How many rucksacks do you have?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

CumbrianLad

Nomad
May 5, 2016
Carlisle
wow haha so it is a good place to ask for advice on what would be a good bag to buy for over night camping was recently just using the boot off my car but that does not allow me to explore as much as i would like to

Buster80

Forager
Apr 12, 2015
Scotland
My large one from my mum turns out to be a Vango Exodus Polair 65ltr, top lid has its zip bust but I'm sure somewhere can fix it.

Did she do good?

She only spent penny's knowing my mum!

Buster

StJon

Nomad
May 25, 2006
Largs
Got a few that fit different needs...
Kifaru Express with long pockets
Kifaru Tailgunner II
Maxpedition Falcon II
Macpac Torlesse
Topo Klettersack
Boblbee Megalopolis Sport
OMM Villain
Also a load of shoulder bags, but that is an other thread...

Nohoval_Turrets

Sep 28, 2004
Ireland
I've managed to rationalise somewhat, mainly down to realising that a Sabre45 would do me Summer and Winter:

Karrimor Sabre 45 - with side pockets
Karrimor Sabre 35 - daypack
Lowe Alpine Flywheel 30 - low-profile cycling pack
Sea To Summit Ultra-Slil day pack

The Ultra-Sil daypack I use as a tent bag, and then can be used as a lightweight day pack for walks from basecamp.

Herbalist1

Settler
Jun 24, 2011
North Yorks
Oh bum - just remembered that I've also got a couple of small packs - mainly hydration pack with an additional pocket for essentials (not counting my surplus hydration pack as that is just that - no storage space so it doesn't qualify), an Osprey bumbag that folds out to a rucksack when you need more room) and a Maxpedition large drop pouch that folds out to a small rucksack!
That takes me to 13 now. An unlucky number so I guess I'll have to get another now just to make it a safe 14. Of course, I could donate a couple to my son which might be cheaper even though he has a perfectly good one for the moment.
Im realising I have even more of a problem than I thought!!

Too many.

I experimented for years with rucksacks until I had an epiphany. I've all sorts of bombproof, 1000 denier jobs with elaborate suspension systems, as well as traditional canvas and leather, until I realised that that up to a quarter of the weight I was carrying - depending on the load - was the rucksack itself! I've started walking more than fixed camping and weight has become an issue.

I finally went with a ULA Circuit pack which comes in at 41oz - which you can lighten further by removing some of the removables, like the hydration bladder sleeve, for example.

It's not the lightest pack around, but it has an excellent strength/ robustness to weight ratio. The size is perfect (around 60 litres with a 45 litre main compartment - expandable due to its roll top closure). This enables me to keep my summer pack weight down to around 20-25lbs and winter, a hair over 30lbs.

Nevyn

May 15, 2016
Whitstable
Karrimor Lynx 65 (been my main bag for 20 years)
Woodlore leaf cutter (my new one)
Hazard 4 plan b sling pack

Looks like I need some more bags!

Bishop

Jan 25, 2014
Pencader
Description
Capacity Litres
BA Bergen + rocket pods
Cobmaster
Outbound 78
Regatta 'Landtrekka'
Millets/Campari 'Trekker'
35-45
Gelert 'Exmoor 65'

Still looking for nice vintage Kelty pack...

Apr 12, 2014
middle earth
Biggest: berghaus vulcan with side pockets 100ltr. Used if I'm out for longer than a week, or overnighting with my children.

Medium: karrimor sabre 45 with side pockets from above if needed. Used if I'm out overnight by myself, or out for up to a week.

Small: Bergans of Norway Langevann 11ltr hip pack. This has become my every day pack, enabling me to carry all I need for a days excursion, or if I'm somehow benighted.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Lancer165l

Jul 28, 2016
Windermere
Army DPM infantry long back bergen and pockets
Same in OG
DPM patrol sack 50l
Sabre 45 coyote
Sabre 60/100 black
MTP patrolsack 20l
Berghaus Vulcan , in canvas,(Somewhere)

Got to get rid of some of the military stuff as I'm no longer serving, so the big bergens will be going!

Civvy:

Go lite 40l sack
Montane Cobra

Highbinder

Jul 11, 2010
Under a tree
I have only one. The Bergans Powerframe 130L+ customized for me with 214 liters and some improvements in case of back length and details.

What on earth do you need a 214 litre backpack for? Or at least to the extent where you don't need anything smaller?

I only have three, a 30l, a 45-65l, and what used to be an 88l before I cut the pockets off (I reckon around 75l now).

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE