How to blend into the background?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Yes, and after we left absolutely no trace we throw the gas bottle into the bin...

Something we didn't yet mention are head lamps and torches. Visible over kilometres.

Reactions: ScottE

nigelp

Native
Jul 4, 2006
New Forest
newforestnavigation.co.uk
Lovely spot: did you trample any foliage on the way in? Did you drive before walking to the spot? Did you use a stove that gives off fumes?
Just playing devils advocate and showing that trace is more than the obvious....no offence intended.
Accessed via a coastal foot path, walked from my mums house and used a meths type stove with bio fuel. No offence taken but LNT is very much about the obvious - the wider sustainable effects of any hobby or sport are probably worthy of a separate thread. Each person can decide how far to take the principles of reducing their impact but it’s the very obvious impacts that are readily noticeable.

ScottE

Nomad
Mar 22, 2017
Norfolk
Is the biofuel a byproduct of a sustainable ethical process? Sold on in a signal use bottle? Coast path been maintained by machinery? Maintenance crew arrive in cars? It can go on and on can’t it?
I do disagree, the obvious lnt principles are easy to point out and virtue signal over as per current fashion...our impacts need deeper analysis by us all.

arthem

Jun 14, 2021
United Kingdom
While I do agree with being aware of our impact on the environment I like @nigelp think that LNT is more about the obvious things.

EDIT: LNT imho is more about the obvious things and not just about the obvious things.

Last edited:
Reactions: nigelp

ScottE

Nomad
Mar 22, 2017
Norfolk
While I do agree with being aware of our impact on the environment I like @nigelp think that LNT is more about the obvious things.
I think it’s everything, too much emphasis is on the immediate and visual by everyone nowadays....instant gratification and virtue signalling are getting tedious.

ScottE

Nomad
Mar 22, 2017
Norfolk
I mean to say that those we “need” to teach lnt to will need their further impact explained along with the obvious?
Most people who need to be told not to light fires or leave litter also need their bottoms wiped for them.

arthem

Jun 14, 2021
United Kingdom
@ScottE I do agree that when teaching people about LNT they should be informed that they also should be thinking about the environmental impact of the items they use and means of travel etc and not just about cleaning up their mess before they leave. Common sense is not too common these days unfortunately :( .

Also when you mentioned about "instant gratification and virtue signaling" were you talking about them in context of the comments on this thread or just generally in society for clarifications sake?

ScottE

Nomad
Mar 22, 2017
Norfolk
@ScottE I do agree that when teaching people about LNT they should be informed that they also should be thinking about the environmental impact of the items they use and means of travel etc and not just about cleaning up their mess before they leave. Common sense is not too common these days unfortunately :( .

Also when you mentioned about "instant gratification and virtue signaling" were you talking about them in context of the comments on this thread or just generally in society for clarifications sake?
Instant gratification and virtue signaling: The whole of society is hell bent on “getting their share of nature”, posting an Instagram post of them getting it and picking up their litter, very tedious.

ScottE

Nomad
Mar 22, 2017
Norfolk
So we go bushcrafting (whatever that means) we make a fire because we have nothing else in our armoury and, as long as we sweep the fire scar aside and pee on the hot bits before we go we’ve been LNT?

Reactions: Erbswurst

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
If I remember it right this thread was originally about blending in the surrounding and to avoid attraction.
A smoke less fire, perhaps even in a hole, is part of the skill set.

That doesn't necessarily mean that one should ignite a fire always and everywhere.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Broch: Just the very act of walking leaves a serious trace. Most soils have substantial air content, the root systems of plants require oxygen from that.
Walking compresses the soils and squishes the air out. Root systems asphyxiate to eventually leave a "foot path" of airless ground for erosion. That's an ugly trace.
Forest harvesting (aka logging) equipment has huge flotation tires and chains even in summer. The concept is traction with the least compression of the forest soil. Replanted seedlings need air in the soil. 300,000,000 seedlings into the ground in MY district this summer.

I don't think that this is "off the track". The intent is to sneak into the woods to watch. Every step you take has an impact.

Reactions: ScottE

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
wow!

This thread..

Just the very act of exhalation will leave tiny molecules of human DNA all over the countryside - so please remember to not breath also.

Can we not apply some element of sensible perspective?

Last edited:

arthem

Jun 14, 2021
United Kingdom
wow!

This thread..

Just the very act of exhalation will leave tiny molecules of human DNA all over the countryside - so please remember to not breath also.

Can we not apply some element of sensible perspective?
Well if you dont go to the countryside and stay at home you will be exhaling three to so you might aswell stop breathing for good. To save the planet of course :) .

Reactions: TeeDee

TLM

Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
A lot depends how one walks and moves, crashing through everything with force or walking around things and stopping every so often. Many birds are not bothered by the slow walker and a few times I have got so close to sleeping deer that mutual scare was assured. One has to move like you belong there in the woods.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
The camo in my picture is suitable only for early spring and autumn here. That turkey shoot in the Kootenay was late April, I think.
High summer here is too green, too rainy and too buggy in the west face of the Rockies.
I have a complete set of winter snow camo that allows me to hide out in the open, simply by standing still. It's hilarious! That's all you have to do. Stand still. The Canada geese can't see me at all until it's too late.

Trails are dead ground made by walking in the same line all the time.

Reactions: arthem

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE