How to care for an old SAS Rucksack (aka PARA bergen)?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
Hi I have an old but reasonable condition SAS/Para bergen, the same one with the steel frame that was famously used in the Falklands.

Sadly due to old age and over use, some of the Butyl-laminate waterproof coating is strating to falling off, in a couple of areas it's all gone.
I don't use the bag often, but I find it really comfortable for day trips (though it is heavy). I don't want to ruin the bags looks or remaining proofing.
I have a feeling the answer may be silicon paste.

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
Ok that's a new idea!
I've used it before when a friend showed me how he made fake injuries with Latex make up.
the stuff stinks but might be worth a try.
Cheers

Tonyuk

Settler
Nov 30, 2011
Scotland
Just buy a rucksack cover, should be around £10 - 15 ish for a good one and saves a lot of hassle.

Tonyuk

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
I know it's completely different fabric but I used this when I reproofed a cordura rucksack

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

it may at least stabilise the fabric.

That's what I meant by thinking silicon might be an answer. ;) that's very similar to the clear silicon stuff you get for diy use, to put round windows and sinks I might try a small patch to see what it looks like.

Just buy a rucksack cover, should be around £10 - 15 ish for a good one and saves a lot of hassle.

Hi rucksack covers or rucksack liners would only partially help it's not really the damp outside or kit inside I'm bothered about, it's the fabric of the rucksack itself.
The fabric itself is failing due to the bag being so old (they were first issued in the the late 1970's), so a rucksack cover though useful, won't help me much. thanks anyway.

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
I use a rucksack cover to protect mine and look less military being a blue cover, so never needed to proof it yet but I think the silicon would be the best option.

Fallschirmwomble

Tenderfoot
May 11, 2009
Tennis Town
As with many collectables, normal wear and tear is expected but radical improvement can harm values.

Might traditional waxing be the way forward? And be more "contemporary"?

Mine lost it's waterproofing decades ago - it's never occured to me to try to reproof it. I don't know anyone who's reproofed one, we always used a heavy duty bin bag as a liner.

When we switched to PLCE, my PLCE rucksack was leaking in water the first exercise I used it. I've always regarded military rucksacks as being semi-waterproof ever since...

RonW

Native
Nov 29, 2010
Dalarna Sweden
That's what I meant by thinking silicon might be an answer. ;) that's very similar to the clear silicon stuff you get for diy use, to put round windows and sinks I might try a small patch to see what it looks like.

Hi rucksack covers or rucksack liners would only partially help it's not really the damp outside or kit inside I'm bothered about, it's the fabric of the rucksack itself.
The fabric itself is failing due to the bag being so old (they were first issued in the the late 1970's), so a rucksack cover though useful, won't help me much. thanks anyway.

The fabric is already failing??
Some quality. My early 1930's Bergen is still fully functional, so I guess the fabric on yours has started to rot. Not entirely dry storage maybe? In that case it might be a lost cause.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE