How big is your Pole, and can you send me a pic?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dirty Karlos

Forager
Oct 16, 2007
Hull
www.karlholtby.com
Good thread, some real nice work there!

I have just this week got myself a lovely straightish, piece of rowan though to be honest I'm not sure what to do with it now. I'd like to carve something on it eventually as I am quite artistic but how should I go about the preparation of the stick, sorry staff ;-)

What would be the best tool for removing bark etc?

Thanks.

Gaoler

Tenderfoot
Jun 22, 2009
Notts
I tend to use three of my many sticks above all others.

My Blackthorn thumbstick is my absolute favorite (at the moment)
I have a Hazel stave which I stripped, charred then oiled for use on or around water then my first foray into stickmaking whick is a birch knobstick.

I have found through trial and error that I am most comfortable with a stick that fits snugly into my armpit. They can be substantial yet not to intimidating for other hikers of a timid disposition. Longer sticks do tend to get you those disaproving scowls in the more traveled areas of the UK.

Another use is as steering sticks for fearless/clumsy young children who have no sense of danger ie. steep drops, unseen holes or impending dog egg collision.

Does anyone actually own and hike with one of those Chestnut crooks seen in so many garden centres?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE