How long is a piece of string.........going to last?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Montivagus

Nomad
Sep 7, 2006
gone
Does anyone know where I can get some decent string/cordage.

I´m really fed up with just about everything I use these days! Para cord has its guts hanging out in no time, the natural stuff I buy is just not good enough etc. etc. I have lots of short lengths of expensive climbing stuff but don´t want to pay for this type of thing by the tens of meter! :eek:

I remember as a kid using the same few metres of common-or-garden string, for months, without it fraying, (too much) decaying or snapping - for everything from shelter building to crab-fishing!

Am I having my first attack of "it was better in the old days" or was string better in the old days? :confused: :dunno:

:D

sam_acw

Native
Sep 2, 2005
Tyneside
fluffy sisal (?) string is ok for projects but not repeated reuse. I don't like nylon as the individual bits tend to split up.
Just buy lots of cheap bits!!

Reactions: Montivagus

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
Welsh Harp Boat Centre
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Address 270 The Broadway, The Hyde, London
Phone 020 8202 8677
Fax
Postcode NW9 6AE

They do loads of diferent rope from a few mm to a few inches, all of it is designed to resist abuse because it's for boating.

They often sell "end of reel" lengths of about 30m really cheap I got a load from them a while back. (yes they have green :lmao: )

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Vancouver Island, Canada.
I've never had any problems with paracord. My old man's a CI with our local Air Cadet squadron and teaches survival. So, the DND sends him stuff whenever he asks for it. At the moment I've got a 50yard roll of green paracord sitting in my garage. I think there's another 50 yard roll of while cord sitting around here somewhere. That reminds me, if any of you UK types want some, I suppose I could mail a few feet of it if anyone wanted any.

Adam

wizard

Nomad
Jan 13, 2006
USA
As long as you are not going to hang from it, get some yachting cord made of dacron. It does not deteriorate in the sunlight (UV) like nylon does. It comes in about all the usual sizes.

longshot

Need to contact Admin...
Mar 16, 2006
Newfoundland, Canada
question: do you live near a fishing port? if you do find out from the fishermen where they get the line for their nets and traps, such cordage is strong and will resist much abuse,

dean

Montivagus

Nomad
Sep 7, 2006
gone
Thanks for the replies! The winner at the moment has to be the Dublin Linen Best Twist, 5p a meter :D and I like the name! - thanks Toddy! :)

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Dunno bout cheap but some of the thin (about 3-4 mm) climbers accessory cord I used for bootlaces outlasted 5 (mebbe even six but I an not sure) pairs of boots and even then I only wore through the outer.

Paracord is complete and utter gash in comparison :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE