How sharp should a froe be?

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Was lucky enough to be given a froe for Christmas. It's made from a farrier's rasp but it was so blunt it was difficult to tell which was the cutting edge :D

Seriously, the "sharp" edge was about 2mm across. Now, I know it doesn't need to be hair popping sharp but that's too blunt, right?

Was trying to fit a handle onto it but had to come inside to look after my daughter :( Colouring in a Wendy-house is not as fun as it sounds...

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Froes aren't for cutting so don't really need to be sharp. They dont have a cutting edge as such. You should just round the edge a bit with a file to help it get into the wood when your hitting it with the mallet. It should be like a blunt convex really. :)

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
I know it doesn't need to be hair popping sharp but that's too blunt, right?

Nope, a froe is for splitting & cleaving, not for cutting, it only needs to be sharp enough to cleanly enter the end grain of a log

Last edited:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
It's a very good tool is a good froe :D
Doesn't need to be sharp/sharp at all, just as Kepis says, enough to cleanly enter into the end grain.
It's the one wood cutting tool that we don't fret about, tbh. Even those folks who always end up skliffing an axe off and into the dirt don't get dirty looks.
It's a balance thing as much as a strength thing; you can only hit it as hard as the other hand can keep it in place, otherwise it just doesn't work but bounces.
Basically it's a wedge with a really good gripping handle, that splits the wood fibres apart rather than cutting into them with a good sharp axe.

Have fun :D

cheers,
M

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
I need to buy a drawknife to help me make a handle for it. Making one from hazel as that was lying about but have some ash ready (thanks, Peter!)

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
You should be able to find a piece of ash or hazel that wont even need working which will make a suitable handle. Just a straight-ish tapered piece. I doubt you would even need to remove the bark. Nice and easy to carry to the woods if needed as the handles will already be there in abundance. Pretty similar to a take down hawk. :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE