How to Cook Rice & Preserved Bacon over a Camping Stove

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Yesterday afternoon I made pirogies and Spring had them with sour cream. I boiled and then lightly fried them with some onion slices. Because she so enjoyed the pirogies, I set aside the half I was going to have for myself, wrapped them up and put them in the fridge for her dinner today.

I thought for a few minutes, and then I grabbed my cooking kit, some bits and pieces, the beagle and some dinner ingredients and headed out into the backyard. I decided to practice cooking rice with my camping pot and stove. Rice is easy to carry and a great base for other flavours - but rice can be tricky to cook even in your own kitchen, so I figured this would be a good test of my abilities and good experience for when I am in the field.

Monty promptly settled down with Tigger and watched the birds fly by and the cats wander about the neighbouring yards and then he groaned with happiness while chewing on his toy.

I laid out my kit on the lawn. In the photo above, from bottom and moving clockwise: a) Flint & Steel & Tinder fire-making kit; b) stainless steel bowl (49 cents from the nearby thrift shop) - which I use as a lid for the pot; c) aluminum pot with handle (which fits nicely into the bowl); d) butane/propane camping stove (poor for cold weather but convenient for short daily hikes in the warmer seasons - trouble is you can't accurately gauge the amount of fuel left in a cannister and they're not refillable); e) 'Chinese Style' pork belly strips - basically spiced, smoked, cured thick bacon which does not require refrigeration and so can be carried on a hike or camping trip without concern of spoiling; f) 250 mL or 1 cup worth of dry long grain white rice; g) wooden spoon carved from a branch; h) carbon steel plastic soft grip Mora knife; i) and in the center, a 1000 mL or 2 pint Nalgene water bottle.

I went to a nearby Chinese supermarket earlier yesterday afternoon to pick up some fruit and bulk bags of rice - the prices are excellent - and as I wandered by the butcher's counter reminiscing, I saw a pile of these pork belly strips in plastic vacuum bags in a basket.

I picked one up and decided to grab a couple more to bring with me on trips.

They looked good and fatty (good for calories and as a replacement to bringing butter or margarine) and nice and spicy.

I slid one length out of the package and diced it up into small chunks.

They smelled nice, but not very smoky - not like bacon I am used to.

I dropped them into the cupful of dry rice I had poured into the pot.

It looked really good. I was thinking of eating it as it was.

But then I thought about next steps and got distracted.

Monty began to get very curious at this point and it was all that I could do to keep him away from my 'kitchen'.

I shook the rice about and coated the bacon, hoping that the rice would be coated in some of the fat, and help the cooking process.

I poured two and a quarter cups of water (about 550 mL) of cold water into the pot.

I stirred it all about with my spoon.

I figured that the saltiness of the preserved pork would sufficiently season the rice.

The next step was simply to get the stove lit.

I grabbed a small section of charcloth from my Flint & Steel tinder kit.

Placing this at the top of the flint, I struck down fast and hard with the steel striker.

The steel striker is a great piece of kit - I am so glad I got it.

The flint had grown a bit dull, so it took me about a dozen strikes until I got a spark. On the thirteenth strike (or so) the charcloth caught a spark and began to glow.

I placed the ember into the tinder bundle of semi-dried grass, dead juniper needles and tiny twigs and began the blow. The grass generated a huge amount of horrible smelling smoke and the flames that had emerged quickly died. I tossed the awful-smelling charred smoking mass away.

I looked around the backyard, but after the thunderstorm the night before, there didn't appear to be any dried tinder laying around. Then I had a flash and realized why the small bundle of jute twine was in the tinder kit can after all.

It was there to turn the charcloth ember into flames! (duh)

So I tried again - and this time I guess I'd picked up the knack and a couple of strikes later on the flint, my charcloth caught a spark and began to glow hot.

I wrapped the jute twine (which I had tried to tease apart and rough up a bit to make a good nest) around the charcloth ember and within a few seconds had a flame.

Merging old and new, I opened the gas nozzle on the stove and dropped the flaming twine onto the element and the stove began to heat.

I then placed the pot containing the rice, pork and water onto the stove, covered it with my metal bowl and laid my spoon on top to keep it from getting mucky as I tidied around.

I put the stove on a low flame and left it alone for 20 minutes.

Steam began to emerge and Monty stood careful guard as the aroma of bacon and pork began to permeate his sensitive nostrils.

He hadn't had dinner either.

As soon as I would look away, he would rush up to the stove and sniff and I would warn him away.

He eventually found a comfy spot and demonstrated a stoic patience.

At around the 20 minute mark, I turned off the stove.

It looked ready.

It smelled ready.

The pork was nicely mixed with the rice, and the rice was fluffy, and did not at all adhere to the pot (which I had worried about a bit because of the spot heating from the stove flame).

To my surprise, the dish lacked seasoning. I expected there to be spices and salt but while the pork tasted excellent, the rice was a bit bland. Ah well, now I know. Salt and pepper next time in my kit.

This was a successful trial, because now I know if I am to cook this while out in the woods, I will know just how to make it correctly. It is always best to make mistakes at home while testing out your kit, before experiencing any issues out in the field.

I ate my dinner and when I was almost finished, I poured in some water to cool the remainder of the pork and rice and handed the bowl to Monty who was very appreciative.

Cheers,

Mungo

scanker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
Looks great. If the rice was bland, you could try adding a stock cube to the cooking water at the start. The OXO brand we have in the UK come fully sealed in foil, so should be OK for carting about. Or maybe a cupasoup sachet?

Pierogi - for anyone else who doesn't know what they are. :D

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Now, when I used to get smoked pork belly in germany, I used to prep it the same way as you but had to trim the skin off first! I'd throw it into the pot and quickly fry it in its' own fat and then add water and stock, some dried onion and dried shrooms and then bring to the boil and back to simmer. If I had used a bit of forethought, and especially in the colder months, I'd have used too much stock. This was so that i could have a warmiong soup with some of the stock in my cup and a bread roll whilst I put the rice in with the pork and remaining stock to cook up. It's important to keep the fuel going in your body in cold conditions! :D

I'm gonna have to find some of that pork belly you used as it looks very much like what I got in Germany. Again, there was no need to refrigerate it and as it came in a single hunk per packet, there was no problem with it going off, one packet per day. It really is a great meat product to take on the trail.

crazydave

Settler
Aug 25, 2006
Gloucester
I tend to go for boil in the bag rice to be honest or freeze dried if I can get it - you could try using a sock to make your own though :)

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Whole grain brown rice has a lot more flavour than any white rice (IMHO) and is just as easy to cook...
American wild rice is pretty good too...

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Im pretty fond of rice too, I use quick cook stuff in the outdoors.

Those ribs look terrific, I dont think we have a chinese store round here (plenty of bangladeshi ones which are full of neat stuff.)

Scanker - I popped out and bought some OXO cubes last night! Good thinking...
Spamel - I also recently got some slab bacon, but the pork I used this past weekend was conveniently packaged in small pieces - very useful...
Prophecy - thanks! He's a terrific pup, gentle, energetic, fun.
Crazydave - ehhmmm? My sock? Howzat?
John Fenna - yes, the brown and wild rices would be tastier for certain - maybe I'll pick some up.
Clem - fun, huh? I guess I was always wanting to cook rice like that, I'd always used instant rice (pre-cooked, dehydrated) or pasta etc... on camping trips.
Tengu - I bet the Bangladeshi shops have some nice spices as well. Perhaps I'll throw curry also into my next rice dish.

Cheers,

Mungo

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Whole grain brown rice has a lot more flavour than any white rice (IMHO) and is just as easy to cook...
American wild rice is pretty good too...

True John, but it won't store as long as white rice, and as the price of rice worldwide is going through the roof its well worth keeping a stash of white rice in the store cupboard;)

That meal looks yummy, and in the UK, Lidl do a good diced smoked bacon you could use. If you have a deli nearby, see if it stocks smoked speck. This uses a long smoking process and the flavor is very intense:)

scanker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
Does the Lidl bacon need to be kept refrigerated though Rik? I've used the kabanosi sausages from Lidl. They have a good smoky flavour and don't need refrigerating.

andy_e

Native
Aug 22, 2007
Scotland
For the chinese "bacon" and rice, after cooking add a good dash of soy sauce and a wee splash of sesame oil and if you're feeling adventurous - go wild with some tobasco :D

Chinese dried sausage is tasty too, often quite sweet rather than savoury.

What I'd like to figure out is a good way of steaming outdoors, rice is much better and easier to cook by steaming.

clcuckow

Settler
Oct 17, 2003
Merseyside, Cheshire
Looks like I will be popping to into China town at the weekend :D I have never see those before though.

What I like to do break up some homemade jerky, dried baked beans, dried mushrooms, rice. Then pore a little over twice the volume of water or stock (the OXO Chinese, Indian and Mexican ones are good) and simmer till the liquid is fully absorbed. At this point the rice is cooked and the dried stuff is re-hydrated although the jerky can be a bit chewy.

ganstey

Settler
I cook white rice using a method I saw on TV a few years back. I've not tried it on a camp stove, but see no reason why it shouldn't work:

1) Decide what volume of rice you're going to cook - a traditional teacup would do two portions.

2) Put 2-3 times that volume of water into a pan (I don't usually measure the amount of water, just doing it by guess work) and bring it to the boil.

3) Put in the rice and cover with a lid. Bring to the boil, and leave on the boil for about 5 minutes or so.

4) Take off the heat, but leave the lid on. Let stand for 10-15 minutes, or until rest of meal is ready.

5) The rice should have absorbed most if not all of the water, and be ready to eat. It doesn't usually stick to the pan either!

G

Well, yesterday afternoon I was back at it again. Last week I cooked rice over the camping stove, and sliced some preserved Chinese-style bacon into it.

P9260004.JPG

But last week the rice was not seasoned enough - I had figured that the bacon would do it.

P9260014.JPG

So this time I followed some commenters' advice and added an OXO-type bouillon cube and some seasoning and pepper to the mix.

P9260023.JPG

I grabbed a 1 liter Nalgene bottle full of water, my butane/propane camping stove, my Light My Fire scout model ferrocerium rod, a stainless steel bowl, a wooden spoon, my Mora knife and the ingredients.

P9260032.JPG

All of this pretty light and you really don't need much more than this for a few days worth of meals - assuming that you have enough rice, and additional ingredients to build out the meals.

P9260035.JPG

I crumbled the bouillon cube into the dry rice.

P9260042.JPG

I crumbled it into 1 cup of dry rice, into which I had already mixed salt and pepper. In retrospect, I should only have used half a cube - the rice was too salty in the end.

P9260048.JPG

I sliced up the bacon. It was a bit too fatty for me in the end - I think I would do well to cook the bacon over a fire to remove some of the fat, or fry it up a bit and save the fat on the side for other meals.

P9260064.JPG

The stove is a good one, but of course I wouldn't want to bring it on an extended trip, just for an overnighter. The trouble with this type of stove is that it performs poorly in cold weather, and of course the canisters are not refillable, and the waste cylinder is bulky to trek out.

P9260077.JPG

The bowl serves as a lid and eating surface. I'm not sure if it was because of the level of heat I had set the stove at, but I actually had to cook the rice for about 35 minutes instead of 20, before it was ready.

P9260106.JPG

In the end, it was *alright* but not great: the bacon was too fatty, the rice was too salty. But at least I'm experimenting at home so that I'm not stuck with an unappetizing meal out in the bush.

That's all. Don't worry. I won't post about rice and bacon cooking next time.

Cheers,

Mungo

dommyracer

Native
May 26, 2006
London
Given the same ingredients I would probably fry the bacon off first, then put it to one side.
Then I'd dry fry the rice in the fat for a short time, add the water and some seasoning to cook the rice, and add the bacon back in near the end to heat through.

I like my fat crispy, see...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE