Horse Shoe fungus anyone?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

dan_druff

Aug 4, 2012
Hull, England
So after moving to rural Sweden (Värmlands) a few weeks ago to live with my girlfriend i thought id take advantage of getting out and about in the woods and being all bushcrafty etc.

I was totally surprised how many horse shoe fungi there are around...

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

i also went looking for some fat wood that i read about and managed to find and dig out a whole root!

this stuff burns so well... even when damp...

hope i havent made anyone too jealous.. if its any consolation i am experiencing long dark days (4pm pitch black) and apparently have -15c / -20 to look forward to :-(

p.s. does anyone have any advice with the amadou layer? I harvested a few and got quite big pieces of it but they are 1/2cm thick, when i try to slice them thinner to give them the velvety fluffy texture i only manage to slice small pieces of it instead of large sheets.. Then when i left the thick pieces to dry i just couldnt do much with them at all... still kept them though as i thought someone may be able to pass on a few suggestions? (and it took a lot of effort)

and yup.. i reposted this from another thread.. theres more people constantly viewing this one ;-)

Tack så mycket!

bushwacker bob

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
You can hammer the amadou into flatter sheets once you have cut the hard bits off. Some folk rub wood ash or saltpetre into it to improve its combustibility but it isn't really necassary.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE