how do i convert a piece of antler into a handle?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bucketosudz

Tenderfoot
Aug 23, 2010
UT-USA
Drilling the antler would be the first thing that I would try. I would drill the hole so that the tang would fit correctly and I would take a skinny piece of antler, brass, horn, wood or similar and fit it to the tang proper and then you can epoxy the bits together. The skinny piece will cover any deviations you had in the drilling and make it look nice and then you can sand any residual epoxy if needed.

If you have a saw and feel comfortable with it, you can slice your antler in half and scribe both sides to the profile of the tang. Chisel out just enough space for the tang and some epoxy and glue the halves back together with the blade tang recessed. Any of that make sense?

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
I think I've heard that you can soak it in water for ages so the spongy part goes soft and you can then just shove the tang in. When it dries it's rock solid

Dogoak

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 24, 2009
Cairngorms
I think I've heard that you can soak it in water for ages so the spongy part goes soft and you can then just shove the tang in. When it dries it's rock solid

Yep, that will do it. It can be worth taking it out once you've got it in, let the antler dry and then re-fit with some epoxy.

Gailainne

Life Member
If you put the antler into a pot of boiling water the core will go soft enough to force the tang into it, I just left it in for a minute or so then tested how soft it was with my thumb nail, I had the blade set up in a vice, and just forced the handle over it, I used a wooden mallet for the last bit. When it had cooled it was rock solid. The only thing I would say is the tang on my blade was small maybe 1mm thick by 4mm wide, if yours is a lot bigger it might be an idea to drill a small pilot hole before hand.

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
hey Sam, id do it by drilling a hole then cover with brass or somthing, or carfully fill the hole with dyed resin...

i never knew antler could be boiled to soften it like that, thanks chaps....:)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE