How To Hang Mugs Over Fire

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
I don’t hang pots over fires very often (place direct on top) and usually use just a large mug as a sole cooking pot. However I played around today to find ways of hanging mugs, and by only using what I would normally carry in my pack (not by making a specific ‘hang’ item to carry out or by drilling holes in pot etc). I usually carry tent pegs and a brass wire rabbit snare or two so this is what I tried first, put one end of rabbit snare through the eye at other end and twist it back so as to make a continuous loop as large as the snare will allow, place the loop over the lip of the pot, pinch tight at either end and twist to hold so you end up with three loops (one big and two very small), the pot sits in the large loop just underneath rim to hold it and the two small loops form handles on either side of pot, that’s the pot holder complete now to suspend it lash two tent pegs together so they form a ‘X’, the hooks at end of tent pegs will hook into the two handles of the snare wire and the cord lashing pegs will suspend the whole lot from a stick ( and be easily adjustable as well for height). Secondly I replaced the tent pegs with a forked stick instead which does exactly the same job as pegs, just cut a notch in both sides of fork for snare-wire handles to sit in, if the stick used has a second fork further along its length that can be used for suspension otherwise cord can be used. Thirdly I tried using one forked stick pushed through the other, push one forked stick into the ground and push a short second forked stick through the handles of pot which will hold it in place, if you grab the stick through the handles of pot and pinch the fork together the ‘pincer’ movement will pinch tight on handles forming a second handle allowing you to easily remove and replace pot from fire. The brass wire is the key as it will hold where twisted, bicycle brake cable or similar is too springy to hold with a simple twist, and copper wire breaks easily with repeated twisting whereas brass wire does not (and I never carry bicycle cable or copper anyway but do carry a rabbit snare), I’m not too sure how long the brass wire will stand up to the heat from fire as I have only been playing around with it today but I am guessing it will be fine. Just a few ways to hang mugs without customizing/drilling them etc, I guess you folks out there have many more ways.

Brass rabbit snare end-to-eye twisted to make continuous loop
0641ce8d-7626-4f1a-85ea-1968443cd1e2.jpg

Twisted to make three loops, one for pot to sit inside & two for handles
hanger183.jpg

Tent peg hanger
hanger189.jpg

Or just a forked stick
hanger204.jpg

In use with msr pot
hanger139.jpg

And for the crusader mug fans used with stick hanger
hanger156.jpg

Using two forked sticks
2-1.jpg

Pinch forks of stick through handles together to hold and remove pot (like pliers)
4-1.jpg

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Some great ideas there. Usually just put it too close to the fire and burn one side. Then knock it over.
Might have a chance now, especially the green stick solution.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE