HotBox Meals

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Crafty

Forager
Apr 7, 2009
...Location.... Location....
After composing a video illustrating how to use a new self-heating meal unit called 'Hotbox' in July 2010 (See HERE), I have finally written a review of it, based on my experiences of home testing and field testing.

HotBox Meals.
An independent review
By Robert R. B-M.

Introduction:

'HotBox Foods' are a company who sell a pre-cooked, pre-prepared meal in a "box" that is claimed to of been marketed under the brand 'Quick Cuisine' for over 3 years in France.
Hotbox Foods sell instantly-heating drinks, soups, and meals.

I will be reviewing the Hoxbox meal, now the Hotbox meal is simply a flat tin around 6 inches long and 1.5 inches deep, which has been inserted into a formula of Quick Lime, and a sachet of water to later be activated (see below). They have a choice of either Ravioli, Chicken Tikka Massala and Rice, Chilli Con Carne, Beef Stew, Curried Beef and Lentils, or Pasta Spirals with Beef and Tomato Sauce flavours.
Although there are a wide range of flavours, due to my vegetarianism - I only tested the Ravioli flavour.

Operation:

Now please note this only applies to the meal, and not the other products, which I have not tested.

I found operation of the Hotbox meal quite easy; Firstly what you will have to do is turn the box upside-down, underneath the cardboard has been perforated to make an oval-shape. This piece of cardboard must be removed. Once removed, there is a thin layer of cardboard covering the heating unit. You must push down until you hear a click. I never heard a "click" in testing, but you can certainly feel a 'give' by the elements of the unit.
What I found was that I would push very hard, and cause the can of food to come out of the heating unit - so make sure you only push lightly until you feel the aforementioned "give".
After this stage, you must turn the box onto it's front. Once on it's front - take off the large tab to expose the can of food. Laying on top of the can is a packet containing a spork, and a napkin (This is a luxury for anybody used to the rough slops cooked on a Trangia or Jetboil). After removing the utensils, wait for around 10 minutes. If the unit isn't heating sufficiently - shake for around 15 seconds. You must be careful of the steam.

The food can afterwards be eaten by carefully peeling back the lid of the can, and using the spork to eat.
I'm hoping instructions on how to eat food won't be necessary.

Flavour and Consuming:

I can only talk about the Vegetable Ravioli variety, but the other flavours sound appetising. Whether they live up to their name is a different matter.
Like most canned food - it is precooked. So there isn't much risk of food poisoning. The idea of the Hotbox meal is just to warm the meal, but does well in heating the food to a tasty temperature.

Once again, comparing the food of the Hotbox food to generic supermarket tinned food - the flavour of the ravioli is similar, and I can't taste the ravioli well (but I can't usually with most ravioli, and admittedly - there were tonnes of parcels of ravioli). But the meal contrasts well with the tomato sauce the ravioli is saturated is in. Unlike normal tinned food, the tomato sauce is unusually thick and contains delicious chunks of tomato - which was an unexpected treat. I guess the French are more fussy eaters than us Brits!
If used in the field, I would be pleasantly satisfied after hours of hiking, to eat one of these Hotbox meals.

When I home tested the meals, I was slightly disappointed with the depth of the can, but I understand this is needed to ensure the can is thoroughly heated. This didn't bother me as much outdoors though; when I field tested the Hotbox meals, I was at the Scouting jamboree 'Norjam 2010'. As I chose not to have catering, I lived off the Hotbox meals, and I was always full afterwards, every day.

Design:

One of the major factors that drew me to Hotbox meals was the fact the unit is simplistic in it's activation, due to the fact everything is completely self-contained. And I love it because of this, as things become so much more difficult in the field.

Price:

The price is slightly cheaper compared to other products such as 'Hotpack' meals from Canland UK, which costs around 4.95 pounds per unit (29.70 pounds for 6).
Where as Hotbox meals cost 21 pounds for 6 (3.5 pounds per unit), and 35 pounds for 10. This seems a reasonable price.

Benefits:

-Quick-heating;
-Very HOT heating;
-Good flavour;
-Simple design;
-Self-contained;
-Portable.

Dis-advantages:

-Bulky compared to dehydrated meals;
-Average flavour for connoisseurs (such as Gordan Ramsey);
-Heavier than regular meals;
-Carelessness can cause easy burning of user by steam;
-Lots of waste to dispose of.

Conclusion:

Overall, I think that the Hotbox does well in providing hot meals in relatively quick-time, and I was surprised by the delicious sauce.
The operation is fairly simple, and whilst it requires a "knack" to get used to - it's very easy to get accustomed to using the Hotbox meal in the field.

I do not think the meal is suitable for those who wish to travel light, but does well in providing food for those who are engaging in casual hiking, fishing, or mountain-biking. And it could even be used by lazy office workers on a lunch-break I'm sure (though you have to provide some ventilation)!
After eating this meal, I will be keen to review the other products on offer, in the near-future.

-7/10-

-RECOMMENDED-

Retailer's Website: http://www.hotboxfood.co.uk/

Last edited:

11binf

Forager
Aug 16, 2005
Phx. Arizona U.S.A
hi Crafty..looks kind of neat and cool at first glance...great review and vid thanks...remember the British were the 1st to invent the self-heating can (soups me thinks) during ww2 and was a popular item with the troops both Brit and American...vince g. 11B Inf...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE