How I made my axe better.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

-Switch-

Settler
Jan 16, 2006
Still stuck in Nothingtown...
I was in Homebase a few weeks ago with the intention of buying one of the Fiskars mini hatchets I'd seen in there before. Unfortunately they had none in stock but they did have some 1 1/2 lb Wilkinson Sword camp axes in there so I decided to buy one of those instead.

After getting it home I realised I'd need to modify it a bit to suit me so I decided to put a step-by-step guide up here to show how I went about it.

I don't know enough to be able to class this as a tutorial, so think of it more as a demonstation with pictures. :D

First step was to choose the axe. There were quite a few there so I went through them all and picked the one that's helve had the best grain and lined up properly with the head.

The helve had a nasty varnish coating on it which I decided to get rid of as it can stick to the hand and give blisters during heavy use. (I don't have a picture of it in it's original state so you'll have to take my word for it ;) ) So first thing to do was get rid of the varnish.
I used 80 grit aluminium-oxide paper to give it a good rub down, then wiped the dust off with some rag.
The handle now needed protecting so out came the linseed oil.
I soaked some paper towel in linseed oil then wrapped it around the handle. Then I wrapped cling film around the paper towel and left it in the shed for a few days to soak in.
(note the rather useless rubber edge-guard - that'll go a bit later as well)
DSC00464.jpg

This is how it looked after a week when it was unwrapped. Very nice :D
DSCF0008.jpg

Next thing to do was reduce the head.
The head was a symmetrical shape but I didn't want the top curve of the head as I find it gets in the way when carving. So it would need to be flattened.
DSCF0009.jpg

I marked up the metal to be removed with a permanent marker.
DSCF0020.jpg

Next step was to clamp it firmly in the workbench and dig out the hacksaw and file.
I hacksawed the metal off just inside the shaded area so it could be finished with the file without removing too much metal. The sawing and filing was done slooowly so as not to ruin the hardness of the metal by over-heating.
This was a lot of work :( .
DSCF0047.jpg

DSCF0046.jpg

Removing the metal has also reduced the weight, which wasn't 1 1/2lb to start with, so the head is now just over 1lb which makes it alot easier and less tiring to use when carving.

The next step was to do away with that horrible black paint on the head. I know it's there for rust-proofing but I don't entirely trust it. I would prefer to have a clean head and use oil to prevent rust. At least then if it does rust I can see it, rather than it rusting away behind some nasty black paint.
I used 80 grit ali-oxide paper again, then gave it a basic finish with 320 grit wet'n'dry.
DSCF0050.jpg

At this point I went to the Bushmoot ( :beerchug: :red: :swordfigh :D )

The axe however went to Dougster to be measured up and fitted with a proper sheath (mask) to replace that God-awful and frankly rather useless rubber guard that came with it.

Back from the 'moot and with a decent mask in my possession, I could now finish the head. The edge was taken off before it was given to Dougster to make his job a bit easier and safer, plus I was going to re-grind the edge at some point anyway so it seemed right to do it before handing it over.

I used a rough grit oil stone to grind a new edge on to the head. Next I used Japanese water-stones (1200g, 6000g) to hone then polish the edge.
I wanted to also give the head a good shine to it as I find it cuts through wood easier when the head is smooth and polished. I used 400g, 600g, 1200g, and 2500g wet'n'dry paper and a lot of elbow grease to get a good finish.
DSCF0078.jpg

And here it is, finally finished! :D

DSCF0084.jpg

DSCF0082.jpg

DSCF0081.jpg

Many thanks to Dougster for the sheath - 10 out of 10 mate :You_Rock_

Hope that lot was interesting to someone, thanks for reading :D

shep

Maker
Mar 22, 2007
Norfolk
Great axe (and mask).
But holy-moly :yikes: that looks like hard work hacksawing off the top of the blade and bringing out that shine. Labour of love I guess?

-Switch-

Settler
Jan 16, 2006
If I'd known how much work would be involved I would've just bought a Gransfors ;) :D

All done by hand as well - no power tools, just hacksaw, file, wet'n'dry and stones.
I'm now thinking of getting a Dremel.

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
That's brilliant... you've made a £15 axe priceless and unique to you with a few hand tools, a lot of patience and a friend with leather (oo-err).

Looks rather nice now!

-Switch-

Settler
Jan 16, 2006
Nice job :lmao: Have one question about the axe to me it look like a axe made in kina do some no if it are made there ?????
Cegga

I have no idea where it's made. All the details were printed in ink on top of the varnished handle and they all came off when it got rubbed down.

It's Wilkinson Sword so I'm hopeful that it's made in Sheffield, but I doubt it. :( China probably.

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
Wilkinson sword "the name on the worlds finest blades" Whats it like for taking and keeping an edge? Would it go all day more or less or does it wear out fast? I like that miror efect on the whole head not just the area right necxt to the cutting edge. Less likey to rust. In fact it made me think my splitting axe would work even better if it was done like that, it rareley sticks when I do firewoods BUT if it was smooth like your one I'd need less effort to do the same work. It was picked up from a farmer in Normandy and is a bit pitted and rough. I might just do that, but I confess for speed I would use cloth wheel's rather than by hand :D Nice job, nice holster too :cool: cheers Jonathan :)

-Switch-

Settler
Jan 16, 2006
Wilkinson sword "the name on the worlds finest blades" Whats it like for taking and keeping an edge? Would it go all day more or less or does it wear out fast? I like that miror efect on the whole head not just the area right necxt to the cutting edge. Less likey to rust. In fact it made me think my splitting axe would work even better if it was done like that, it rareley sticks when I do firewoods BUT if it was smooth like your one I'd need less effort to do the same work. It was picked up from a farmer in Normandy and is a bit pitted and rough. I might just do that, but I confess for speed I would use cloth wheel's rather than by hand :D Nice job, nice holster too :cool: cheers Jonathan :)

After I got all the paint off the head I found that it was quite pitted. The pictures don't really show it though. I don't mind too much as I think the little blemishes give it a bit of character :D

It took an edge quite well, but it was quite a bit of work as the metal is rather hard, which leads me to think it will keep the edge well although it will be vulnerable to chipping if I hit anything hard. It's going to be used for carving though rather than splitting so I'm hoping I'll keep the chips to a minimum. Having said that, I don't really know how well it will retain the edge as I haven't used it yet. I'll keep you posted when I get round to giving it a good test.

-Switch-

Settler
Jan 16, 2006
nice job there Switch.

I'm off to homebase tomorrow to pick one up .. i'll drop it in to you ;)

No you bloody won't mate! I had no idea how much effort it would take to re-shape that head and I'm not planning on doing another one like that again for a looooong time.
I think I'm going to stick to knives for a while - far less work :D

Unless I get myself some good tools of course to make it a bit easier.

Twoflower

Nomad
May 11, 2007
Northants
Unless I get myself some good tools of course to make it a bit easier.

I've just been fondling my new (well, second hand from my dad) grinding wheel wondering when/where the hell i'm going to use it .. D'ya think it'd grind off the axe head without any lasting damage?

-Switch-

Settler
Jan 16, 2006
I've just been fondling my new (well, second hand from my dad) grinding wheel wondering when/where the hell i'm going to use it .. D'ya think it'd grind off the axe head without any lasting damage?

I don't know about that. I would be tempted not to use it as the heat it generates might ruin the temper of the metal which would make it soft and you'd be forever sharpening it. You can re-heat it afterwards of course to get it back to the same hardness but I'm not knowledgable enough on that subject to start dishing out advice.

You might do best starting a new thread and asking in the forum. I don't really know that much compared to some of the guys here. British Red for example - he's your man for axes :D

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
That's lovely work Switch - well done - anyone would be proud to own that. An object lesson in making a lot from a little (or a silk purse........)

Red

-Switch-

Settler
Jan 16, 2006
Thanks for the comment Red, that's a compliment coming from you :)

By the way, it was your idea I borrowed for oiling the handle by wrapping it up. It works a treat :D I left it wrapped for a lot longer than I originally planned - 8 days in total - and the end finish was excellent.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE