How much to spend on an axe

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jan 13, 2019
Gallifrey
i want a small hatchet to use for splitting, carving and other smaller duties. I don’t know much about axes and hatchets, so need advice about size, cost, where to buy from.

Thanks,

Darryl

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
I've had a very old hatchet for most of my life. It's not branded but it's done everything I wanted to do. You can spend a lot of money on various brands that are popular with bushcrafters. But I would suggest you go to a good tool shop and have a look and feel with what they have to offer before you spend a lot of cash on something orderd online that you have never handled. My latest axe cost £10. It's a 1 and a half pounder. It's all I need. Later on when you have been to some bushcraft camps or shows and felt how something feels in your hand you can fork out a bit more on a branded axe if you feel you need to. A cheap axe is never going to be perfect. But all you need is a tool that does the job effectively. You might want to get a second hand one to start with. Old axes /hatchets are often very solid tools. My splitting axe is second hand and still does a grand job. No idea of the brand but it came from a friends father who died and he'd had it in the late 1950s.

Maxsdad

Feb 22, 2015
Morpeth
I would completely agree with the above ! I have a Gransfors Small Forest Axe and its a lovely thing to use , i also have an axe i got off my grandad when he died , it was rusty and needed a new handle and at least 50 yrs old. I cleaned it up and put a new handle on gave it a sharpen and its just as good. It does not have a well known bushcraft name but cost me nothing other than a bit of elbow grease !

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I know you've had a look through some of the older threads on this ;) so I won't repeat what I've said before. What I will do is answer your direct question. I enjoy buying and restoring old English make axes; not a single one has cost me more than £5. As to size, it depends entirely on the purpose but a good splitting axe doesn't make the best carving axe; the grind of the edge on the splitting axe is thicker to create a splitting action without sticking in the wood and the whole head is usually thicker. A good carving axe will have a finer grind and a thinner head. But, if you only pay £3 to £5 for the head you can afford to have a few (my cheapest small axe head was only 50p).

Here's just three of the many I've restored:

IMG_8074 - 2 - 512 - 25.jpg

and this is an axe I re-profiled to make a right-handed carving axe:

finished axe - 512 - 768.jpg

Jan 13, 2019
Gallifrey
You’re right, for now all I need is something to get used to using. I came across this. Would it be overkill or enough for most of my extreme picnicking needs? And what about sharpening?

https://wood-tools.co.uk/tools/the-robin-wood-axe/

Wherever possible, I like to support small businesses, so that’s what mostly attracted me to this company. The other thing was it being mentioned on Youtube by someone whose opinion I trust. But if it means finding one down the tip or at a car boot, so be it.

Thanks for your advice,

Darryl

Reactions: Erbswurst
Jan 13, 2019
Gallifrey
I know you've had a look through some of the older threads on this ;) so I won't repeat what I've said before. What I will do is answer your direct question. I enjoy buying and restoring old English make axes; not a single one has cost me more than £5. As to size, it depends entirely on the purpose but a good splitting axe doesn't make the best carving axe; the grind of the edge on the splitting axe is thicker to create a splitting action without sticking in the wood and the whole head is usually thicker. A good carving axe will have a finer grind and a thinner head. But, if you only pay £3 to £5 for the head you can afford to have a few (my cheapest small axe head was only 50p).

Here's just three of the many I've restored:

View attachment 52391

and this is an axe I re-profiled to make a right-handed carving axe:

View attachment 52392

I did have a read through of a couple of old threads, honest. ;)

So remind me, where did you say this source of cheap axe-based delights is to be found? I think i’m after something to split fat wood into sticks, carve spoons and other non tree felling activities. I could get a heavier axe should the need arise. Is this one of those you’ll find axes everywhere ‘once you get your eye in’ type of things?

Ps. I feel self conscious enough with a folding saw and fixed blade on me while in the woods i’ve been to so far, so an axe is going to require some getting used to.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I did have a read through of a couple of old threads, honest. ;)

So remind me, where did you say this source of cheap axe-based delights is to be found? I think I’m after something to split fat wood into sticks, carve spoons and other non tree felling activities. I could get a heavier axe should the need arise. Is this one of those you’ll find axes everywhere ‘once you get your eye in’ type of things?

Ps. I feel self conscious enough with a folding saw and fixed blade on me while in the woods I’ve been to so far, so an axe is going to require some getting used to.

I've found them on car boot sales, in junk shops, antiques and bric-a-brac shops and stalls. It all started when I found my grandfather's axe going rusty in my father's shed (honest).

However, it's not car boot sale season, so, if I was you I'd buy a cheap £10 axe to 'play' with while you wait for that perfect 'find' - such as:

https://www.screwfix.com/p/forge-steel-hickory-handle-axe-1-lb/2026c

It will do all you want I'm sure.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
You do not need an axe while outside civilisation.
A knife is enough. You do not plan to fell trees.

Imo, an axe for carving is not the same axe you need for splitting wood, or sticks.
Carving axe - sharp
Splitting axe - blunt.
The angles on the edge are different too.
I have several axes, and only the Gränsfors small hatchet is ’knife sharp. The other axes are if various Scandinavian makes, and used to split woid.
My next small project is to restore a very old, weird Norwegian (?) axe I found hidden in the foundation of my house. Maybe 1800’.

Last edited:

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Try junk shops. They are full of old tools. I go to the scyth fair every year near Langport somerset. I have picked up some smashing tools for woodworking. This year (9th june) I shall be looking for a couple of files and some gouges for bowls. Incidentally folks this is a fantastic day out and you can also camp over the weekend which I always do. Loads of interesting things to see and do as well as watching the scything tho I never have much time for that as I'm too busy hunting things out and catching up with friends! Sorry a bit off thread there but it realy is a fantastic resource for tools etc

Reactions: Darryl of Sussex
Jan 13, 2019
Gallifrey
I've found them on car boot sales, in junk shops, antiques and bric-a-brac shops and stalls. It all started when I found my grandfather's axe going rusty in my father's shed (honest).

However, it's not car boot sale season, so, if I was you I'd buy a cheap £10 axe to 'play' with while you wait for that perfect 'find' - such as:

https://www.screwfix.com/p/forge-steel-hickory-handle-axe-1-lb/2026c

It will do all you want I'm sure.

Thanks.

1¼ lbs? I shall pay them in guineas!

Reactions: robevs73

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
The modern quality production axes with composite handles are just as good as those made by artisans and Gränsfors/ Hults Bruk. If not better. Plus cheaper.
Check out Husqvarna. Wetterlings. Other good brands around. Fiskars?

Even cheap low quality axes of today are hetter than axes were 150 years ago.

I suspect the quality is more even on ’massproduced’ axes.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
There has to be enough mass in the head to do the job with control.
Pick up anything in the 1.5 - 2.5 pound range and dress it up to working condition.
Use it a lot.
That way, you find out what all it is that you really want the next one to be capable of.

You should learn bevel angles and learn to manage some sharpening abrasives.

I have paid no attention to design. Just use it. Maybe of value if you had to swing an axe 8 hours per day.
Must be 3 or 4 in my shop and they are never needed for any stage of wood carving.
My choices are draw knives and elbow adzes as far superior.

With lots of grapes and some apples, I just fell into the rut of buying Fiskars loppers, saws and shears.
So I guessed that their hatchets would be adequate for little things. Trimming, no more.
I have a 3.5lb Sandvik for splitting firewood and shake blocks. Never fails.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
You’re right, for now all I need is something to get used to using. I came across this. Would it be overkill or enough for most of my extreme picnicking needs? And what about sharpening?

https://wood-tools.co.uk/tools/the-robin-wood-axe/

Wherever possible, I like to support small businesses, so that’s what mostly attracted me to this company. The other thing was it being mentioned on Youtube by someone whose opinion I trust. But if it means finding one down the tip or at a car boot, so be it.

Thanks for your advice,

Darryl

I wouldn’t. The quality is hit and miss. Do a search here, you’ll find useful info on the Robin Wood lack of quality control. The heads are drop forged in China and many people have questioned the quality, finish, and heat treat.

A Hultafors, or Fiskars will do you well to start. I’m not sure if The Weald and Downland still stock the Gransfors, but I can take a wander over the road tomorrow and see what they stock if you want. They’re overpriced IMO, but I am fond of them.

Personally, though I love my SFA, it’s not a brand anyone had even heard of until Uncle Ray started using one, then all the Bushcrafters went mad about them. Find me a google hit on Gransfors prior to his usage...there aren’t any, an unheard of brand.

The very nicest thing about the SFA is the ergonomics of the handle. The blade is slim, very good for deep cuts and the handle for choking up for more delicate cutting or getting right back on for a good swipe, but it’s not the only head with these properties. Just my 2 pence, but I’d seriously avoid the Robin Wood.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Remember, Ray started his bushcrafting around the time internet became a little bit more widespread.
So no internet search today will find much written on the ‘net before that, as there was not much of it!

Also I suspect you had your own Brit manufacturers of axes, so not much need for Swedish imports?

Gränsfors and the other manufacturers were very aktive and profitable pretty much until the Swedish Armed forces stopped buying new stock ( because most regiments and units were shut down)

Did an axe belong to a bushcrafter’ standard equipment before Ray?
My generation of nature lovers in Sweden and Norway do not see an axe as essential.
Not sure about the young ones.

Overpriced they are not. Expensive because the salary and tax system makes producing them expensive.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE