How much do you spend?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
demographic said:
I am just playing devils advocate here so don't take it too seriously but what about the craftsmens workshops being far less efficiant than those factories, using tools for a few minutes at a time instead of in shifts (so more tools needed which have to be made somewhere), and the carrage of small quantities of materials to those workshops instead of in bulk to the factories.

One of my definitions of a craftsman is someone who can make his own tools.

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Wayland said:
One of my definitions of a craftsman is someone who can make his own tools.

Same here, I have made some of my own and quite often modify or repair others.

Most of the time its not practical to do so unless your willing to buy a huge quantity of tools that are going to sit idle untill I need another (insert name of broken tool here).
If your tools make you money, you don't play at making them if they cost less to buy than you would earn in the time it takes to make them though.

Thats why I don't use re-sharpenable handsaws at work, they take more time (which equals money) to sharpen than a disposable Sandvik/Bahco costs to buy.
I suspect that your case could well be different though as you make money from re-enacting ancient techniques if I remember right.

Hey, I like posh handmade stuff as much as the next bloke but was just playing devils advocate :D

fred gordon

Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
I like good looking (aesthetic) kit that does the job and sometimes you have to be prepared to pay the price for craftmanship. There are lots of people here who produce first class kit and few would argue it isn't worth the money. I also seem to recall a recent thread about people having to stand in the naughty corner or steps through buying too much, or too expersive gear! I hope partners are not reading this thread too closely! :lmao:

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Wayland said:
Just remember "Old Nik" is a Norse God..... ;)

From whick Nickel got its name if I remember it right.

Its hardness gave it the name of containing Old Nik

Something like that anyway :)

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
I think the most I spent was £45 on my stove...(but that will last forever)

and the next was £20 on an arctic sleeping bag.

most of my stuff is from car boots, traded or made. I cant afford fancy kit.

sten

Jan 13, 2007
the dreaded 'burbs
Any really good reason to spend more? Any really good examples of a costly worthwhile purchase?

Shoes and beds - if you're not in one you're in the other!! :lmao:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE