How much water do you carry?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

cipherdias

Settler
Jan 1, 2014
Wales
This may come as a surprise considering my profession, but I carry Pepsi.
Why?
Tastes nice, contains sugar (=energy) and Caffeine .
Water for cooking and coffee is easily obtained.

Needs to be kept cold though or it ends up tasting rank!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Herman30

Silverclaws2

Nomad
Dec 30, 2019
Devon
Where I tramp, a litre and if extended beyond a day, the carrying of a water filter, to also employ good sense in where I draw water from.

Fortunately I am not a person that experiences over heating to force water loss by perspiration, to need to drink more water and there, carry more weight. But I don't half feel the cold.

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
Rather carry too much and throw away if necessary. Caught short once in the Lake District many years ago very hot days and could not find water for a day. When i did jumped in skin was dry and I was so thirsty. Since then carry extra in platypus bottles.

Reactions: Herman30

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
Was talking about this with my brother the other day, we used to go out walking and cycling as teens and never thought to take any water with us. These days I would only consider more than 2 ltrs if it were a particularly hot day and I had a bit of altitude to climb, other than that one of those very convenient US quart (which is *not* incidentally a quarter of a UK gallon) canteens is more than sufficient. Otherwise a swiss army canteen which is very pocketable.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
One ounce is the base unit in American and Imperial liquid measure.
One "cup" is 8 oz, and 4 cups to an American quart of 32 ounces.
Five cups to an Imperial quart of 40 ounces for 160 ounces to an imperial gallon.

For all the rest, one "cup" approximates 250 milliliters so 4 of those in a liter.

If I was travelling into sand dune country for photography, I could be all alone for a while.
On the floor in the back seat, I loaded 15 x 2 liter plastic pop bottles of water.
The wind was deceptive at +35C = sucked the moisture right out of you before you knew it.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
There were all sorts of systems of measurement all over Europe and Asia.
The units were tied to arbitrary items of familiarity (eg barley seeds for shoe sizes).
The metric system was born out of global materials that nobody can change
except for the recent squabble over the length of a meter.

I've got along fine with SI metric for many decades with one exception.
I can't imagine distances in kilometers. Never could.

I gave up on the 2 liter pop bottles for water.
Now (if needed), I use 10 liter water jugs for convenience as they all have taps on them.
The worst puzzle is that all the fittings leak and drool.
Not an inconvenience to need to tip them over for use.

Reactions: Winnet and Billy-o

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
Funny you should say that about imagining distances in miles or kilometers. I seem to need to know both, or work out one from the other, before I get a picture.

The UK decimalised when I was about 9 or 10, so, I grew up in both, but really started in imperial

Reactions: Robson Valley

TLM

Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
the recent squabble over the length of a meter
As far as I understand the problem was over kilogram and they finally found a way to tie it to something else than a glob of metal.
As a unit it is very misleadingly named as it is not a derived but basic unit.

Kilometer is easy just take a thousand meters and call it a click. The definition of meter is very clear:
"The metre is the length of the path travelled by light in vacuum during a time interval of 1/299 792 458 of a second."

Getting used to them is a different matter but actually kg and m are easy some of the other units do end up as somewhat unwieldy. The main good point in engineering is that there are no ratios between SI units.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
A kilogram is 1 liter of water at STP. That's a cube, 100 mm on each edge.
I found it a relief to see the SI system taken out of the laboratory and applied across everyday life.
I find that I imagine volumes and mass with the waxed cardboard milk containers.
Or the box that holds 6 by 1 liter wine bottles.

Back last summer, we had a Do Not Use or a Boil Water Notice for many weeks.
I was using 1,500 ml plonk bottles as my water source in the kitchen.
Certainly aware of how much Heidi-cat and I used every day. About 5 liters.
The village had a tanker of free clean water for all of us to enjoy.
That's where the 10 liter water jugs came in quite handy.

The SI metric system presents no obstacles to me over the past 5-6 decades.
Just distance. And thus, speeds too, I suppose.

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
Funny you should say that about imagining distances in miles or kilometers. I seem to need to know both, or work out one from the other, before I get a picture.

The UK decimalised when I was about 9 or 10, so, I grew up in both, but really started in imperial

Must be similar age, remember it well just go the hang of imperial at school and they changed everything

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
In summer, I will fill a water jug half full and put it in the deep freeze.
Drink it at road stops as it melts.

Nearly time for 5 x 30 ml water solid phase, flooded (big non-metric word) with dry vermouth
and garnished with a slice (more Imperial) of fresh lime. Water is good.
Collectively, the unit of measurement is a "slurp."

Laurentius

Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
One ounce is the base unit in American and Imperial liquid measure.
One "cup" is 8 oz, and 4 cups to an American quart of 32 ounces.
Five cups to an Imperial quart of 40 ounces for 160 ounces to an imperial gallon.

For all the rest, one "cup" approximates 250 milliliters so 4 of those in a liter.

If I was travelling into sand dune country for photography, I could be all alone for a while.
On the floor in the back seat, I loaded 15 x 2 liter plastic pop bottles of water.
The wind was deceptive at +35C = sucked the moisture right out of you before you knew it.
FWIW I have just measured out the 2 quart canteen and the Swiss army canteen in old money, using an English Pint glass. The US canteen contains just under 3 pints and the Swiss canteen just under 1 and a half pints. Carry both of them together and I will have just over 2 English quarts or half a gallon, which should be enough for most folks.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE