How did people cut their nails in 'the olden days'?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
May seem a weird question, but it's one of those that has hung around in the back of my mind for years. I used to use nail scissors until I discovered nail clippers (marvellous invention) but what would people do before the advent of nail scissors?

And if you were in a bushcraft situation, how would you trim your nails - assuming that you don't have a SAK, or a sharpening stone to file them. Maybe you could bite your fingernails but not your toenails - I suspect that the last time I could get my foot to my mouth was when I was a baby!

Geoff

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
I always bite my fingernails, haven't cut them with scissors in years :eek:
And while I COULD bite my toenails... I don't. And won't. You could use a rock to file them I suspect but it wouldn't be too pleasant. Shard of flint to cut them? I've cut my nails with a knife before. Not 'cause I was out camping and felt the irresistable urge to cut my nails, I was just sitting at my computer and didn't have scissors... but I had my clipper! Uh... Mora Clipper that is :p

Perhaps people didn't care that much. I expect that in a world where everybody wasn't wearing shoes and socks, nails wouldn't last too long anyway.

shep

Maker
Mar 22, 2007
Norfolk
You can make a nick with anything sharp (eg. knife) and then peel away.

That's if you can uncurl them after reading Eric's post!:D

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
3-1-Executioner-with-axe.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE