How to buy Industrial Methylated Spirit (IMS)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

QDanT

Settler
Mar 16, 2006
Yorkshire England
Had a phone call from Newcastle customs and excise this morning:-
You've had an IDA Licence a few weeks now have you bought any ? - Yes. 2 litres.
Where are you storing it ? - Where I said I would, in a locked steel cabinet in my workshop.
Where did you buy it ? - From my local chemist,Craven pharmacy Skipton.
Do you think you'll have enough ? - Well I put down 5 litres but my chemist can only get it in 2 litre bottles so I might not have enough with 4 litres.
Thats OK if you need any more just reapply at Glasgow office and you can have upto a maximum of 20 litres a year,thank you for your time good day.
That was it he was very pleasant.Don't know if everyone gets a follow up call ?
cheers Danny

swyn

Life Member
Nov 24, 2004
Eastwards!
Hi AJB. Just sent you an 'e' mail. I hope you get it.... Capacious is not recieving some messages. Probably a pc/mac sulk! Ta, from Swyn.

scanker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
My authorisation arrived yesterday. I followed up my application with a phone call, as suggested above. They were very helpful on the phone.

After ringing round about a dozen pharmacies and three local chemical suppliers, I've ordered some from Rydenor (thanks weekend_warrior) as I couldn't find any other online suppliers. Most disappointing as I consider myself a bit of a google whiz! :D

Thanks all (esp Magikelly) for the information.

MagiKelly

Making memories since '67
The funny thing about getting the license is that once I had it I took it into the supplier to get 5L of IMS. When I placed my order at the desk the women starts to say you need a license but as soon as she sees me taking an envelope from my pocket she says "Oh you've got one." and gets the IMS. Never took a note of my number or anything :rolleyes:

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
Got mine through today, I emailed the office monday and got a reply that it would be with me with in the week. I also had a appologetic letter saying how busy they had been in dealing with applications foe IDA, I wonder why. But it did seem to help speed things along by contacting them

AJB

Native
Oct 2, 2004
Lancashire
Hi All,

My licence arrived yesterday, it took about a month.

Now the question is, where’s the best place to buy the stuff and how much cheaper than B&Q meths is it??

AJB

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
My licence took about a month too.
Problem now is finding somewhere that has a licence to sell the stuff !!!
Both places I've tried so far looked blankly at me :rolleyes:
One had a conatiner of the stuff from many years ago but said they couldn't sell it to me as they didn't have a licence to have it :eek: Would have thought they'd be glad to get rid of it then... ;)

I'll keep trying I suppose unless anyone knows of a site on the net to get it?

Mark

Chopper

Native
Sep 24, 2003
Kent.
I asked my local pharmacy who WAS NOT LICENCED to sell IDA who they would get it from if they were licenced, they told me and gave me the phone number of their supplier. I called the supplier and they gave me details of a local pharmacy that was licenced and I collected 4 litres the next day.

Thats the way to do it :D

scanker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
I tried all my local pharmacies (about 15 in all) and none of them could supply it. Only one had it, but I could only have it on prescription? :eek:

I used Rydenor (thanks WW), quick delivery, and I couldn't find anywhere else on the Internet that sold small quantities.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Guys, I'm missing something here, where is the download application form for the licence, be kind to me, I've been on strong painkillers for a week and my brain may be fuddled :rolleyes:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE