How do you stop tape wicking water ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

myotis

Apr 28, 2008
Somerset, UK.
In the last couple of days of heavy rain, I have been mopping up puddles from the groundsheet of my new Shrangrila 5.

I have now found the problem and its the tape loops sewn into the seams to use as hanging loops, near the apex, and the ones nearer the base to attach the bath tub groundsheet if you aren't using the full inner tent (Nest) as I am.

The tapes are wicking water through the seams they are sewn into (the seams are sealed) and allowing large drips of water to land inside the tent.

I could cut them off, I suppose, but has anyone any ideas of some way of treating them to stop them wicking the water through.

I could try some fabric waterproofing liquid, but not convinced that would work in these circumstances.

I've been camping over 50 years now, and only once before have I had as much rain make its way into my tent (very old tent and a full week of torrential rain in the lake district), so I am not best pleased at the moment.

So any ideas gratefully received.

Graham

myotis

Apr 28, 2008
Somerset, UK.
If it's taped and sealed I'd send it back for a replacement

I'm not convinced that would help, as the problem seems to be the material used for the tape loops, which they may well change, if they get lots of complaints, but my guess is that a replacement would be exactly the same.

Graham

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Seriously though I'm sure Go-Lite didn't build these new ones and expect the customers to have to re-proof or hack bits off them. It must be a duffer.

myotis

Apr 28, 2008
Somerset, UK.
Seriously though I'm sure Go-Lite didn't build these new ones and expect the customers to have to re-proof or hack bits off them. It must be a duffer.

Maybe, but a search on google found other people who have cut off the loops to solve this same problem. Much as I like this tent, I am finding several "really stupid" aspects to it. Anyway I have emailed both GoLite and the retailer about this, so we will see what they say.

Graham

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I hope you get a positive reply from them, I've looked at them a number of times over the years and hardly heard a bad word about them.

You'd think one of the basic principles of a shelter was to keep the rain out, maybe they just overlooked that part in development.

I think it's fair to expect leakage on a £20 Argos special but never a Shangri-La

myotis

Apr 28, 2008
Somerset, UK.
There was in fact rather a lot of talk about the previous models leaking as they came with unsealed/untaped seams, and horizontal rain like we get here in the UK blowing through the hoods covering the mesh vents. Both of which were meant to be fixed in these new 2010 versions.

But the first time I used it, I had rain blowing through the ventilation vents, and if you look carefully the hoods barely cover them. This does not seem to have been a problem this time, so I guess the rain was more vertical. The seams are however sealed and taped.

As you say, not what you expect from a nearly £400 tent.

Graham

myotis

Apr 28, 2008
Somerset, UK.
"I would recommend trying to seal the seams on the gear loops first before cutting them off. You can use any silicone based seam sealer. "

That is the entire reply.

Graham

myotis

Apr 28, 2008
Somerset, UK.
The dealer I bought it from, after consultation with Golite, is sending me some seam seal.

The dealer was concerned about the issue, but I would have liked a bit more sympathy from Golite.

Hopefully this will solve the problem.

myotis

Apr 28, 2008
Somerset, UK.
Just to add to this a little, It has continued to rain here off and on, sometimes heavy, but there is no dripping.

It looks as if it needs to be a long period of very heavy continuous rain to saturate the tape. Then once saturated it allows the wicking. I think the dripping occurred after 2 days of almost continuous very heavy rain

Maybe, like the rain blowing through the air vents, in practice this will happen rarely, and I have just been unlucky to have experienced both within the first couple of months of owning the tent.

Having said that continuous rain seems to be a fairly common feature of my holidays :-(

Graham

foxtrot

Jan 18, 2009
chesterfield
Have had same problem, solved by sealing stitching on outside with good coat of seam sealer. Cutting off tapes - however neat and tight to seam- will not resolve problem.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE