How much coffee is too much coffee

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Alan 13~7

Settler
Oct 2, 2014
Prestwick, Scotland
http://www.torontosun.com/2017/04/27/how-much-coffee-is-too-much-coffee

Researchers for the International Life Sciences Institute came to the conclusion that

consuming 400mg of caffeine – roughly four cups of coffee – was safe for adults after reviewing more than 740 studies on the effects of ..... Yawn...BLA BLA BLA

Cowboy coffee with either Taylors High Voltage or the Grumpy Mule coffee company.

SWIMBO & I have now for 8 days been drinking "Grumpy Mule coffee" which until I read Johnnyboy's post I had never heard of... I liked the name so thought I would check it out, & found I also liked the story behind it, & so bought 227g I now after only 8 days have only 44g left
Today I made a pot of my usual preferred brand "Kenyan aa" & I instantly noticed a bitterness which before I hadn't really noticed before.

So have to say I now have a new preferred brand & flavour coffee:~
"Roast to order, Ethiopia Nefas Farm epic seasonal crafted coffee Beans"

183g in 8 days? & still not hitting the 4 cups mark though YAY! We don't necessarily drink coffee every day either,

Not really thought about it till now but was getting through around 500g every 4~5 weeks so guessing an average of around 100g per week (2 drinkers swimbo & me)

How about you guys how much coffee do you guys get through?

& how much coffee do you think is too much coffee?

Bazooka Joe

Tenderfoot
Oct 27, 2011
Danmark
Too much coffee is when you start shaking because of it. I've had that a few times, usually after a pot or two of strong filter coffee.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Barbara and I drink a pot (a normal 12 cup pot) every morning before breakfast in the Summer. Occasionally another cup or two during the day. In Winter my daytime consumption goes up.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
2 big cups, maybe 3 some days. But that first cup in the morning really straightens out my feathers.
Boil the kettle, grind the beans, look out at all my snow-covered vertical scenery.
Take stock of today's aches and pains, scratch where it itches. Pour. Sit. Watch the humming birds.

Old Bones

Settler
Oct 14, 2009
East Anglia
There was a point where I started getting headaches, and thats when you really need to go to decaf!

Four cups of strong coffee a day is probably OK (and I should go back to grinding some beans - it does taste nicer), but having a coffee machine in the office, or a mug which keeps a lot of coffee hot for a long time is lethal. At one point, when I was a researcher, we had both.

My mum brought back one of these https://www.amazon.com/Starbucks-16...93398549&sr=1-13&keywords=starbucks+steel+cup about 20 years ago from the States, before we even had Starbucks in the UK (Starbucks...ho ho ho, said my colleagues), and it holds almost half a litre. So you ended up drinking a lot of coffee, even though your just having one cup.

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
How much is too much? When your morning roast and grind requires this?

s-l300.jpg

Unceremoniously nicked from here ~ http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Coffee-ro...140702?hash=item33cc40f31e:g:sSgAAOSwFMZWsW5c . No connection to seller, link provided as it's only fair to provide the source credit.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
I used to share a room with a friend that had a habit of making coffee in the evening and pour it in a thermos. As soon as he woke up he lit up a cigarette and drink some coffee, still in bed.

Yes, we were healthy those days!

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
My brother went to the doctor, worried about his heart (he was getting palpitations).
"How much coffee do you drink?"
"Quite a bit"
"How much is quite a bit"

30 - 36 ordinary cups a day.

He had a large 12-cup filter coffee maker and was drinking three jugs full of that a day. Cut back to no more than one and the palpitations stopped.

Tonyuk

Settler
Nov 30, 2011
Scotland
I have about 8 ish mugs a day easily. Tea in the evening however, makes me sleep a bit better. Unfortunately i seem to have of become dependant on caffeine, i can really feel it when i haven't had a coffee etc.. all day. Normally comes on as a headache and feeling tired, might try to cut it down a bit in the new year.

Tonyuk

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Wow, that is a serious dose of Caffeine!
But a good amount of water!

My brother went to the doctor, worried about his heart (he was getting palpitations).
"Quite a bit"

He had a large 12-cup filter coffee maker and was drinking three jugs full of that a day. Cut back to no more than one and the palpitations stopped.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
"Quite a bit"

Three pots is indeed a lot for one person; but do you really think a 12 cup coffee maker is large? That's an ordinary pot here (usually for 2 or 3 people though) for breakfast and occasionally another one later in the day.

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
Three pots is indeed a lot for one person; but do you really think a 12 cup coffee maker is large? That's an ordinary pot here (usually for 2 or 3 people though) for breakfast and occasionally another one later in the day.
Here we go, everything is bigger in America, blah blah

It is large compared to a small 6 cup filter machine.

daveO

Native
Jun 22, 2009
South Wales
I started getting palpitations from drinking 4 or 5 cups a day. I guess I was making them fairly strong but now I've cut down to 2 and drink gunpowder green tea for the rest of the day and I'm fine again.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida

Here we go, everything is bigger in America, blah blah

It is large compared to a small 6 cup filter machine.

A 6 cup is what I used when living alone. When I was in England y'all didn't like coffee enough to get ANY coffee pot at all; just an occasional instant was all my English friends drank. I wasn't overly fond of instant so I understood why they didn't drink much either. Or maybe the cause and effect were reversed?

I asked because I would have thought (from this forum) that y'all had begun drinking more coffee now? At least those on this or similar threads. The number of "cups" a coffee pot is advertised/rated to brew is based on the old 6 ounce serving size for coffee. Nobody drinks out of little cups any more. That "6 cup" coffee pot means about one and a half cups each for a couple of people using regular 10 to 12 ounce mugs like in most houses. Hardly near the ordinary 2 or 3 cups most folks drink at breakfast.

Until the relatively recent growth of places like Starbucks, coffee here was more than a drink. It was an almost mandatory act of hospitality to brew a pot and offer it to company (a shared experience very nearly as revered as Communion)

Nowadays, most people either get their coffee at aforementioned overpriced coffee shops or from machines that brew 1 cup at a time so everybody gets a different blend/roast. Something like this:

611247355985.jpg

Last edited:

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Those cup measures are for the old mocca cups.
Even my Nespresso machine produces that measure when I insert a Coffee Pod ( larger than a Espresso Pod)
I have to brew the pod twice ( push the button once more after the machines has finished brewing the first).
I know the machine can be adjusted, but sometimes I only want a Mocca cup amount...

Another solution to fix heart palpitations which are caused by Caffeine OD is to use Decaf beans, whole or ground.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Those cup measures are for the old mocca cups.
Even my Nespresso machine produces that measure when I insert a Coffee Pod ( larger than a Espresso Pod)
I have to brew the pod twice ( push the button once more after the machines has finished brewing the first).
I know the machine can be adjusted, but sometimes I only want a Mocca cup amount...

Another solution to fix heart palpitations which are caused by Caffeine OD is to use Decaf beans, whole or ground.

Yeah the modern 1 cup machines ask what size cup you want. Also yes about the decaf.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE