How do you carry your water?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

verloc

Settler
Jun 2, 2008
East Lothian, Scotland
I use a Webtex Camelbak clone for overnighters, it is not very good as it leaks if water gets to the screw lid thingy. I have to find that old Ortleib 4l. baldder I had a while back.

I have just got some of those water collectors for my hammock from an Ebay auction, you screw a pop bottle to them and hang them from the corners of your tarp.

Problem is whenever I go bivvying it seems to stay dry, I am not complaining you understand.

I also sometimes use a Nalgene bottle.

Stewey.:D

Good Stuff - what did you think of the Ortleib 4? I'm wanting something secure to carry water in and that was on my "must find out list".

sam_acw

Native
Sep 2, 2005
Tyneside
I think for short trips the best place for water is in you. I've been reading a bit about various amazon tribes recently and their attitudes to food and drink are different to our. Rather than rationing food into meals they tended to eat everything and drink a lot before setting off. I guess stuff doesn't go bad like this and it is easier to carry things inside, leaving your hands free ;-)

O

oilyrag

3ltr camelback and two 2ltr fizzy pop bottles. Only fill the camelback and make sure I drink it dry each day. Crush the fizzy bottles flat and use them for ferrying water at camp, washing, cooking etc. Only carry them full if there is no chance of resupply or the terrain is isolated or dangerous.

preacherman

May 21, 2008
Cork, Ireland
Pattern 58 copy and crusader mug in plce bag attached to hip belt on rucksack. 1 x nalgene in plce bag on other side of hip belt. Looks a bit military maybe but it takes 2 kg off my shoulders. 1x nalgene in side pocket of rucksack reserve water.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Any chance of instructions for the leather water bottle and a larger photo of the coconut Please.

Stu.
A
bigger image of the coconut bottle

Jul16203.jpg

Mug and leather bottle
Mylatestprojects-2.jpg
the leather bottle was made acording (ish) to a tutorial elsewhere on the site.
Ooops lost the resize!

ganstey

Settler
58 pattern water bottle in PLCE pouch for bimbles.

3 litre Robinsons squash bottles (with carry handle) for around camp - I take several with me and keep them in the car if I'm down in the wood (can park in camp).

I keep a rolled-up 2 litre pop bottle in my pack just in case.

G

crazydave

Settler
Aug 25, 2006
Gloucester
you cant beat a squashed pop bottle. I had to lug glass bottles once when we couldn't get plastic ones anywhere. recycled wine bags are good as are the ortleib water bags as they make good pillows as well.

ortleib do a 10l dry bag which doubles as a water bag if you want.

I keep my doss bag in a drysack and roll the top down to use the sack as a water bowl if i want to do any laundry or have a good wash.

lou1661

Jul 18, 2004
Hampshire
Hi,
In my pack 2X 58 pattern water bottles and a 3ltr Camelbak, in the car... now that just gets silly!!! 4X20 ltr jerrycans 2X2 Quart US bottles and a 2ltr Camelbak straped for the driver and front seat passenger to use.

Lou

IntrepidStu

Settler
Apr 14, 2008
Manchester
Ive got a realy crappy water container at the moment. It takes 10 litres and is made from cheap clear plastic, with an ill fitting tap on it. It has an intergratet wooden dowl handle that feels like it will snap any second.

Im after something better for a fixed camp (around 8-10 litres). Can someone recomend something (maybe between the MSR Dromedary or the Camelback??).

Glen

Life Member
Oct 16, 2005
London
Does no one use 6 pint milk containers, same as me. They come with their own handle too.

I'm always worried theyll leak with even a moderate amount of pressure, I do however use a cut down base as a mini wash bowl.

For water, depending on circumstances, I use a mixture of 1X58 pattern, 1XNalgene type various 1&2 litre pop bottles and 2X10 litre colapsables.

malcolmc

Forager
Jun 10, 2006
Wiltshire
www.webwessex.co.uk
I like to balance the water load on either side; so two 58 pattern bottles in PLCE pouches on the belt and two 1lt stainless vacuum flasks (one hot water the other cold), one in each of the side pockets on the pack. Should do for 24 hours.:D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE