How do I get an even finish with leather dye?

Toots

Aug 22, 2005
Sutton in Craven, North Yorkshire
Have just finished making a bag fro SWMBO from veg tan leather. Nothing too flashy but I am unsure of how to get a good even finish with the dye. I have made quite a few sheaths and dyed them successfully in the past (Fiebings dyes) but never anything with a substantial surface area. Kind of hoping there is an easy way to not get a tiger stripe kind of finish. Any advice greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Rik.

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
dampen the surface with water so the stain 'floods' the surface quickly so you get a quick even coverage. That and a number of layers evens things out too;)

g4ghb

Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
Should be fine Rik - what you are trying to do is slow the penetration - if it is already damp / wet the dye kinda floats on the top then slowly gets absorbed

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
I bought some cd some while back now on making gun holsters (should have got the making sheaths one, but pressed the wrong button and didn't notice :censored: ) The guy just dipped the whole thing in dye! I don't seem to succeed in getting a very even finish, I have tried dry leather, wet leather but never get a flat colour, which is just as well, cos I prefer a degree of variation:rolleyes:

nickg

Settler
May 4, 2005
Chatham
A bit kate i know but as well as wetting the leather you should try applying the dye with a pad of cloth about the size of a golf ball or slightly bigger, Y find that using the cotton wool on a wire that comes with the dye dumps the stuff out too fast & makes it streaky, The cloth pad (called a rubber by french polishers) doesnt feed the dye out quite so fast so it flows out at a more even rate FWIW

Cheers
Nick

clcuckow

Settler
Oct 17, 2003
Merseyside, Cheshire
Slightly OT but how do you guys handle excess dye? I just tend to spend ages with a clean cloth rubbing down after the hot dip so it does not rub off and mark my(or anybody elses) cloth's.

ForgeCorvus

Nomad
Oct 27, 2007
norfolk
Leather can be spray dyed, dilute it down and don't breathe the mist
I'm assuming that airbrushes work the same way....never played with one

brancho

Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
I now dilue the dye with meths (denatured alcohol) and apply to damp leather and build up in a number of layers now.

To do stripes use undiluted dye on dry leather. Use a paint brush to aply some stripes but leave gaps allow to dry and repeat leaving to dry between applications until you the coverage you want. to look like this.

Thirdsheath1.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE