How to blend into the background?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
That's essentially what my winter snow camo consists of. Jacket and pants, big enough for plenty of insulation underneath when I have to sit still for a while.
I don't know what the white/grey string fluffy stuff is made of. Doesn't pick up snow to make knots. Man, I am invisible. Feels pretty cool to know that.
Poof! Just stop walking and disappear.

The hood is magnificently windproof, +/- down insulation.
I had to learn to shoot with the hood on. Used to take it to the club and get a few laughs shooting trap with it on. Looks silly in early September. Not so much at the beginning of December in knee-deep snow back here in the valley.

Reactions: arthem

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Many of our game seasons wind down about November 15. Some years, it's a lot sooner with a branch-busting blizzard. Geese is usually open until mid December. There are 3 species pf Ptarmigan up top, I keep meaning to get after them, season goes until Feb 15.
Camo is the only way to go, especially a face mask. Sticks out for a quarter mile.
Like I said, the snow camo is the most fun to be able to disappear so easily.

Silverclaws2

Nomad
Dec 30, 2019
Devon
There is an orange hunters camouflage on the market. Some species only see grey shades. But I am no hunter and don't know that exactly.

Yes I have seen that in Sweden to have been told it's so hunters don't accidentally shoot a hunter, in elju hunting season and it has happened, for the necessity to arise.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Hunter Orange is a legislated nuisance in many jurisdictions across North America. The law may specify EXACTLY how many square inches of Day-Glo orange MUST be worn for hunting. We don't have that problem. Since hunter education became a compulsory issue in BC hunter licensing, nobody has been shot.

The bigger issue is that many species can see into the long UV. Some pigments actually are glowing in dusk and dawn lighting. Case in point: use primer white NOT finish white in the paint you need for DIY decoys and camo. The UV brighteners in the finish white can be seen for miles.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Hunter Orange is a legislated nuisance in many jurisdictions across North America. The law may specify EXACTLY how many square inches of Day-Glo orange MUST be worn for hunting. We don't have that problem. Since hunter education became a compulsory issue in BC hunter licensing, nobody has been shot.

A good job the OP is based within the United Kingdom then and I assume his question is relating and pertaining to the European territories.

Reactions: arthem

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
In Germany I see in the woods all sorts of deer, boar, birds of course and fox. They seem to know the hunter's cars and don't care about hikers and just treat them like other wild animals. Who shoots surely also smells different.

But usually I don't see martens. Of course they are small and don't fly around, but nevertheless, are they normally very shy or what's the point?

Reactions: Kadushu

Kadushu

If Carlsberg made grumpy people...
Jul 29, 2014
Kent
Good point about recognising hunters. Crows here will ignore you until you're quite close unless you're carrying a gun. They KNOW.

Reactions: Robson Valley

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Arrive at your spot quietly and slowly, break up your silhouette, maybe by sitting with your against a tree, or against a hedge, sit still and listen, only using your eyes to see what is within your vision range. Get used to looking out of the corner of your eyes.
Listen for what's happening behind you..
Clothing is as said muted ,
Learning to disappear is fun. I've had moments on a popular footpath, where people crash down the route, chatting, and not paying attention to what's about them, I can hear them comming long before I see them, so I have a bit of fun concealing myself behind trees ,in gateways, behind bushes, etc as they walk past.
I'm always "doing" something, just in case I'm discovered, even if it's just "having a rest with my eyes closed" I try not to make it too obvious that I'm trying to conceal myself if I am seen, but with practice you rarely will be. Usualy it's their dog that discovers me if anyone does, and twice this year I've had startled pooches as they run across me sitting still and concealed in plain sight.
It's quite good fun, now I just got to learn how to hide from the dogs!

Reactions: nigelp and arthem

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Aside from the issue of "hunter orange," everything that I have contributed applies equally well across the entire globe. There are principles to follow which work surprisingly well.

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Yeah!
To say it in simple words:

Wear olive green,
sit still
and shut up.

Or to say it more elegant in the words of a famous French poet:

"Il faut avoir l'air
comme une pierre!"

Saucisse de Pois

Reactions: Robson Valley

GSW

May 16, 2021
Carmarthenshire
NO MOOVEMENT.
LOW PROFILE.
MUTED COLOURS.

Plants behind and in front of you.
Broken shape due to camouflage patterns.
No smoke.
No noise.

Broken shape due to camouflage netting, for a hiker it isn't sensible to carry it around but it's effective for hunters, wildlife photography and military.
The military ground it into you under the heading of, 'Camouflage & Concealment':
"Shape, shine, silhouette, spacing (needs to be irregular), surface contrast colours, aircraft (sudden movement in looking up)". [Not forgetting 'camming' the weapon in particular any reflective tele sight lens]. Too much or unnecessary for the ordinary civvy.
You can go to the extreme and obtain a pretty good 'ghillie' suit from ebay as well as cam nets.

Reactions: Erbswurst

GSW

May 16, 2021
Carmarthenshire
Indeed, I agree, our impact is a trace that needs consideration.
Leave no trace is so much more than just tidying of fire scars and litter......
I attempt to be discreet, quiet and considerate to the environment at all times....some people aren’t happy unless they’re chopping/burning/cooking/building.....
Try to tread lightly always.
"It is impossible to leave no traces." That statement would have cost you 50 press ups in the Royal Marines.............LoL

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE