How should I finish a four-ply square sennit braid?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

clcuckow

Settler
Oct 17, 2003
Merseyside, Cheshire
Hi Guys and Gals,

I am making an adjustable neck cord for a hat like this
5322-952-1.jpg

using a four-ply square sennit braid. Any suggestions on how I should finish of the braid?

clcuckow

Settler
Oct 17, 2003
Merseyside, Cheshire
Thanks everybody, I epecially like the ones that Stew posted. Do you know if the Clover knot can be finished as a 'woggle' so I can adjust how tight it is on my bonce:D Also how thick is the leather you use? I normally only have the thick stuff for sheath making and my belt loops and where can you get leather thongs for braiding in the UK.

Thanks again every one.

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
clcuckow said:
I normally only have the thick stuff for sheath making and my belt loops and where can you get leather thongs for braiding in the UK.

Thanks again every one.

leather shoelaces from some traditional cobblers come on a roll and can be cut to whatever length you require. And cheap to boot :lmao:

ps. The Turks head knot is often used as a woggle :)

clcuckow

Settler
Oct 17, 2003
Merseyside, Cheshire
stovie said:
leather shoelaces from some traditional cobblers come on a roll and can be cut to whatever length you require. And cheap to boot :lmao:

ps. The Turks head knot is often used as a woggle :)

Thanks Stovie, I have used leather boot laces before but they are to thick for this project and I don't fancy skivving down the full length of the lace :D

Thanks for the tip about the Turks head.

Bardster

Native
Apr 28, 2005
Staplehurst, Kent
Tandy 1/8" lace is pretty good stuff foro most lacing projects but its a little thick at times to lay well. Obviously you can skive it like the pros do but its not easy skiving long lengths of lace and its all too easy to slice too thin and all the way through.
I stumbled on the perfect solution tonight! :D
bevel lace.jpg

A Number 3 edge beveller! But its got to be one with a concave back. It thins 1/8" down just the right amount and also curves the back just like the pro's do it :D
Then just run the lace through some saddle soap and you have lace perfect for any braiding task.

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
Kangaroo lace is by far the best thing to use.
It's about 1mm thick which makes them a great braiding size and very strong compared to other leather.
It's possible to buy a complete skin and then cut the lace yourself but it's very expensive to buy in this country and cutting lace isn't easy, especially if they're long.
I bought mine direct from David Morgan in the States. Very cheap atm for hand cut roo lace. If you order 1 roll at a time it's cheaper to pay the extra postage (say 3 times for 3 rolls) than to pay the import duty. Only took about 10 days to come through as well.
I don't par my laces at all, nor do other braiders much better than I. It still possible to produce decent pieces without cutting the laces.
In David's book there's a project of making a hat band and also back braiding is covered too - worth a look if you can.
He's a link to my braiding tutorial I posted a while ago , Stovie's already posted the turks head link :)

Cheers

Mark

leon-1

I would suggest a Matthew Walker to finish off your braid, however it is quite difficult to find a decent tutorial for it, in a lot of ways I tend to think of it as an extension of the crown knot which is also used in braiding.

You may be able to find it on sites to do with nautical / yachting knots, they used to be used for finishing the ends on the hemp hawsers.

Bardster

Native
Apr 28, 2005
Staplehurst, Kent
Buckshot said:
Kangaroo lace is by far the best thing to use.
It's about 1mm thick which makes them a great braiding size and very strong compared to other leather.
It's possible to buy a complete skin and then cut the lace yourself but it's very expensive to buy in this country and cutting lace isn't easy, especially if they're long.
I bought mine direct from David Morgan in the States. Very cheap atm for hand cut roo lace. If you order 1 roll at a time it's cheaper to pay the extra postage (say 3 times for 3 rolls) than to pay the import duty. Only took about 10 days to come through as well.
I don't par my laces at all, nor do other braiders much better than I. It still possible to produce decent pieces without cutting the laces.
In David's book there's a project of making a hat band and also back braiding is covered too - worth a look if you can.
He's a link to my braiding tutorial I posted a while ago , Stovie's already posted the turks head link :)

Cheers

Mark

The Identity Store (tandy as was) in Northampton are doing 25 yards spools of Kangaroo lace in 4 colours for £31 a spool

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
leon-1 said:
I would suggest a Matthew Walker to finish off your braid, however it is quite difficult to find a decent tutorial for it, in a lot of ways I tend to think of it as an extension of the crown knot which is also used in braiding.

You may be able to find it on sites to do with nautical / yachting knots, they used to be used for finishing the ends on the hemp hawsers.

Yeah that could work. I did have a good site but I lost all my bookmarks recently.

This any good for you? http://home.hetnet.nl/~splits/knots58/..\knots57\0.htm
(babelfish is your friend)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE