How to groove leather (not at edge)?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
I'm currently making a couple of belts and they're going well but I want to stitch across the belts so my normal edge grooving tool won't work. What tool can I use to do this or should I just change the angle on my edge groover?

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
you can get a tool which has the cutting circle/ hole of the edge groover on a handle without the guide. Used with a ruler or similar straight edge.
If you don't have that you can tilt the edge groover as you say or you may get enough depression by just compressing it where needed with a back of a knife or something. As long as it isn't sharp it should be fine. once the stitching wheel goes over it and stitched you probably wont be able to tell...

Chainsaw

Native
Jul 23, 2007
Central Scotland
I use my edge groover and a steel rule with a bit of leaning :) also kinda works on curves if you keep a better grip on it that I did....

DSCF0438.jpg

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
I've got these for any freehand grooving I do.

Don't be put off by the cheap price as I've used them and was well impressed with how good they are. I wouldn't be recommending them if I didn't think that

s-l1600.jpg

Reactions: Robson Valley

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
They look good, thanks. Was hoping my pricking irons would have arrived by now but they haven't :(. Keen to get these belts finished so may have to try and use my awl, which tends to bend. I'll have to drill with the Dremel-a-like (Aldi)

bobnewboy

Native
Jul 2, 2014
West Somerset
In the absence of a pricking iron you can use a sturdy old fashioned dinner fork to mark and space your stitches, along with a ruler. Just select one with strong tines at your required spacing. However a good diamond-section awl is difficult to substitute....

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
I have a stitch marking wheel but my awl just seems too flimsy to make it through. Once the belt is done up you can't see any stitching anyway

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE