How to become a survival instructor?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bushcraftsman

Native
Apr 12, 2008
Derbyshire
Hi, I was just wondering, are there any jobs that involve teaching survival skills and techniques to other people? If so...how do I go about getting one of these jobs? I'd be very interested in this as a career. For example the people at woodlore...how do they get their jobs? I'd love to just have to teach survival skills to people day after day...and get paid for it!

Cheers

Jordan

one of my friends is currently doing this course: http://www.woodcraftschool.co.uk/instructor.htm

i think you have to either learn the skills and then approach the companies or go in as an apprentice.. or set up your own? but there seems to be a lot of smaller schools setting up all over the place....

or you could join the military? a friend of mine used to be a British army survival instructor out in Sweden...

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I've looked into it a few times and it basically comes down to having the knowledge in the first place and naturally being able to teach it to others in an effective way.
Some schools, not all, will post a vacancy and then the applicant basically does a series of courses and gets assessed throughout, both on ability and teaching methods. Even if you've got all the skills under the belt you still need to have the ability to present it well to your students.
I've looked at the Woodcraft School a few times and even had the first interview lesson sorted before having to pull out due to cashflow issues. Speaking to a lot of instructors, the jury is still out on the merit of a piece of paper to say you're now an instructor. At the same time though, many of Johns students have gone on to teaching the subject so who's to say otherwise.
Have a look at as many of the schools you can and have a read of the bios for each of the instructors, you should get an idea of what they're going to be looking for.

Put it this way, if I was sixteen again I'd do things very differently. Then maybe I wouldn't be doing a boring 9-5, mortgaged up to the eyeballs and living for the weekends.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I've looked into it a few times and it basically comes down to having the knowledge in the first place and naturally being able to teach it to others in an effective way.
Some schools, not all, will post a vacancy and then the applicant basically does a series of courses and gets assessed throughout, both on ability and teaching methods. Even if you've got all the skills under the belt you still need to have the ability to present it well to your students.
I've looked at the Woodcraft School a few times and even had the first interview lesson sorted before having to pull out due to cashflow issues. Speaking to a lot of instructors, the jury is still out on the merit of a piece of paper to say you're now an instructor. At the same time though, many of Johns students have gone on to teaching the subject so who's to say otherwise.
Have a look at as many of the schools you can and have a read of the bios for each of the instructors, you should get an idea of what they're going to be looking for.

Put it this way, if I was sixteen again I'd do things very differently. Then maybe I wouldn't be doing a boring 9-5, mortgaged up to the eyeballs and living for the weekends.

Shewie , That almost sounds like your not enjoying it.

Chris G

Settler
Mar 23, 2007
Cheshire
Essentially;
1) Make sure that it's what you really really want to do.:confused:
2) Check that you have the soft skills to be able to teach:) , if not go and get them?:sulkoff:
3) Acquire the hard skills (go on courses, read books, try, try, try again).:D
4) Enrol on an instructors course, or get a job as an apprentice with a school, or if you are aleady really good at points 2 & 3, set up your own school :confused: or, become a freelance instructor.:cool:
5) Don't earn much money.:(
6) Spend lots of time away from your family.:(

You may as well know the rough with the smooth. :eek:

Chris

timboggle

Nomad
Nov 1, 2008
Hereford, UK

As opposed to doing a draining 7-11, mortgaged up to the eyeballs and working every weekend !! :lmao:

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
This is a hard one, well, in some ways it’s easy but to succeed it’s hard.

Generally schools take on people that they know and these are generally people that have gone through their courses and do things their way, some schools are open to other ways of doing things but many like it just so. To take you on a school would have to like you, think you’re good with people and at teaching people, that you have the required level of skill and knowledge to work with their customers, to accomplish this is often quite a tall order, understandably so when it’s their reputation to consider and they also want to further their business, the better the new guy the better chances of doing that.

I think that most people see the courses that John does with Woodcraft and Jonny does with his school as a good way of learning the required skills, I’ve talked to a number of people that have done these and it’s not so much the bit of paper as the structured learning and knowing that at the end of it you’re going to be well rounded in all the areas you need, they use it as a classroom or a fast track to the knowledge and skills, maybe the bit of paper will have more significance in the future, especially if the few schools that are vying for control of the industry set things up how they want to, then you might very well need a bit of paper to get on.

Those that have set up their own schools often have a background in bushcraft/survival, be it military, working for someone else, doing loads of courses or having a great life with people that have taught you loads, there’s loads of places people have picked up skills, although often when they’re acquired by the individual directly through books and the odd course they’re not that well rounded, we tend to do things we like and there’s often areas that we’re a lot more enthused about than others :D Some of the well established schools owners/leaders have come through Woodlore courses (a few have been instructors) they do some courses and they set up a school, now days this is a bit harder because there’s more scrutiny and more choice for people so they ask more questions and sites like Bushcraft UK help people to know about schools and instructors etc.

Keep in mind that most of the established schools had no qualifications, no bit of paper etc, they just decided to set up and teach survival and bushcraft (obviously they end up having to have insurance etc) many smaller schools are supported because they run courses on weekends and when the owner takes time off of work from his full time job, in these instances the schools don’t have to make a lot of money, if any as the wage from the main job is enough and they’re enjoying themselves with the bushcraft school, some are open about this and some try to hide it as much as possible.

Doing it full time is a big commitment be you a school owner or an employee. Long hours, strained relationships, physically demanding, dealing with people all the time etc etc. If you’re the owner you get all the hassle, if you’re an employee you get insecurity (not always the case but usually) work can be seasonal etc so you’re not bringing in an income regularly etc. If you’re a single guy or have an understanding lady then you’ll be fine and it could be a great experience, if you have another income, or you’re young enough for it to make little difference to you then you’ll be fine and it’s worth pursuing if you want to, the experience will be completely worthwhile (usually :D)

These days I’d imagine that you would need to volunteer initially, that way you can get some experience and you’ve got a better way of getting in, even if it’s preparing the site, humping the kit in and out, keeping the place tidy etc etc, if you’ve got the resources pay for as many courses that you can that will bolster your skill base, study hard, work hard at it, get to meets and learn a broad range of skills, even for doing the same things, always act professionally, always. If you’re going for a job with someone they’re not going to be that interested in the bit’s of paper from instructor courses, they want to see what you can do and who you are, they evaluate that for themselves, unless you’re going to do something with say an outdoor pursuit centre or some such where it’s not the main focus of the place and the bit of paper says you can do what they want, they’re not so likely to be able to assess you.

Call up the schools, ask them what they’re looking for in an instructor, in the current climate some are not doing well and others seem to be doing fine so you’d get a good rounded view of things from them, many of them are very nice people and would be more than happy to give you advice directly. Talk to them, practice your skills, learn all you can, learn to be good with people while being professional, be willing to sacrifice quite a bit and you might get somewhere :D

Chris G

Settler
Mar 23, 2007
Cheshire
What Tony has written basically summarises email and telephone calls I made to to several schools a couple of months ago. This is good because it a true and genuine reflection of what is actually out there at the moment and it's what you are actually likely to find if you also make the calls/emails.

Being positive, if you are young and free enough (ie no kids/mortgage/responsibilities) then go for it; make a full time job of it and we'll all wish you the very best. However, if like me you do have responsibilities then you are only really likely to have it as a sideline job as it just won't bring in enough money. Even Ray has a second job (talks, photography, etc).

Chris
(PS my 1st part on an instructors course is in 2 weeks and I can't wait! :red: )

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Another one for you to think about Jordan, try and find some schools local to you and offer to help out with the running and possibly get some teaching experience at the same time.
Even if it's just being around to prepare meals, digging latrines, sourcing wood for projects etc at least you get to see what goes on.

Good luck anyway mate

forestwalker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Another thing that might be usefull is to produce something you can point to when you apply. A good website on edible plants, a booklet about firelighting, a hobby business selling primtive bows or flint knives, etc. Write articles for magazines... Basically CV fodder for the survival field. Does the TA have any survival training, and if so; how does one become an instructor there?

Bushcraftsman

Native
Apr 12, 2008
Derbyshire
Thanks everyone...will definitely look into this. What you said Shewie I would be happy to do...before I have a look myself, i'll be lazy...does anyone know of any schools around my area? I'm currently googling it now so if not don't worry about it.

Cheers

Chris G

Settler
Mar 23, 2007
Cheshire
Jordan, Dave Watson is a top bloke. Down to earth, honest, very generous with advice and information, and he's also the current Chairman of the Inst of Outdoor Learning. Drop him an email and start your question from the beginning and see where it leads.

ATB

Firebringer

Jun 5, 2009
Scotland
If you have the skills guess you could always set up by yourself. Making up some You Tube videos (good quality ones), might be one way to develop a bit of a reputation and a selling point. I'm not familiar enough with the economics off the industry to know how realistic that would be but might be worth at least a momentary thought.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE