How far would you go to survive in the woods?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Qwerty

Settler
Mar 20, 2011
Ireland
www.instagram.com
So a woman in NZ was taking part in a 20km race, took a wrong turn and ended up lost in the woods. She dug a hole in the forest floor and covered herself in dirt to keep warm overnight. All very sensible and practical considering her situation.

But here comes the unconventional survival tip. She drank her own breast milk.

So you think, well, she was panicked, alone & lost in the woods overnight and wanted to survive.

Turns out she also had two litres of water, gel packs and an energy bar!

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...by-drinking-her-own-breast-milk-10240554.html

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
She could have been getting "too full" and uncomfortable, needing to express and not wanting to let it go to waste - and at the same time conserving her rations....

Stevie777

Native
Jun 28, 2014
Strathclyde, Scotland
She did the right thing, dont know of any medical facts that would say otherwise.

To Answer your question though, How far would I go to survive in the woods... if i could survive on breast milk alone, I would give it a damn good try....I can only hope i'm lost for no more than a week. Dont think my lips could handle a fortnight.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
On a recent program with Professor Alice Roberts they were testing milk, water and isotonic drinks to see which were the best at rehydrating the body and milk came out top. And I suppose with breastmilk having evolved for us there shouldn't be much to beat it.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
[video=youtube;XXNIp524e0s]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXNIp524e0s[/video]

(great little programme) a rugby squad tests milk vs fancy drinks...milk wins.

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Doesn't make great cappuccino though...

Some people were horrified when they found out I'd tried my wife's breast milk (expressed) - they were quite happy to drink stuff that is sucked out of a different species but drinking something evolved over millennia for humans to drink was repulsive to them.

i was disappointed, though, it wasn't very nice although to be fair, it might not have been as fresh as it could have been

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
Some people were horrified when they found out I'd tried my wife's breast milk (expressed) - they were quite happy to drink stuff that is sucked out of a different species but drinking something evolved over millennia for humans to drink was repulsive to them.

"The twisted genius who first milked a cow"

I can't think that it would be the wierdest thing that she experienced in the last year, and being a long distance runner, and the build of anyone mad enough to do long distances especially after recently giving birth, she was probably not very satisfied after her meal.

GGTBod

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 28, 2014
Breast milk is no big deal, if things got bad enough i'd go lord of the flies on you and hog roast the Piggy of the group

Lacijag1

Forager
Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE