How much water do you carry?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

MSkiba

Settler
Aug 11, 2010
North West
Its in the side of a valley as you can see from this photo. No caves in the area but there is a quarry maybe 2 miles down the road. At the top, is just a field. Sorry for poor quality piccie.

P1020307.JPG

You can just make out the orange'ness.

TinkyPete

Sep 4, 2009
uk mainly in the Midlands though
Just seen the picture and I would say Iron ore as well, I would still boil it to be on the safe side after filtering.

As for how much water I carry a couple of issue black water bottles and a 3 litre camelback, I also have a couple of wine bladders too, for a near by water source and for other water collection I now have one of these http://www.kaktush2o.co.uk/
which can be used for rain collection, vegetation collection or as a solar still. A great bit of kit and has loads of bags for collection and the kit you need to set it up.

So I may be carrying less water bottles and weight soon :)

Last edited:

Scots_Charles_River

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
The easy thing is to -

1) carry as much as you can
2) filter and boil any more
3) keep healthy and hydrate
4) a survival straw is handy for drinking from

I can use at least two litres in one hillwalk day of 5-7 hrs in the winter. Last week we boiled all our water from the River Dee (Scottish) when we canoed down it.

Last edited:

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
when beach camping 2 nighter i usually take 4 litres,two litres a day plus food usually does me.

Have you managed to find a water source down there yet Andy ? That crag up to the left looked like it used to have something in it at one point, maybe worth lifting a few rocks one day.

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
Hi Rich yep there is a small stream /run off which gets bigger in winter(its wetter!) my only concern is it runs off sheep farm land,would probably be ok if sterilised properly.There's also run off's from the cliff's on each far end of the beach.

i take 2 nato litre water bottles and a 3litre dromedary bladder when i go off to the permission.
if i am going for more than a night i take a ruddy huge 10litre water can with tap that once belonged to Al 'pub landlord' Murray-pinched by swompy that we use for water supply, however i plan to take the millbank bag this weekend and see how that goes. a very experimental weekend ahead for me!

nenook

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 24, 2010
stafford
hi i take 2 litres from home, and a water purifier pump( £ 65.00) that gives me 1 litre a minute of clean water from any source ie ponds streams , the filter kills 99.999 % of all known bacteria,and weighs a couple of ounces. that way it affords me the extra carrying capacity that would otherwise be taken up by the water bottles. its a great piece of kit.

GlenM

Forager
Jan 11, 2006
Cornwall
Its in the side of a valley as you can see from this photo. No caves in the area but there is a quarry maybe 2 miles down the road. At the top, is just a field. Sorry for poor quality piccie.

P1020307.JPG

You can just make out the orange'ness.

That looks like Red ochre to me , it might be from an old mining adit. Check a map of the area for evidence of mining activity.

Glen

Apr 15, 2010
Wiltshire
Just did 2 nights with a few miles walk on the first day, and 10 miles on the second day. The mission was to check out some new kit. On the first day I necked a couple of ltrs of water prior to setting off :) and then carried out just four ltrs. By the first night I'd consumed 1 ltr, and on the 2nd night I only had a few mouthfuls left, and the 10 miles was thirsty work.

There was a spring on the first night, and I often drink from them, but I'm always concerned with this location because of potential overflow contamination from heavy livestock farming further up the slopes.

I also ate lots of raw fruit and veg, but did eat some cooked food (which my digestion is not used to) which was salty. I was thirsty on the final morning and was glad for my 9am prearranged pickup.

I think therefore that I'd carry 3 ltrs per day when moving a fair bit in cool weather. In hindsight I guess I'd take out 7 to 8 ltrs for that trip, or maybe 5 ltrs if I had it sorted to make safe drinking water.

DaveBromley

May 17, 2010
Manchester, England
I tend to carry 2 1 litre bottles sig type. I also carry an empty 10 litre colapsible (sp) water carrier for use in camp for everything from washing up to drinking just filter and boil before filling. i only use this however when having a fixed camp as it is easier to get water along the way when on the move than lugging the extra weight i find

Dave

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE