How to buy Industrial Methylated Spirit (IMS)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bothyman

Settler
Nov 19, 2003
Sutherland. Scotland.
Culicoidis said:
Just to add to the gruesome image, methanol when broken down by the liver forms methylaldehyde, commonly known as formaldehyde. Instant embalming of all your vital organs.

I prefer the slow way.

I'll stick to whisky.

but thanks for the tip ;)

Mr_Yarrow

Forager
May 16, 2005
UK, Hertfordshire
MagiKelly said:
I posted my application yesterday. I have applied to use IMS in my Heat Pal 5100 which is designed to burn Denatured alchohol. I put a link to the manufacturers web site on my form. As it burns up to 1.5 litres I think my request for up to 20 litres a year for camping use is quite reasonable. On the phone I did say that I knew quite a lot of people who would be interested in getting permission.

Also you will find that IMS will be starting to be called Denatured Alchohol not sure of the reason for the name change. Probably just to take us in line with the rest of europe.

I'll let you know when I get my reply.

Well? How'd it go? Any major problems in the application process?

Also how much have people been quoted for IMS? My local chemist quoted me £12(ish) for 2 litres - is that good/bad?

Ta

MagiKelly

Making memories since '67
Mr_Yarrow said:
Well? How'd it go? Any major problems in the application process?

Also how much have people been quoted for IMS? My local chemist quoted me £12(ish) for 2 litres - is that good/bad?

Ta

I had a phone call from the Customs & Excise yesterday. He was just confirming what heater it was I had applied to use the IMS in. I had sent a link to a page that showed a few but confirmed that it was for my "Heat Pal 5100". He had a quick look and said that would be no problem and I would recieve my licence today. I have not see the post today but have no reason to doubt him. He was very pleasant and helpful. I imagine that if I had only been applying for 5L a year for a Trangia I would not even have got a phone call.

Regarding price I will be getting mine from a french polishing supplier in Glasgow. Price is around £13 for 5 litres. Would be less again if I bought a 25 litre drum :eek:

Mr_Yarrow

Forager
May 16, 2005
UK, Hertfordshire
Sounds good, im only using mine for literally 3-4 weekends a year two boil water for noodles soup etc - campsite camping not bushcraft etc.

Will be using it with a Swedish Army Trangia, how much do you think I should apply for?

Sorry for all the questions, but you shouldnt be so darn helpfull :D

Ta

weekend_warrior

Jun 21, 2005
North London
I've had the devils own time getting someone to provide small quantities of IMS, now I have my authorisation. 250ltrs? no problem... :rolleyes:

Finally I found somewhere that supplies in 1ltr or 5ltr sizes and delivers for a reasonable charge. £20.45 for 5lts delivered all in.

It's this place: http://www.rydenor.co.uk/ & look under solvents. Don't forget to put your authorisation number in the delivery notes field in the final step... coz I did.. :rolleyes:

As usual, I don't work for them, know the personally, etc... :)

scanker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
That's timely, thanks for that. I've recently got a tatonka burner and got my clikstand on order. I made my application last week - can you give me an idea of how long it takes to come through? Cheers.

weekend_warrior

Jun 21, 2005
North London
It takes a few weeks - you need to call them and ask how it's coming along after 3 weeks. They have a serious backlog from schools and colleges right now, but a polite call after 3 weeks tends to get it settled over the phone... ;)

Got my new burner and waiting for my clickstand too! :)

beamdune

Oct 14, 2005
Manchester
Just checking, has anyone actually written 'for use in trangia/camping stove' for their 'use' and had their application successfully approved.

QDanT

Settler
Mar 16, 2006
Yorkshire England
I put in part D - describe the process
"burnt in Swedish army Trangia stove and various other camping stoves"
and in part E - why are methylated spirits unsuitable
"because it smells when filling and transporting and can taint the food,it soots up the billys and kettle,and smells out the tent.
after about 3 weeks I phoned Catherine Bayley 0141 555 3489 to ask on progress to be told they were very busy but would put mine on the top. It arrived a couple of days later
good luck Danny

Angus Og

Nov 6, 2004
Glasgow
QDanT said:
why are methylated spirits unsuitable
"because it smells when filling and transporting and can taint the food,it soots up the billys and kettle,and smells out the tent.

So this stuff does not smell like meths?

jason01

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 24, 2003
I didnt realise I was getting a particularly good deal but looking at the prices some of you have been quoted I must be, the last 5l batch of dyed meths from my local small hardware shop was £9.30 for 5L (few weeks ago) so I think I'll stick to using that!

weekend_warrior

Jun 21, 2005
North London
Having used IMS at the Chedworth meet and other occasions I won't be going back to mineralised (dyed) meths!! I burns cleaner, hotter and with little or no smutting. My burner is clean - with no gumming up or sooting. My pans are not covered in black soot. I highly recommend it! :D

AJB

Native
Oct 2, 2004
Lancashire
I’ve been keeping an eye on this thread since the beginning and, as it seems to have been much more successful than I expected, I’ve just completed the form. I get the feeling the pdf might have changed a little bit since MagiKelly posted the instructions in July, as the section is no longer on page 34.

After talking to HM C&E, I down loaded the pdf. You need to print out section 19 and fill it in. It’s dead easy, but I’ve got it as a Word document I can email out to anyone who needs it. It takes two minutes to fill in, in fact less because I’ll leave everything but my name and address in there!

Let me know if you want a copy.

AJB

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
How long do they take to process the application?. I have been waiting for about a month and a half and have not received a reply :confused:

QDanT

Settler
Mar 16, 2006
Yorkshire England
after about 3 weeks I phoned Catherine Bayley 0141 555 3489 to ask on progress to be told they were very busy but would put mine on the top. It arrived a couple of days later

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE