Hot sauce

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
I once asked my local Indian restaurant in Crowborough to make me a Lamb dish the way they eat it.
I am used to "heat' but that was pure torture. Of course I had to eat it, just to show them. Not fun to go to the loo after that I can tell you!

i hope you made a full recovery?!
makes me wonder how they get used to it-- I once lost my sense of taste for a few days after biting in a "" not very hot"" Korean chillies (and 3years ago in OZ I was working on a farm and sowing what was supposed to be the world's hottest chllie-- I had to wear gloves and use tweezers to handle the seeds....)

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
In the cupboard at the moment.

Franks isn't red hot at all, but it has a huge amount of peppery flavour. Great to add to a chilli con carne, and lovely on Thai style scrambled eggs (add onions, tomato and Maggi seasoning).

The Sainsbury sauce is surprisingly good too. The stuff in the big bottle is rapidly becoming a favourite, hot, and a great all rounder. Get some if you see it.

On the windowsill are about 40 plants. They need a greenhouse really, but it's just for fun.

1D7F90B6-677E-448C-B7C6-E5BF96D11ABD_zps6mrbe7vp.jpg

Red Habanero
Tongues of Fire
Summer of Fire
Loco (trailing habit, multicolour fruits, can go outside)
Yellow Chiltepins (Google these, they're rare and interesting)

Aaand....Carolina Reaper, officially the hottest chilli in the world. Now what is it about these little puppies that makes you think there may be trouble ahead?

Last edited:

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Franks also make a really nice Red Hot Ketchup. Basically a thickened normal Red Hot sauspce.
Not hot at all. I think it is like Tabasco without the heat!
The Sriracha is nice. I think it is now made in the US?

A tasty hot sauce is the Filipino Mama Sita's Labyuo sauce.

That Carolina pepper - looks vicious!

Yep. Sriracha's been made in California for about 30 years or so. The town keeps trying to shut them down with lawsuits because of the acrid odor (or so they claim) but they dropped the suits when they learned that other states had offered incentives for the plant to move to them.

nephilim

Settler
Jul 24, 2014
Bedfordshire
I make my own, but I'm unconventional with my recipe.

I use syrup in it, both rosehip syrup and maple for sweetness, and then I throw in some chopped dried/dehydrated fruit (raspberries, apples and banana), for the viscosity of the sauce, I use cider brandy (alcohol burned off) and cider vinegar, and for heat I use a combination of chipotle chillis and thai green chillis.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Did I just see chilli chocolate...I feel sick haha

Sent from my VF-795 using Tapatalk

Just a touch of chili powder (preferably a neutral one such as cayenne) in hot chocolate is great. HOWEVER! It should be pure chili powder and not a mix or a vinegary sauce.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I make my own, but I'm unconventional with my recipe.

I use syrup in it, both rosehip syrup and maple for sweetness, and then I throw in some chopped dried/dehydrated fruit (raspberries, apples and banana), for the viscosity of the sauce, I use cider brandy (alcohol burned off) and cider vinegar, and for heat I use a combination of chipotle chillis and thai green chillis.

That actually sounds pretty good!

nephilim

Settler
Jul 24, 2014
Bedfordshire
I boil it and put a flame to it so that the harsh notes burn off and the rest simmers away. I'll boil then turn to a simmer for maybe 5 minutes max. Not enough time for it to reduce, but enough to get rid of the flavour and alcohol I don't want.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE