How best to clean rusty knives?

ADz-1983

Native
Oct 4, 2012
Hull / East Yorkshire
Hi,

Hoping somebody can give me some advice as I did something really stupid :(

I was really lazy and didnt unpack from my last trip a month ago until today and stupidly forgot to clean my knives properley at camp so have just taken them out of sheaths and they're a mess with rust. They're only cheap Mora and a Bushlore but still want to take care of them.

Can anybody give some pro advice on how best to clean up the rust now, do I treat them first with something and then rub with wire wool etc?

Also advice on what with/how to clean at camp best would also be appreciated.

TIA,
Adam.

:notworthy

abyrugej.jpg

3yhedusu.jpg

Last edited:

Two Socks

Settler
Jan 27, 2011
Norway
How bad are they? I succesfully stropped off rust from a mora the other day, but that was only light surface rust that came of easily. If it is really bad you could treat them with an acid (Think Coke or vinegar) and then go at them with wire wool and elbow grease.

Finding a rusty knife always makes me gringe a bit, even if it is only one of my moras...

StuMsg

Tenderfoot
Feb 10, 2013
Aberdeen, Scotland
I heard somewhere something about rubbing a potato, cut in half, to remove rust - but it could be used for something completely different, can't quite remember.

Jun 27, 2011
Canada
How bad are they? I succesfully stropped off rust from a mora the other day, but that was only light surface rust that came of easily. If it is really bad you could treat them with an acid (Think Coke or vinegar) and then go at them with wire wool and elbow grease.

Finding a rusty knife always makes me gringe a bit, even if it is only one of my moras...

+1 to what Two Socks says about Coke. Used it as a kid to get rust off everything from out bikes to our pocket knives, and if there was any left over, we had something refreshing to drink... ;)
Cheers
Alex

Two Socks

Settler
Jan 27, 2011
Norway
Oh, and at camp I wipe my blades clean with whatever is available (moss, leaves, grass, paper, trousers, socks) and always make sure they are dry before putting them in the sheath. If the sheath gets moisture in it your knife will rust from this when you store it.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Thin oil and wire wool for the blade face and spine. A good go on the stones will sort out the bevel. If you have whet stones then use the slurry on your finger tip and polish the rest of the blade. Easy enough that, its only surface rust.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Yep - no harm done there - wire wool and mineral oil.

In camp I use a lump of cotton wool soaked in oil (kept in a film container) to wipe down my knife. Then I light a fire with the dirty bit :)

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
My dad used to use hydrochloric acid, but no idea where he got it from, probably nicked it from work. I have to make do with vinegar. I use distilled vinegar for pickling, and it is also useful for a multitude of cleaning tasks. You can get it in gallon containers, Indian supermarkets are a good source.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE