nights under my tarp so i will have a better idea of how to go next autumn/winter.
Thanks again,
David.

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
The outer sleeping bag in my set is a Carinthia Defence 4 (made under licence) - when closed up, it leaves a smaller gap than a balaclava!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE