How do you deal with wasps?

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
To set the scene, I've been in a quandry about destroying some wasp nests at my place - one was at the entrance to the orchard bit and another was at the bottom of the front lawn.

I was in a quandry for a few reasons:

1) I quite like them. They don't really cause any hassle this time of year. Wasps kill garden pests and feed them to the grubs in the nest. The grubs, in turn, secrete a sugary fluid that the adult wasps feed on. It's only later in the year when the grubs have grown up and left the nest that wasps start craving sugar and begin to 'hassle' us.

2) I needed to cut the grass. The orchard bit has been left to grow wild apart from where I cut out a path around it, but the path was getting long and the noise and vibration of the mower would almost certainly agitate them into attacking me, especially as the nest was on the pathway. The front lawn definitely needed cutting too.

3) We couldn't justify the cost of getting a pest controller out.

4) Dealing with an underground nest is a bit different to dealing with one above ground and the most likely method for dealing with it would be to put poison powder down at night time.

5) I didn't want to lay down any poison because I had a hunch about what might happen.........

So, yesterday evening I went out for a look at the nest in the orchard to find that I was right and the job had been done for me by Mr Brock.
There was a nice big hole in the ground with dirt scuffed up and a few pieces of papery nest and a couple of sorry looking wapsies, perhaps reminiscing on the happier times of their great colony.
Brock certainly had his feed of fat, juicy wasp grubs and I did a bit of 'obvious' tracking (not too difficult considering the length of the grasses) to see his entry and exit points and was delighted to see that another wasp nest, that I didn't know was there, had also been ransacked. I took some pictures on my phone and will upload them at some point.

People bang on about Honey badgers being hard as nails but our own ones are pretty damned tough too and a lot better natured.

Just the front lawn to go now and this time they'll be forgiven for wrecking it.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
I wonder if they get stung or if their coat protects them somewhat? Brave souls either way!

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
I've witnessed a young badger attacking a nest, it's hilarious, they keep attacking, then squeaking and running off, then build enough courage to return and the whole process is repeated until they get what they want. I've seen them do roly polys on the grass to get wasps off their heads, really funny, especially the noise they make as they are getting attacked.

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
Apparently, they get really excited and their fur puffs up and protects the body, but the mouth and nose must surely get stung.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
I've witnessed a young badger attacking a nest, it's hilarious, they keep attacking, then squeaking and running off, then build enough courage to return and the whole process is repeated until they get what they want. I've seen them do roly polys on the grass to get wasps off their heads, really funny, especially the noise they make as they are getting attacked.

Well i guess thats where the term "mad as a badger" comes from...

locum76

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
I've got to get me a sack o' badgers. the field of raspberries means the farm's riddled with wasps.

marooned

Settler
Jul 25, 2010
Somerset
Badgers attack wasp nests when the larvae are nice and fat (July-Sep) and yes it's true they puff up their fur in the excitement of the raid, which protectes the body. Obviously noses are vulnerable. Wasps don't fly at night so badgers have the advantage being nocturnal, so most are asleep when brock attacks. If the nest is underground the badger digs down and exposes the larvae, but will also eat the adults. I'd let the badger finish them off, but if you're keen to get rid of them you could move the nest (do it at night - if you're brave enough....or poke it with a long stick from far away) and put it in brock's path. The nest is mainly paper so you could burn it though I'd rather see nature recycle it and a fat, happy badger plodding off with a smile on his striped face :)

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
Here's some pics.

First nest I knew about.
DSC00914.jpg

Entry point.
DSC00917.jpg

Nest I didn't know about.
DSC00918.jpg

Exit point. Some of it had previously been trodden down by me to get at the cherry tree, so they took the easiest route through.
DSC00915.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE