How i carry some of my kit....VIDEO

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
Nice one Jamie! Really love the toggle idea on the Roycroft frame, I'm going to add them to one I built a while back. :)

rg598

Native
Those are some interesting gear choices. I would love to hear your reasoning behind them.

You said it's your gear for the year; down to what temperatures do you camp with just that blanket? No sleeping pad? Do you improvise each time?

Why a 5lb blanket instead of a sleeping bag? The Patrol bag from the MSS weight about 2.5lb. Even the cold weather bag from the MSS is under 5lb. Is there anything behind it other than the cool factor?

Why a Roycroft pack frame? I understand using one in an emergency, but it leaves a lot to be desired as a pack frame, compared to just about anything that is out there on the market. 25lb base weight plus several liters of water, and you'll be carrying close to 30lb on a Roycroft frame. You are more of a man than I am. That's my idea of torture. :)

How many calories per day are you calculating for food? That just does not seem to be enough food for five days. Even just rice at 2000 cal per day will be more volume than that.

I didn't notice any water filtration device. How do you purify water when on the go?

Oh, and what is the benefit of that pot stand thing? I've heard Dave say that it lets the fire get to the pot better, but it seems like a lot of weight for very marginal utility if that's all it is.

By the way, big thumbs up on the lighters.

Anyway, thanks for your input.

Finally managed to watch this video.
Many thanks for posting. some good ideas there. I especiallylike the tiered approach of haversack to compliment the roycroft or vica versa. the toggle idea is very handy too.

I noticed you dont have any first aid equipment (I may of missed that)?

I read elsewhere you forage/hunt/trap and gather to add to your mors pots worth of food. Is it a case of the mors pot worth of food being used as a standby rather than the actual rations to feed from? I think I carry more than that in my brew kit.

I really like that its a kit aimed at providing tools and essential items rather than a 65ltr pack of ultralight kit.

Blaidd

Nomad
Jun 23, 2013
UK
Just saw this myself. Thanks for that. I'm a big fan of Mr Canterbury and I know there's a Roycroft pack in my future. It was good to see your take on it. T^

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE