How hard can it be?.............

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
I must admit to being a founder member of the "suck it and see" society. For example (Oh - and here I give all the usual qualifications - don't try this at home, if you do as I do you're an idiot etc etc etc)

- booked a flotilla sailing holiday round the Greek Islands many years ago, as a pick-me-up after being made redundant - me skippering 30ft yacht, and wife crewing. 3 outings in a dinghy in the local gravel pit, and reading Ian Mellor's "Sailing can be simple" on the flight over seemed to be sufficient preparation, and we survived the two weeks, despite F8 winds, a katabatic squall and wind against tide between two islands, and some serious Ouzo abuse!

Same with snow-shoes - never even put one on before the trip in January to Norway, but basically seemed like common sense.

However, I'm not too sure the same philosophy would apply to cross-country ski-ing, and I'm thinking about this for next winter, pulling a pulk.... Strangely enough, its not so much the travelling in the flat that would seem to be the problem - I think I can work out that bit ok. It what happens when you get to the hilly bits. For example, in the Nordmark trip, I encountered some serious hills, and whilst this was no problem when walking and pulling a sled other than simple fatigue, on skis it would probably all get out of hand very quickly. I think I'll need some training on hilly bit ski-ing first, if for no other reason than learning how to slow down!

So - recommendations please on the best way to learn the basics of ski-ing. I'm not looking to win any Olympic awards as the Super slalom, just how to go downhill slowly, and possibly how to tackle uphill climbs (although I can always remove skis, put on snow-shoes and walk that bit!)

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
You've got the option of artificial slopes, but they don't lend themselves well to decent one on one tutoring when there's loads of little kids flying about the place.

What about a good course at somewhere like Glenmore, they should be able to sort you out, possibly even combining the pulking along with the xc-skiing ...

http://www.glenmorelodge.org.uk/index.asp

I've never been but I've heard good things about them for many years

Dreadhead

Bushcrafter through and through
get telemark skis for going uphill they make the world of difference. head up to glenshee and get some skiing practice in so you can get your snow ploughs and edges right tis simple once you get the hang of it. never pulled a pulk though so not sure how that would work best but i remember seeing a video of a guy using fibergass poles to attach his pulk so when he went downhill the line didnt slacken and pulk didnt run into him, instead it was held at a distance by the poles

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
I think I would agree with Shewie and get some lessons. It's worth learning how to set up your skis properly because if you fall and they don't release the force is likely to lead to some serious leg injuries that are slow to heal.
Although I don't think the basics are hard to learn once you get into ski touring, Telemark and Nordic there is a lot of information to learn about each different sport.
Have a good think about each discipline and pick the one that's suits what you would like to achieve. Cross country Nordic kit is fairly light but it's harder to turn because the boots are low and your heel is free. Paradoxically Alpine ski gear is heavy but you can lock the heel down and ski as you would on the piste. Telemark is arguably the best of both worlds. For expeditions Nordic is a great way to travel but in the Uk conditions may only occur every few years. Most years you can Alpine tour in Scotland but you need to know the winter mountains and be able to get up regularly to catch the conditions.

Artzi

Oct 31, 2010
Finland
So - recommendations please on the best way to learn the basics of ski-ing. I'm not looking to win any Olympic awards as the Super slalom, just how to go downhill slowly, and possibly how to tackle uphill climbs (although I can always remove skis, put on snow-shoes and walk that bit!)

Skiing itself is not that hard, but it takes some time to get use to balance. Best way to learn is just to try it! :)

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
From the sound of it you'll be OK on skis, as Artzi says it isn't that hard - except possibly on hard-packed snow and ice, which is a lot harder to ski on and also a lot harder to land on. :(

Before the time if you're out of shape you might want to work on your fitness a bit.

Bumbler

Nomad
Feb 22, 2013
Norway
www.bushcraft.no
I think I would agree with Shewie and get some lessons. It's worth learning how to set up your skis properly because if you fall and they don't release the force is likely to lead to some serious leg injuries that are slow to heal.

X - country ski bindings don't release.

You need a pair of proper x-country skis. And Ski-fells for going up hill, and the latter is amust if you are going to use a pulk,
And then find someone who can teach you the basics. In places like Nordmarka you will be in well prepped ski tracks. Unless you decide to leave them.

But there are other things to worry about to. Right now 5 people have died in avalanches in Troms county alone. All of these avalanches where started by the people who died in them. And right now there is a rescue operation in a 1,5km wide avalanch. So before heading out you have to check what the danger level is, and now how to interpret it if you are goimg somehwre hilly or to the mountains.

So I would suggest that you hook up with someone local. Who could also teach you the basics if needed.

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
You could get yourself a pair of these.....& some ski poles
Rollerski3-V.jpg

Once you've got the hang of those you're ready for the real stuff.............though falling a*** over t** on roads or grass is a lot harder on the old derriere than it would be on snow :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Ashmarsh860

Mar 30, 2013
North Dorset
Andy, I had never skied before I found myself in Norway on a Military Survival course. As long as your balance is OK you shouldn't have any trouble, it is literally just putting or sliding one foot in front of the other! Issues can arise on descents if your not wary and you let your skies runs away with you, if you think your about to take off at 1,000 mph the best bet while your still moving slowly is to perform a self induced fall, just flop to one side and slow yourself down, this is not as simple if your pulling Paulk or sled as that could still drag you on a merry jaunt! To slow down is really as simple as the 'Snowplough', just turn your feet inwards so the tips of your skies meet and the inside edges are pushed into the snow and the resulting shape acts nicely as a brake and will slow you down! For the uphill sections, you either need a pair of traditional 'Langlaf' skies with a strip of reindeer fur (or synthetic fur) on the bottom, which lies flat as you go forwards on the flat and down hill and acts as a brake as you go up hill to stop you from sliding backwards down the slope you are trying to climb, when you are climbing the tip is the turn your skies outwards, and walk up the slope, its called 'herring-boning' as the pattern left by your skies looks like the herring bone pattern you might find in material. Modern skies have a synthetic 'skin' that you can quickly slip onto the ski when you reach a climb. I have used both and I prefer not to have to keep stopping the skin my skies. When it comes to turning, your not going to want to corner like Franz Klammer if your pulling a paulk, I just constantly adjust my line with little corrections rather that trying to 'carve' a line through the corner. If there are others in your group who can ski, get behind them and let your skies follow their tracks, you will find that this is a bit easier as their ruts will steer you and all you have to do is avoid falling over! Hope this helps, be prepaid to eat a bit of snow and before you know it you will be skiing like you were born on them!

Bumbler

Nomad
Feb 22, 2013
Norway
www.bushcraft.no
You could get yourself a pair of these.....& some ski poles
Rollerski3-V.jpg

Once you've got the hang of those you're ready for the real stuff.............though falling a*** over t** on roads or grass is a lot harder on the old derriere than it would be on snow :rolleyes:

Good idea. They willl help you build up the muscles needed for skiing and save you a lot of pain...well actually not. As you will have them with those instead of the skis, he he

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Andy, I had never skied before I found myself in Norway on a Military Survival course. As long as your balance is OK you shouldn't have any trouble, it is literally just putting or sliding one foot in front of the other! Issues can arise on descents if your not wary and you let your skies runs away with you, if you think your about to take off at 1,000 mph the best bet while your still moving slowly is to perform a self induced fall, just flop to one side and slow yourself down, this is not as simple if your pulling Paulk or sled as that could still drag you on a merry jaunt! To slow down is really as simple as the 'Snowplough', just turn your feet inwards so the tips of your skies meet and the inside edges are pushed into the snow and the resulting shape acts nicely as a brake and will slow you down! For the uphill sections, you either need a pair of traditional 'Langlaf' skies with a strip of reindeer fur (or synthetic fur) on the bottom, which lies flat as you go forwards on the flat and down hill and acts as a brake as you go up hill to stop you from sliding backwards down the slope you are trying to climb, when you are climbing the tip is the turn your skies outwards, and walk up the slope, its called 'herring-boning' as the pattern left by your skies looks like the herring bone pattern you might find in material. Modern skies have a synthetic 'skin' that you can quickly slip onto the ski when you reach a climb. I have used both and I prefer not to have to keep stopping the skin my skies. When it comes to turning, your not going to want to corner like Franz Klammer if your pulling a paulk, I just constantly adjust my line with little corrections rather that trying to 'carve' a line through the corner. If there are others in your group who can ski, get behind them and let your skies follow their tracks, you will find that this is a bit easier as their ruts will steer you and all you have to do is avoid falling over! Hope this helps, be prepaid to eat a bit of snow and before you know it you will be skiing like you were born on them!

That sounds perfect - cheers!

actually, that reminded me that the fiance of one of my daughters is ex-RM, and spent several months a year in the Arctic - guess I could get a few tips from him. Although he and I have somewhat different ideas on fitness levels - his being that you should be able to do a 25km walk with 70lb pack, me being able to walk a couple of hundred yards without collapsing:)

Skaukraft

Settler
Apr 8, 2012
Norway
As Bumbler said; get proper skiis with propper fells! That is absolutely essential.
They must have the correct spring tension/weight ratio. To slack, and the skiis will get you nowhere, and to tight the skiis will get you nowhere (without excessive use of power).
Also remember that most type of of-pist mountain skiis won't fit in most prepared slopes, they are to wide.
Bad/wrong skiis will drain your power in no time at all.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE