How do you get big on youtube?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

slammer187

Nomad
Jul 11, 2009
Ireland
I've posted this thread on another forum but I just want to see what kind of response and help I can get.

A few months ago I made a youtube account because I was totally new to youtube and wanted to see what it was like.I posted some "alrightish" videos and now I've made a new account called "UnlimitedBushcraft" where I intend to post "good" youtube videos.I was just wondering if anyone has some good tips for me to get started!

http://www.youtube.com/user/UnlimitedBushcraft
http://www.youtube.com/user/86thmountmerrion

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Figure out what people want to be shown. Rather than asking for people to tell you, go and do the research yourself, you will get more from it. There are search functions attached to all the forums, use them to see what questions keep coming up, then decide whether a video would be a good way of answering the question, and finally, whether you are up to doing that particular demo. Expertise shows. :)

For instance, questions that keep coming up about sharpening tools, about rigging up a tarp and the knots used, making feather sticks (and related, why an outdoorsman might need an axe, or to even to know how to split wood for a fire), and based on what have seen on courses and meets, there is a lot folk could learn about making a good cooking fire.

Whatever you choose, aim to make your video/demo either better or clearer than anything else out there. There is so much data on the web that you should aim to really shine, don't settle for less ;)

Skills demos are better than discussions. Discussions work just fine using the written word. So, talking about a kit list is dull. Demonstrating how you pack your kit into a really compact bundle would be a more interesting show.

Mirius

Nomad
Jun 2, 2007
North Surrey
Youtube is also a community thing. Have a look at the popular videos in the bushcraft genre, and try to see why they are popular. Don't be afraid to comment on those videos and post a video response if you can. People will find your videos by searching but all the time they have low view counts they won't be peoples first choice. If they watch a popular video then watch some interesting short response from you they may then link back to your other videos to see what else you've got. Obviously go for great content in those response, don't do too much sales pitch.

slammer187

Nomad
Jul 11, 2009
Ireland
Thanks guys for the help from my previous account I've been able to see what my most popular videos were and what people wanted to see!
Thanks for the tips and advice!

Nightwalker

Native
Sep 18, 2006
Cornwall, UK.
www.naturalbushcraft.co.uk
Chris has got the idea, it's kinda what I've been trying to do aswell. Even just quick tips like this for example (uploaded 5mins ago): Caring for your Axe with Wax

On my longer videos I do a quick 20sec intro/highlights, promoting my videos and website. I certainly wouldn't focus on doing intros and stuff like that first, work on content and quality of filming. I had a couple of people on my site ask me where you get Amadou from so today I made this video: Gathering Amadou Tinder

It's certainly addictive once you get going, it's nice to see feedback in comments and you often get suggestions and even learn things thanks to other responses.

Take a look at my channel: www.youtube.com/NaturalBushcraft
And good luck with your own.

slammer187

Nomad
Jul 11, 2009
Ireland
Thanks for the help Ashley they've all been saying how great your vids are on BushcraftUSA! I really like your vids and you're doing very well on youtube!
Thanks for your help!

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
What are your personal strengths? There are oodles of Bushcraft vids on youtube, and just repeating them is a bit dull IMO. Expanding on them though, offering some more in depth skills, would be very valuable. Maybe show flint and steel firelighting rather than just firesteel and bowdrill, which make up the lions share of firelighting demonstrations. Axe-craft is an area greatly in need of being expanded upon, from what I've seen - most of the youtube vids are pretty basic stuff, so if you have the skill with an axe it would be a great start. Crafts also do well, rather than just general skills - what are you good at making? Is there something you feel you can do better than anyone who's put a vid of it up before? A good place to start is always to see what you have to offer that others don't!

Pete

slammer187

Nomad
Jul 11, 2009
Ireland
Thanks Draven and so far I've been making videos of things that I haven't really seen on youtube and it seems to be working out well enough!

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
I just watched you video where you lit fire using an Opinel and a bit of quartz - that was brilliant, I had never seen a knife used as a striker on flint, but with a bare bit of quartz is just great - much more readily available in many places. I daresay a lot of the trouble you had was due to the knife blade not being quite hard enough (cooler sparks) and the quartz not quite being hard enough (fewer sparks - how stupid I'll look if quartz isn't that much softer than flint :eek: ) but you didn't give up and you got fire, so damn good effort!

Pete

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
Why would anyone want to be big on youtube?

I think if you have something you want to share a message to get across or whatever it is just another medium for doing it but I view it as a means to an end rather than the aim being to get lots of views.

slammer187

Nomad
Jul 11, 2009
Ireland
I don't want to be BIG on youtube but I want to be getting the views that can get me heard and get my videos and information out there!

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
Its how the arktic monkeys made it famous

As someone who used to go and see em in Sheffield before they "made it famous" I think I would dispute that. They were the first band of the cyber generation who let a certain amount of their music out for free before the first album came out but word spread as much by radio 1 airplay, tv coverage etc as anything else. Journalists were impressed that when they went to see this new unheard of band there was always a gang of folk at the front singing along to all the songs knowing all the words, happens with any new band now but it was unheard of then. In their early days I remember a bit of chat on the forum but I don't remember youtube. Bottom line is they made it famous because the first album had a lot of great tunes. It's not the medium its what you put on it that counts.

andywinkk

Nov 12, 2007
wigan
www.garmentsdirectltd.co.uk
As someone who used to go and see em in Sheffield before they "made it famous" I think I would dispute that. They were the first band of the cyber generation who let a certain amount of their music out for free before the first album came out but word spread as much by radio 1 airplay, tv coverage etc as anything else. Journalists were impressed that when they went to see this new unheard of band there was always a gang of folk at the front singing along to all the songs knowing all the words, happens with any new band now but it was unheard of then. In their early days I remember a bit of chat on the forum but I don't remember youtube. Bottom line is they made it famous because the first album had a lot of great tunes. It's not the medium its what you put on it that counts.

i knew it was somthing like that and yes they are good

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE