How do you find the nearest woods?

Asa Samuel

Native
May 6, 2009
St Austell.
I live around farm land so as you can imagine there is a lot of fields but not much woodland. Nearest thing to a woods is a small bunch of elder trees in the corner of a field.

My question is how do you find where the nearest woods are that you can light a small fire and set up a hammock for the night?
Also, if you find a piece of woodland how do you know whether it is ok to stay there and how do you find out who the land owner is to ask?

If anyone near me knows of any woodland that is a good place to stay in that isn't that far away from the gorran/boswinger area then please speak up :)

Thanks in advance,
Asa.

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
maps.google.co.uk is your friend.
allow for variation in woodland though as alot of the arial photo's in question are 3 years old.
after that its just a case of well "casing" the woods you find.
look around your local area and see what you find ;)

bri66

Feb 17, 2009
somerset
Hi Getamap from the Ordnance Survey is quite a handy way of finding woods with access through them,as far as camping goes if you're discrete and tidy no one will know,Brian

stevenout

Jun 4, 2009
Surbiton
As an alternative I use digital maps: Mapyx Quo is free software but you pay for the maps and it links to Google Earth. It is very useful for planning routes and since I do a fair amount of trekking, it comes in useful.

ANDYRAF

Settler
Mar 25, 2008
St Austell Cornwall
Woodland Valley Farm near Laddock is probably your best bet, allows fires and if you ask they allow some vermin control (rabbit and squirrel). At a fiver a night it's reasonable.

Andy

Asa Samuel

Native
May 6, 2009
St Austell.
Thanks for all the replies, I've seen one patch of small woodland, probably just big enough to hide myself in (a public footpath does go through it but it's just at the edge) I think I've been through it before, I've convinced SWMBO to come for a walk with me some time this week and scout it out as a possible camping spot.

Andy, thanks for the heads up, that looks like a great place to stay, is there a seperate area where campers go or is it you pay your fiver then wonder into the woods? Also, are there any toilets there? Often farms that let people stay don't have any.

ANDYRAF

Settler
Mar 25, 2008
St Austell Cornwall
At WVF there are two areas in use, at one there is an 'ole in the ground already dug and enclosed, the other area is where you learn the tree squat. There's quite a few local BcUK members who regularly use this farm so keep your eyes peeled on here for dates etc.

Andy

Asa Samuel

Native
May 6, 2009
St Austell.
That's probably a much better idea :p Our landlord is the local farmer, I don't think his reign goes that far but he might know who owns it.

Thanks to everyone who's replied :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE