Horseradish Advice

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Barney

Settler
Aug 15, 2008
Lancashire
I found a dozen or so of these plants yesterday and I dug one root up to look see, I am now brimming with questions:).

The root section I took was about 2"x1" is this quantity of root stock acceptable, how old will the plant be with roots of this size, any recipe for home made horsradish?

locum76

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
The root section I took was about 2"x1" is this quantity of root stock acceptable?

that should work, its vigorous stuff, it may take a couple of years to reach a harvestable size though. If you wan't plant it, don't let the root dry out.

how old will the plant be with roots of this size?

Its difficult to say, it depends if that was the biggest bit of root. The stuff at work doesn't seem to get more than an inch or two across. the roots can get really long, quite quickly though.

any recipe for home made horseradish?

clean it and then grate it or finely chop it (using a woodlore knife of course) then mix it into a mayonnaise, preferably home made. I would tart it up a little with a squeeze of lemon too.

:)

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
If you are going to grow it on at home, do it in a container - its more invasive than mint!

Peel and grate outside...in a respirator!

The roots can get huge - I've had some for years and it can get wrist thick in soft soil!

Red

jimford

Settler
Mar 19, 2009
Hertfordshire
When you grate it your face will be stinging - it really is pungent!

BTW, horseradish is listed in the Oxford Book of Poisonous Plants!

Jim

stevesteve

Nomad
Dec 11, 2006
UK
I remember grating my first one.

Absolutely no problem at all... for the first minute or so. Then Arrrgghhhhhh. It is like tear gas. I was staggering around the kitchen ;)

So yes, take care 'cos once it gets to you you will really know about it.

Cheers,
Steve

jimford

Settler
Mar 19, 2009
Hertfordshire
Been meaning to grow some of this for ages. Thanks for the reminder :)

I suggest you don't grow it yourself, it can be a problem to get rid of. Check out a disused allotment or even a railway bank. Railway banks were used as allotments in the last war and you can still see horseradish plants from trains on the embankments.

Jim

beachlover

Aug 28, 2004
Isle of Wight
I suggest you don't grow it yourself, it can be a problem to get rid of. Check out a disused allotment or even a railway bank. Railway banks were used as allotments in the last war and you can still see horseradish plants from trains on the embankments.

Jim

I have an allotment and there is plenty of unused ground by hedges and where we park up, so I was planning to put it in there, rather than let it overtake valuable growing space on mine. ;)

Must keep an eye out for some now, as I adore horse radish sauce and very rare (for that read nearly raw) beef.
Drooling now at the thought :rolleyes:

galopede

Forager
Dec 9, 2004
Gloucestershire
The Ex missus and I did a load many years ago. We fed it into the grating tool on a food processor. Worked well and we got a nice full bowlful.

Then I took the lid off! WHAM, instant tear gas with that quantity! Smashed my head on the door post while running out to the back yard as I couldn't see!

Lovely stuff though.

Gareth

jimford

Settler
Mar 19, 2009
Hertfordshire
How easy is horse radish to identify, is it quite a commonly found plant?

It look like very big dark green dock leaves, growing straight from the ground.

Once you've seen it, you'll see it in all sorts of places - often abandoned gardens, allotments. As I mentioned in a previous post, there's loads on railway embankments.

It will particularly stand out in this weather. While grasses and other shallow rooted plants will be turning brown, the very deep rooted horseradish will remain green.

Jim

locum76

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
lots of folk asking for ID here, so here are some shots from the web.

leaves...
horseradish.jpg

flower...
armo_04.jpg

root...
armo_02.jpg

Regards

Rob

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE