How do i make Nettle cordage?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

shanec

May 11, 2005
Didcot, Oxford
Hello everyone, im new here. I'm also new to bushcraft and everything but im very interested. Ive been watching some ray mears programs and looking for articles on the internet. One thing i haven't been able to find is how to make nettle cordage.

Could anyone possibley explain to me or point me towards a good tutorial please? Id like to know how to get the fibers from the nettles and how to make it into cordage and everything, would anyone mind doing this for me please? Thank you very much, and nice to be here :)

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
OK, if you get Ray Mears latest dvd - Bushcraft Survival - there is a nice "extra" tutorial showing explicitly how to do just what you ask.

It's also covered quite well in his Survival Handbook too.

Happy crafting and try not to get stung!

Dave

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
Interesting link there JD. :)

You're just down the road from me - literally.
Also if you can go to the moot at Braizers at the end of the month there are loads of people who would be able to help I'm sure.
See the thread in meetups.

Nice to have you aboard by the way.

Cheers
Mark

shanec

May 11, 2005
Didcot, Oxford
Thanks alot guys ill go have a look at all your links and everything, was very helpfull :)

Buckshot, ill go have a look on the meetups and read about it id like to go would be cool. Thanks again for all your help :)

hootchi

Settler
Here you go buddy. This is what I posted a bit back for someone else but is probably easier to look on the sites because they have pics and stuff.

This is how I do it:

Cut the tall old nettles off as low down as possible, not dead ones, still green.

Strip of the leaves

The nettles consist of a kinda hard woody hollow stem and the fibres you want are on the outside of this so lay the nettles on a log and squash the nettles with a stick to 'pop' the stem. You don't want to damage the fibres.

Open the stem out, like you have just cut a slit up the side of a toilet roll opened it out. (got me?)

Now you have a strip of nettle with the fibres on one side and the hard pith on the other.

Snap the pith but not the nettle fibres and pull the pith from the fibres. You want to try to get the fibres as long as possible and clean of the woody stuff inside and old stuff on the outside. Sorry I'm not deliberatly trying to bore you!

Dry the fibres in the sun or radiator. These are the raw fibres and are ready to be rolled into string.

Its quite hard to explain the rolling so you could try plaiting the fibres or roll them. Take a few fibres and fold it not halfway, otherwise the joins will be together later. The couples of fibres you choose will be half the string thickness.

grip the two halfs of the fibres near the fold between thumb and index finger, hold the fold and twist each half together but indivually. Let go of the fold and let the two strands twist together like string- magic!

Grip the new string and trist the fibres again. The fibres need to be twisted the same way and the string twists in the other. Try to keep the fibres equal thickness and when the fibres need lengthening add in some more nettle.

I think ray roll the fibres on his thigh and that is possible if the fibres are quite thick. This roll is how I make cordage from other sources aswell, such as clematis bark.

It really is easier than it sounds when you get started and you develop your own techniques after a bit.

Any bits you don't understand let me know

cheers:cool:

shanec

May 11, 2005
Didcot, Oxford
Thanks alot for your post, i got most of it it was just the twisting and stuff was abit confusing lol, i think its just hard to put in words and easier to show, i kinda got it tho but i found some websites witch show some pictures of doing the twisting and stuff so it shouldnt be a problem. The main thing was how to get the individual fibers but you explained that very well, thanks :)

Bye the way, another question. I've read some posts about nettle tea and stuff and it says about the nettle 'tops' or something what are the 'tops' is it the flower or something?

Thanks again everyone :)

hootchi

Settler
shanec said:
...Bye the way, another question. I've read some posts about nettle tea and stuff and it says about the nettle 'tops' or something what are the 'tops' is it the flower or something?

Thanks again everyone :)
The tops are not the flowers but the top four (or so) leaves on the plant that are the newest and freshest and much softer than the old moth eaten ones lower down. :cool:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE