How many Bushcrafters does it take to change a light bulb?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
"How many Bushcrafters does it take to change a light bulb?"

I thought this might be a bit of fun. You know the joke routine, along the line of: -

Q. How many folk singers does it take to change a light bulb?

A. 4 - that's one to change the light bulb and three to sing about how good the old one was. :lmao:

Post your replies to the thread and I'll give the sender of the best post a fomes fomentarius for making some tinder with. Winner will be selected - prolly need a panel of judges, me and the first two members to PM requesting to be judges? :confused:

Ending date for entry is Tuesday 19/12/06 at 12 midnight

Anyway - though it might be a bit of fun :eek:

Phil.

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
"How many Bushcrafters does it take to change a light bulb?" :thinkerg:
1 to knock up a hop up, to get to the bulb, and 49 to sit round the fire and discuss what the hell an electric bulb is doing in the middle of the woods..... :D

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Not sure how many it takes but I changed mine into a solar fire starter buy putting some water in the glass ,and a ferrule for a walking stick..........

BB would like me to change it back now...this might be more of a challenge.....

Red

weekend_warrior

Jun 21, 2005
North London
Too Much Kit To Carry said:
"How many Bushcrafters does it take to change a light bulb?"

Answer: One, but it takes a while. First remove old light bulb and discuss at length on the forum how to ecologically dispose of it - get depressed about the state of the seas and global warming and spend the night in darkness to compensate.

Day 2: Go out and collect lots of pine resin a long hazel stick and return home. Decide which of your myriad of knives would be best suited to splitting the stick - post on the forum for advice and then enter lengthy discussion.

Day 10: After having heated discussions about selecting a knife, having fallen out with a few people, made up again and had the thread locked you decide to use the usual frosts clipper. You split the stick and insert the pine resin, binding the base of the split with nettle cordage you stole from Fenlander at the summer moot. After carefully crafting the opposite end of the stick you get a great fit in the light bulb socket and then admire your work as the sun goes down again.

Day 11: After spending 6 hours trying fire by friction and having treated the 2nd degree blistering, you nip next door and borrow a lighter. The resin ignites beautifully and you have light! Alas flaming balls of resin drop and set fire to the carpet. The house is ablaze in minutes.

Day 12: shell of house still smoking, but had a great night in a group buy hammock and the bannock cooked beautifully in the embers

Day 20: the Fire officers report fails to find accelerants at the fire base (phew!) and after only 4 months the insurance company release funds for the rebuilding.

9 Months later: You finally get into the rebuilt house and, yes, the light bulb now works.... :D

Reactions: BOD and andyn

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
weekend_warrior said:
Answer: One, but it takes a while. First remove old light bulb and discuss at length on the forum how to ecologically dispose of it - get depressed about the state of the seas and global warming and spend the night in darkness to compensate.

Day 2: Go out and collect lots of pine resin a long hazel stick and return home. Decide which of your myriad of knives would be best suited to splitting the stick - post on the forum for advice and then enter lengthy discussion.

Day 10: After having heated discussions about selecting a knife, having fallen out with a few people, made up again and had the thread locked you decide to use the usual frosts clipper. You split the stick and insert the pine resin, binding the base of the split with nettle cordage you stole from Fenlander at the summer moot. After carefully crafting the opposite end of the stick you get a great fit in the light bulb socket and then admire your work as the sun goes down again.

Day 11: After spending 6 hours trying fire by friction and having treated the 2nd degree blistering, you nip next door and borrow a lighter. The resin ignites beautifully and you have light! Alas flaming balls of resin drop and set fire to the carpet. The house is ablaze in minutes.

Day 12: shell of house still smoking, but had a great night in a group buy hammock and the bannock cooked beautifully in the embers

Day 20: the Fire officers report fails to find accelerants at the fire base (phew!) and after only 4 months the insurance company release funds for the rebuilding.

9 Months later: You finally get into the rebuilt house and, yes, the light bulb now works.... :D

You gotta gets points for effort. That was great.

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
Actually I don't think that the light bulb should be changed. The new one is sure to be heavier and weigh down my pack

There must be some way to repair it if it is broken.

Greywolf

Forager
Jun 5, 2005
East Riding of Yorkshire

one to post a picture of the dead one,

five to discuss just what sort it might be.

one expert to point out it is a 'globus illuminarii' and should be treated with care.

one other expert to point out the error of the first expert and that in fact 'Luminarus Vulgaris' but understands how the mistake is easily made.

one new bushcrafter asking where they can be found.

one Moderator to close the thread because it all got too silly :D

weekend_warrior said:

Thanks to you all for all the replies and for getting involved :You_Rock_

Hands down win there Weekend Warrior - spot on :notworthy

Rich PM me your address and I'll post off the Fomes.

Thanks everybody.

Seasons Greetings and all that :D

Phil.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE